Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

grill painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
37Gs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried that "black chrome" kit from dupli - does not stick well. Thinking of trying thin layer of niteshade, tested it on a few no-sanded chromed plastic item layig around the house and it is holding up well. All I did was use a good wax remover from auto parts store. I think the only way to do this correct is at a min sand, prime with self etching primer and then base coat with color and mat clear. To get it right and hold up though well I think bodyshop for $100 bucks is he way to go. But I might try the rattle can paint job and see what it does since I have another factory grill. Anyone else try niteshades on no sand chrome plastic and have luck or it last more than a winter? I had it on tail lights and man did that stuff hold up well... but no 100mph rocks or bugs hitting the tails either I guess.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 AM
rabbit

Hey man, save yourself the trouble.... just remove the grille and take it to any bodyshop to have it painted. I did this with my old car (grille was already primed so he just had to spray) and it only cost me 40 bucks. Turned out better than I expected.... and definitely better than if I tried doing it myself. Well worth it if you ask me.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit
Hey man, save yourself the trouble.... just remove the grille and take it to any bodyshop to have it painted. I did this with my old car (grille was already primed so he just had to spray) and it only cost me 40 bucks. Turned out better than I expected.... and definitely better than if I tried doing it myself. Well worth it if you ask me.
this^^^^
Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
tried to paint my spoiler with automotive primer, paint, and clear by duplicolor. even sanded it (read online ALOT about sanding) and added clear coat.
polished and waxed it till it was friggin shiny BUT paint doesnt stick well with chrome. eventually came off little by little (less than a month).

plastidip w/out sanding. spray on the color of your choice if you dont want matte. i just PD'ed my grille w/out anything because it matches the matte black of faux vents and lining in the from of my PG G.
you can try to PD, clear, sand (1500 grit) clear, sand, etc... repeat. that might remove the orangepeel cuz its the standard way to do so (but not entirely sure because plastidip isnt entirely paint).
Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 AM
37Gs

talked to the rep at plastidip, orange peel just a fact, painting over plasidip is generaly not acceptable, diff cure rates will cause top coat to shrink and then crack over time. She said they have tested nearly every rattle can primer and none seem to be compatable with plastidip. They (plastidip) have a primer but you can only dip or brush it on. f that, runs!

Talking to VHT rep, their bumper/trim and hood paint looks to be the way to go per the rep using a self etching primer. I am testing VHT niteshade on some of my kids matchbox cars that have the bottom electrostatic chrome over plastic (same as our grills) and this morn I could not chip the stuff off with a screw driver. yes if I hit is hard enough of course it would chip but as of now it looks to be as good as a factory autobody paint! All I did for prep was wash with dawn and then used a wax remover, no sanding. It looks very close to "black chrome". I 'll post what the rep tells me when they reply from VHT. Thier web site does say that "niteshades once applied cannot be removed well enough for a re-paint." It bonds with the plastic vs. just sticks to. Great on most plastics but we'll see how it holds up to fake electrostatic chrome. Next test, hand the matchbox cars over to my kids for some real world testing! JK.

My local shop wants between 125-140 to paint. Agreed though, rattle can is never as good as a spray both and heat baked at 150* Nice book I wrote huh, to bad I cannot spell?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
can you link me to this VHT product?

btw... i tested plastidip + clearcoat on some random shet i have at home. looks like glossy orange peel. haha. not that bad looking though,.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
37Gs

VHT is the brand name of the paint. but WAIT!! I talked to a buddy (he runs a local reputable bodyshop) and said last month their painter painted a chrome truck grill for one of the owners and they did this...

wash twice with dawn dish soap (original not the ant-bac), scuff with a scotch bright finishing pad by hand, wash twice with dawn again, then use a good spray on wax and bug remover, let soak 1 minutes and wipe off very well. Said to use a very citrus based wax remover is best - let it sit for a few hours an then use SEM brand Trim paint (rattle can) and pop on two-three coats then clear over top. He is supposed to text me what clear and what primer to use. He said that is how they do them and they hold up to daily driving no diff than normal paint from the factory. Then he tell's me for about 50 bucks if I prep it they will shoot it for me. I like doing crap myself, so I might try it out this weekend and after I screw it up give it to them lol. I'll keep you posted.

FYI - niteshades sticks very very well, but has a tint of green to it on chrome. I assume they do that to help block the red from tail lights. I just seen Dupli color came out with a tail light black-out??? waiting on word for primer and clear to use on SEM trim paint. I think Carquest and Napa have SEM brand. I know autozone and advanced auto (pending where u live) do not. Contacting SEM today as well.

Last edited by 37Gs; 03-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM
37Gs

http://semproducts.com/images/Users/...TRIM%20TDS.pdf

there ya go !!!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i told you to come see me illl bring you to Hempstead Auto Collision who does my work for me.... 4 years on the G37 coupe grille and not one chip... my sedan almost a year and still great

Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
37Gs

lol, where are you located?

SEM is owned by sherwin-williams. However the two local stores I called said thay have to be ordered in cases of 6 each thus $$$. I found a place (local to me) in medina ohio called Autocolor a friend told me to call. I just ordered a can of each over the phone, very cool to deal with, perhaps they will ship to the rest of you guys in other states or countries?

39863 adhesion promoter - $17.98
39143 trim black - 20oz - $11.50
39043 trim and wheel clear 16oz - $11.98

so 40 bucks, funny my buddy said for about 50 bucks they would do it for me if i preped it... like screwing things up myself i guess. I'll post how it goes. i am sure almost any good bodyshop could pull this off, but this is my hobby so...

Grill looks nice, holds up well huh? is that gloss balck, flat or mat? i have a silver 2010 sedan, gonna leave the chrome on the top and bottom at first, then perhaps spray again later if I don't like it. i want sport but error on the side of classic luxo vs. all out sport. That coupe looks finom!