Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

"HELP" 6000K HID Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 180Custom
We used to think it's crappy quality HID bulbs, but have come to the conclusion it's something with the new G37s, especially the sedans. We have now tried 5 different brands of HID bulbs on our customers cars and they all have the same problem with not turning on sometimes. It's always only one side too.

Currently testing the Philips 6000K bulbs ($100+ set!!) and we are still hitting the same problem. Maybe it's all a plot by Infiniti so we don't put in aftermarket bulbs

Thanks,
Alex
Wow... I guess i got lucky then. And for those of you knocking the ebay bulbs, they've run strong for 7+ months and if they were to go out they were only 10 bucks. They are just as bright as factory and have the same beam pattern.(At least the pair i got.) I doubt they are going to be as reliable as factory but I've had a pair in my maxima for about 2yrs now with no problems other than the problem the OP is having with his bulbs. I also have a full led setup, which draws alot less current then halogen bulbs. Maybe, just maybe since my car is pulling less current the hid's have enough power to ignite at start-up. I dont know, just throwing idea's out.

Here is a video of my headlights on a cold start up. Its a crappy cell phone video so bear with me.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="1280" height="750" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bdnwsc8XL9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by maxfinity; 04-02-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The bulbs I use actually came on every time I used them. When they were brand new, it just took a little more time to warm up (this was what I meant to say in my previous post). They turn on immediately with a half second warm up time currently. So your issue is a little weird. I would check to see if your bulb is making good contact or not with the plug.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
xenaskyline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes its not the bulbs fault per-say. it could be your igniter and or ballast faulting out.
Also make sure that the bulbs match the wattage of the HID system. the igniter, ignites the bulb, and its up to the ballast to sustain the constant current flow. if your putting 55watt bulbs in our 35watt system, there is your problem.
you will either drain & fry the igniter/ballast out in a few hours of operation, or the igniter & ballast wont have enough power to sustain current flow to the higher power bulbs and shut off in a few seconds.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Jackooze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used to think it's crappy quality HID bulbs, but have come to the conclusion it's something with the new G37s, especially the sedans. We have now tried 5 different brands of HID bulbs on our customers cars and they all have the same problem with not turning on sometimes. It's always only one side too.

Currently testing the Philips 6000K bulbs ($100+ set!!) and we are still hitting the same problem. Maybe it's all a plot by Infiniti so we don't put in aftermarket bulbs

Thanks,
Alex
Have you ever found any solutions to the flicker problem ?
I am currently having the same problem on the drivers side.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks,
Alex
Resurrecting an old thread to give a correct answer....

I am guessing that the bulbs you are referencing are the Philips Ultinons, correct? I am not sure if you have heard of this, but the vast majority of the sellers of Philips Ultinons in the US are selling fake ones, so they are cheap aftermarket fake bulbs. This is relevant to the problem, which I will explain below.

I had the exact same problem when I tried to put 6000K bulbs in, and the same fix as well (flicking the headlight switch on and off). I posted on this forum in an attempt to get an answer, but no one even tried to help (thanks a lot, guys).

I found out that the problem is specific to 2010+ model year G37 cars (and possibly other models that are 2010+, assuming they use the same ballast). The ballast is not the problem, so do not bother with it. The change from, I believe, 2009 to 2010, is that Nissan began to use Matsu****a generation V ballasts. Apparently, these ballasts do not like cheap aftermarket bulbs, and oftentimes do not light them reliably. OEM bulbs, like the Philips bulbs (and apparently Osram bulbs, I will find out for sure when my Osram CBIs come in) always ignite properly when used with the Matsu****a generation V ballasts.

This is why, as far as I know, you do not hear of earlier model Infiniti owners complaining about their new HID bulbs not igniting properly, and why when you put your OEM Philips bulbs back in, they turn on properly. However, the fake Philips Ultinons are just cheap knock-offs, not real Philips bulbs, which is why they do not ignite properly, either.