Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

painting the chrome around the windows and grill??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
apexi957

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gocats
Looks good!! How did you do it? What did you use? Any issues?
Anyways back to the original topic. I actually sprayed in on the car which is a RISKY idea. I had to literally wrap my car in newspaper. I used sandpaper , Rustoleum primer, gloss black and clear coat. Only issue was that it was a pain in the ***.

If i were to go back, i would have either got the trim wrapped which i will soon or pull them off and do it.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
gocats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apexi957
Anyways back to the original topic. I actually sprayed in on the car which is a RISKY idea. I had to literally wrap my car in newspaper. I used sandpaper , Rustoleum primer, gloss black and clear coat. Only issue was that it was a pain in the ***.

If i were to go back, i would have either got the trim wrapped which i will soon or pull them off and do it.
Thanks for bringing this back on topic

How hard/time consuming is it to remove the trim... For those that wrapped it what did you use and how hard is it to do?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM
maxximase
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Wrapping the trim requires patience, lots of patience. I spent over 4 hours doing this.

I watched this YouTube video of an installation and thought it looked pretty simple.

I bought a 4" gloss black vinyl roll from this place for $30.

The biggest problem I had was trying to get all the air bubbles out -- it was harder than expected. I got better as I went along. You actually need 3 hands to do this well -- 2 hands for stretching and placing the vinyl and one hand to apply a little heat with a hair dryer. A little heat really helps, but I was doing this alone, so I rarely got to take advantage of it.

I was really disappointed when I finished because of the bubbles and the amount of time I spent, but I decided to leave it on for the time being. I have since noticed that after a few weeks of the car sitting out in the sun, most of the bubbles have dissipated -- so it actually looks better now than it did when I finished.

The other piece of advice -- have a lot of razor blades. Make every cut with a fresh blade. I got lazy and tried making multiple cuts with the same blade a few times causing the vinyl to tear and me starting over on that piece. Cutting also requires attention and patience -- you're using a brand new razor right next to rubber molding for most of the cuts and you need to be extremely careful not to cut the rubber.

Last edited by maxximase; 02-09-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: fixed link