Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

hid kits.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
stevelam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hid kits.

whats the better brands for HID kits? so many to choose from and i know some of them are crappy cuz i got a set for my honda and they crapped out after a couple years. i wanna get my high beams hid. i also was told that hid kits for fogs r bad cuz they heat up and can damage the reflector cuz its to small. is that true?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I got all my HID stuff from www.DDMtuning.com and they are awesome, I bought the Raptor HID kit.

and for what it's worth I had HID fogs for a long time and never had any problems and I know plenty of other people who have HID fogs and don't have any problems whatsoever.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Clutchr6

^^^ If you don't mind waiting for over a month for the raptor kit.
You can pay ten bucks more and get the ddm slim ballasts and wait about a week or so. Do not pay for expedited shipping thinking they will ship the same day, cause they will most likely ship 2-3 after you place your order.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
bitNine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications, for everything HID. Reliable, FAST, and awesome customer support. People you can actually talk to on the phone that know all about HID.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevelam
i wanna get my high beams hid

how are you planing on doing that when your low beam & high beam are the same bulb & reflector collector bowl, that's controlled by a light restriction flap?
so technically your low beam & high beam are already HID.

Last edited by ImStricken; 03-25-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevelam
i also was told that hid kits for fogs r bad cuz they heat up and can damage the reflector cuz its to small. is that true?
depends on the fog-light bulb itself. is it a 55watt, or a 35watt?
stock halogen headlight low beam = 55W (high beam =65+w)
standard HID = 35W

Which do you think makes more heat?
A Watt is a derived SI unit for power, which is a measurement of energy or heat (a form of energy) per second (measured in Joules). Therefore, a 55 Watt bulb would consume 20 Watts, or 20 Joules of heat per second, more than a 35 Watt bulb. In layman terms, a 55 Watt bulb would burn hotter than a 35 Watt bulb. With this in mind, one would assume that a 35 Watt HID bulb would generate less heat than a 55 Watt halogen bulb and therefore not melt the housing.

and dont forget that our headlights that contain the fog-light inside & nissan stock fog-lights: have venting ports that allow the headlights to breath so to say. otherwise all that heat would run out of 'sealed in' space- and after a few hours of night-time driving, our headlights would explode.
AFTER MARKET FOGLIGHTS ARE OFTEN TIME SEALED!! those you can not put more then the specified bulbs inside- and often time crack the outside lens to allow venting. those are the fog-lights that will burn everything inside. those are also off-road use only often and are not meant for long periods of burning.

HOPE THAT HELPS.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 AM
stevelam

some store told me the fog light theory about the to hot thing. they were trying to sell me some blue bulbs for my fogs to match the color of my h.i.ds. i was asking if hid's would be a better way to go and he said that. maybe he just wanted to make some more money?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by ImStricken
depends on the fog-light bulb itself. is it a 55watt, or a 35watt?
stock halogen headlight low beam = 55W (high beam =65+w)
standard HID = 35W

Which do you think makes more heat?
A Watt is a derived SI unit for power, which is a measurement of energy or heat (a form of energy) per second (measured in Joules). Therefore, a 55 Watt bulb would consume 20 Watts, or 20 Joules of heat per second, more than a 35 Watt bulb. In layman terms, a 55 Watt bulb would burn hotter than a 35 Watt bulb. With this in mind, one would assume that a 35 Watt HID bulb would generate less heat than a 55 Watt halogen bulb and therefore not melt the housing.
So if that's the case, why wouldn't a 55W HID be fine in a housing designed for a 55W non-HID? Why use a 35W HID?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutchr6
^^^ If you don't mind waiting for over a month for the raptor kit.
You can pay ten bucks more and get the ddm slim ballasts and wait about a week or so. Do not pay for expedited shipping thinking they will ship the same day, cause they will most likely ship 2-3 after you place your order.
When I bought mine they shipped same day. That was over a year ago, so maybe now they take longer to get out, Im not sure

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
So if that's the case, why wouldn't a 55W HID be fine in a housing designed for a 55W non-HID? Why use a 35W HID?
Coupes use 55W sedans use 35W. You can always go from 55w -> 35w with no problem but if it originally uses 35w you can't use a 55w
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
you could if you really wanted too. but why? some of the best features of HID aside from the pretty color: is greater light output, and lower power consumption.
power consumption puts a strain on your alternator, and if your running many things at once, it will cause more fuel consumption as the power-band dips and the vehicle has to increase the rpm slightly to allow the alternator to produce a steady flow of more power.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
You can always go from 55w -> 35w with no problem but if it originally uses 35w you can't use a 55w
correct. not only is the housing going to be placed in jeopardy, but the wiring that is designed to only supply 35watts will be placed under stress and heat by forcing 55watts through its wires. that could cause wire insulation to melt, the wires to get red hot, the wires to melt anything around, the fuse to blow, etc.- its a mess. DONT USE GREATER WATTAGE'S THEN WHATS SPECIFIED. THE LAMP REFLECTOR WILL BE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES THEN!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by ImStricken
you could if you really wanted too. but why? some of the best features of HID aside from the pretty color: is greater light output, and lower power consumption.
power consumption puts a strain on your alternator, and if your running many things at once, it will cause more fuel consumption as the power-band dips and the vehicle has to increase the rpm slightly to allow the alternator to produce a steady flow of more power.
Makes sense. Lower wattage = brighter lights with HID. Other benefit: pretty color.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
caliz007

It wont burn and get them from DDMTunning.com
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
pette25

anyone use 5k or 6k for the fog lights and keep the stock hid?