Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
I_am_J5
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windshield Replacement

Hi Guys,

Walked to my car parked in my garage the other night and got a surprise in the form of a 10" crack in my freaking windshield!! Stupid rocks!!

I called the dealership to ask for a quote and they quoted me $695 for a replacement.

I was wondering if anyone else has had their windshield replaced and was it through the dealership or just some auto glass shop?

My concern for auto glass shops is if they would be able to remove it without scratching anything else and if they will seal it correctly?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM
cnagy65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by safelite since insurance pays for it, but if I had to do it again, I would probably use the dealer or another auto glass shop.
By the way, I don't think the dealer actually changes it, They probably use a auto glass shop.

Safelite screwed up under the A-pillars and tried to get away with it by using adhesive to hold them down after breaking most of the clips. Then the car leaked on both sides. The dealer removed the A-Pillers and saw the damage.
I had to go back to safelite and it cost them around 1500 to order all new parts and replace the window again (not an infiniti branded window though)

Maybe its my imagination but sounds like it has much more wind noise now, but its not leaking anymore and I don't want them touching it again.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My dealer wanted to charge me almost $900. I landed up going with Safelite Auto Glass. They came to my house and replaced my windshield for $300. I'm very pleased with the installation. I've had the new windshield for six months without any issues. Even after a wicked winter, it's as good as new! I would definitely recommend them for the price.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I_am_J5
Hi Guys,

Walked to my car parked in my garage the other night and got a surprise in the form of a 10" crack in my freaking windshield!! Stupid rocks!!

I called the dealership to ask for a quote and they quoted me $695 for a replacement.

I was wondering if anyone else has had their windshield replaced and was it through the dealership or just some auto glass shop?

My concern for auto glass shops is if they would be able to remove it without scratching anything else and if they will seal it correctly?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!
I'd be thinking the auto glass shops have more experience replacing windows then a dealer would actually. I would make sure and look for OEM glass though, many Glass shops would prefer to use non-oem and pocket the profit.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
BHB 91

I had a bad experience with Safelite, too. I had an old Spec V Sentra and they had to come back out to fix it right after screwing the trim up around the top, right part of the windshield.

I would also figure in your deductible if you have insurance coverage. Might as well go to an Infiniti dealer if it doesn't make much of a difference.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I_am_J5
Registered Member

Thanks everybody for their input.

My concern with regular auto glass shops is that I'm afraid of their unfamiliarity with the car. Just like cnagy65 said, they didn't seem to install it correctly and I wouldn't want to take a big risk given that.

I also wanted to ask if anyone tried to get a crack in the windshield repaired instead of replacing it. There are some shops out there that say that they can repair it. Even tho it won't disappear completely, it will almost be unnoticeable. Do you guys think that is just BS ?

My thought was to try one of those shops out and pay the $35 or so to see if they can repair it. If not, then I would venture the route for replacement?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
BHB 91

Some cracks are repairable depending in size and location. I would explore this if it is an option as it is cheaper and you keep your original windshield. Some insurance companies will even pay for thus since it is cheaper than a new windshield.

If the crack has gone to an outside edge, repair will not be possible.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the crack is smaller than a dollar bill, it could be repaired. But your 10in crack probably needs to get replaced.

I used a mobile windshield repair guy locally. Did a great job, no problem whatsoever. $250 out the door and he comes to you.

Maybe you can find out the shop/service that your dealers uses for repairing windshield and contact them directly.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by I_am_J5
Thanks everybody for their input.

My concern with regular auto glass shops is that I'm afraid of their unfamiliarity with the car. Just like cnagy65 said, they didn't seem to install it correctly and I wouldn't want to take a big risk given that.
Dealers dont replace windshields, they call local glass shops!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
roots4x

Don't go todealers. They contract out to 3rd parties and charge an extra fee on top.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I_am_J5
Registered Member

Wow...good to know. I will definitely steer clear of the dealership. I'll just have to find a shop that has good reviews. The crack has since propagated and doubled in length since Sunday. It started from the edge of the glass right above the registration sticker, so looks like a replacement is inevitable.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
I_am_J5
Registered Member

Does anyone happen to know of a reputable shop in the Houston area to replace my windshield? Has anyone had theirs replaced here in Houston? And if so, how did it turn out? Did the new windshield seal property to prevent any leaks? And was there any indication or evidence of workmanship that reveals that your windshield has been replaced? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 AM
cy7878

Dealer will get the factory glass and parts and call some 3rd party to come.
I have had good experience with Safelite, but it's still shop/installer dependent.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

i agree.... dont go through the dealer, but you can ask them who they use and then call them directly. paying for the "OEM" glass is ridiculous, so go with either PPG, APT, or Pilkington. They make OE quality glass. I'd also rather have someone who has installed many G37 windshields to do mine. too many stories about broken clips and such. save $50 or avoid the install issues?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
brycerocket

I second using ppg. I have it on my car with no complaints