Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

What's the best seat/steering wheel position?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 AM
llee916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best seat/steering wheel position?

Ok.. I'm sure many of us just simply adjust their seat and steering to where it is comfortable. But, I was thinking the other day.. What is the best seat and steering wheel arrangement for a comfortable drive but yet be able to support a sporty driving style? This question has come up since with tilting and telescoping available for the steering wheel, there can just be so many ways to arrange things if you think about it and there also seems to be a wide variety of arrangements that are comfortable.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Uh.. that's a pretty tough topic to discuss because it all depends on the drivers height and weight.

I drive 50/50 calm and spirited. All my previous cars, I've had the steering wheel as low as possible, and pulled out towards me half way. The seat, for the bottom cushion: the front is raised as high as possible, and the back is lowered all the way. The back cushion... It's pretty reclined, but not extreme, just enough so when I put my back to it, I could place my left elbow on the door's arm rest, and hand at 9 o'clock. When I'm driving spiritually... my back isn't usually in the seat, it's about 2-3" away with my right elbow on the arm rest, hand on the shifter, and my left hand is placed at 12 o'clock.

I'm 6' tall, 160lbs. I use the lumbar during long drives, and my side bolsters are inflated to about 75%, so when I sit back, I don't slide side to side on turns.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Fail topic
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pauliewalnutzz
Fail topic
Great contribution.

Here are some thoughts on optimal driving position, that professional race drivers use. Seat height should be as low as possible, with about a fists' width of clearance between your head and the roof liner (this is to accomodate a helmet). Seat distance should be close enough for you to fully depress the clutch pedal without hyperextending your knee. Seat angle should be as close to 90 degrees as possible to more directly transmit the feel of the car (although this is not practical for street driving). Wheel length should be adjusted so when your arms are extended your wrists touch the rim of the wheel, like dunking a basketball. If your arms are too extended this prevents movement. Wheel tilt should be adjusted so your hands can move around the wheel without hitting your legs, while taking the above into account.

Side bolsters should be inflated enough so you are not bracing yourself against the wheel in a hard turn, but rather letting the seat brace you.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres no "best" position......as mentioned before....its all about personal preference.

droogie listed everything I was gunna say about proper racing position....but that racing position is not suitable for normal driving...its rather tight.

my personal driving position........low as much as possible....front end of the bottom cushion raised the the top...giving me a bucketed feeling. back cushion reclined but not too drastic. Seat pushed back such that my knees are 1/2 extended. steering wheel vertically centered, slightly closer to my knees and pushed far back such that my elbows are 80% extended
Old 03-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
i have my seat lowered all the way and my steering wheel all the way up, so i am raaeeedin..;-P
Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by droogie
Great contribution.

Here are some thoughts on optimal driving position, that professional race drivers use. Seat height should be as low as possible, with about a fists' width of clearance between your head and the roof liner (this is to accomodate a helmet). Seat distance should be close enough for you to fully depress the clutch pedal without hyperextending your knee. Seat angle should be as close to 90 degrees as possible to more directly transmit the feel of the car (although this is not practical for street driving). Wheel length should be adjusted so when your arms are extended your wrists touch the rim of the wheel, like dunking a basketball. If your arms are too extended this prevents movement. Wheel tilt should be adjusted so your hands can move around the wheel without hitting your legs, while taking the above into account.

Side bolsters should be inflated enough so you are not bracing yourself against the wheel in a hard turn, but rather letting the seat brace you.
You said it, also keep hands at 3 and 9 only removing your hand off wheel for shifting.

We have 2 memory settings in our cars, why not set one for daily driving and the other for track position.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Proper driving position, according to Ralf Schumacher

1. Seat height: as high as possible.
2. Distance from steering wheel: your outstretched arms meet the sides of the wheel at the wrists.
3. Distance to the pedals: with the clutch fully depressed, the knee is still bent.

"A Formula One driver wouldn't be able to drve more than a few hundred yards in the seating position used by most drivers...

...The best seating position for ordinary drivers is not quite as extreme as in motorsport, but the principles are similar...

...A high seating position automatically provides a better all-around view and a better view of the instruments. Of course, there are limits to height adjustment: there should be at least enough room between the ceiling of the car and the top of the driver's head for a clenched fist...

...The angle between the backrest and the seat should be 90-100 degrees, i.e., nearly upright. Most drivers prefer a more shallow position for the backrest, and initially find this most comfortable. That's not ideal, however, because the backrest supports the entire back only when the spinal column keeps its natural shape...

...The headrests are not just there for comfort; they also protect against severe injuries to the neck vertebrae. In a head-on crash, the driver is first preopelled forward, then diagonally backwards and up. Therefore, the top edge of the headrests should be at least level with the top of the head or higher. Whiplash injuries and dangerous injuries to the cervical vertebrae frequently come about because the headrests are set too low..."
+ when you rest your arm on top of the steering wheel, the wrist should be able to touch the top of the wheel with your shoulders resting against the back of the seat. No cholo lean please :0.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by droogie
Great contribution.

No problem bro.