Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Rocker panel paint protection film

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 PM
ikon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker panel paint protection film

I didn't get a picture so let me describe it. I went to look at some used 2008 g37s' today and the 2 I liked both had these stickers right in front of the rear wheels. I assume these are some kinds of rock/debris sheilds? Either that or they are some kind of patch that are covering up paint damage? Both cars had them and they were identical on both sides of the cars and on both cars, one was white and the other obsidian.

If they are stickers to protect the paint, did all cars come with them or did the dealership install them? I browsed through the gallery here and didn't see any on any cars.

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-25-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by ikon
I didn't get a picture so let me describe it. I went to look at some used 2008 g37s' today and the 2 I liked both had these stickers right in front of the rear wheels. I assume these are some kinds of rock/debris sheilds? Either that or they are some kind of patch that are covering up paint damage? Both cars had them and they were identical on both sides of the cars and on both cars, one was white and the other obsidian.

If they are stickers to protect the paint, did all cars come with them or did the dealership install them? I browsed through the gallery here and didn't see any on any cars.
Yes, thy all come with them, from the factory.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 PM
ikon

Oh ok cool. Do you think there would be any paint fade on an 08 if I wanted to remove them? Is there a guide somewhere on removing them? Peel and windex, buff clean?

Sorry if this is all covered somewhere but I tried searching but had no idea what to call those things.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 PM
ikon

Oh, while we're on the paint fade subject, I have the same question regarding removing the "Infiniti"letters from the trunk.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Oh ok cool. Do you think there would be any paint fade on an 08 if I wanted to remove them? Is there a guide somewhere on removing them? Peel and windex, buff clean?

Sorry if this is all covered somewhere but I tried searching but had no idea what to call those things.

I have not heard of anyone trying to.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Oh, while we're on the paint fade subject, I have the same question regarding removing the "Infiniti"letters from the trunk.
I removed my Infiniti letters on day one with no issues.

A 2008 most likely will leave impressions in the paint.
Some have had luck using a rubbing/polishing compound to smooth it out.

Do a search for "debadging"
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 PM
ikon

Will do, thx for the help. I'm going tomorrow morning to pick up the '08 Obsidian G37S 6MT.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 PM
kmp

I removed my letters a year after getting mine (it's an 08), at first there was a shadow of sorts (freaked a bit) but it cleared in a day and a with a good cleaning.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
I wouldn't recommend removing them.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled both of mine off, you need to use a heat gun to soften the film and loosen the glue. I pulled mine to install a larger piece that covers the whole panel up to the mid-line of the car. Those factory protectors don't do cr@p, too small to block the debris that is coming at the fender.
The only thing you may find is that the paint is darker under the film due to the "sand blasting" that the exposed paint has been subjected to. Buffing the panel out should get everything even again.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 AM
ikon

Originally Posted by RaulGCustom
I wouldn't recommend removing them.

I see from these forums that your opinion is highly regarded. You don't recommend removing the stickers or the "infiniti" lettering? Because possible paint discoloration?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^Not to speak for Raul or anything, but he is totally debadged in the back....so I would guess he means the things on the panel.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had the film on my car from the factory since 12/06. Still looks good to me, so I'd say leave it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

bebadging shouldnt be too bad. worst that will can happen (aside from scratching your trunk in the process of debadging) is that it will leave "ghost" letters behind which will fade over time ive heard. Also depends on color of car, some look to fade quicker than others. If youre set on removing anything its better to do it sooner than later. Less troubles.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I debadged after two years lol. Had ghosting, but Raul recommended me to use rubbing compound and some wax and the ghosting came right out!

Quick Reply: Rocker panel paint protection film