Body Interior Exterior Lighting

180 Customs LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
180 Customs LEDs

As many of you know most of the work done to headlights that involves white LEDs earlier this year from 180 Customs had a problem with the LEDs burning out. That included my headlights as well...
I contacted them about my LEDs around May and I was told they were having troubles with a bad batch of LEDs and there testing new ones for replacements.
I patiencely waited till Oct 7th to sent my lights in to get new LEDs and got it back a week later. They worked perfectly..... until Nov 15 2 LEDs burned out (with probably less then 2 hours of the LEDs being on) and a week later 2 more.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced the new replacement LEDs going bad. I know there were alot of people waiting on the replacements.
Also what would you guys suggest I should do now? Igor was Alex was really nice and I cann't blamed them for the bad LEDs but I also payed close to $1k for these lights that only last a few weeks....

Last edited by hechen507; 11-24-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Sounds like they have wiring issues. That's why they they r burning out.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're right, you probably can't blame them for the LEDs burning out. They did choose to keep supporting the 20 high power LEDs mod and they're taking full responsibility. So that's good for them. I know another vendor saw this coming so they stopped offering the ironman mod because the money would not be worth the trouble for both parties (vendor and customer).

Sorry to see it happen. If it comes down to it, at least you should have the option to remove it and avoid future headaches.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
ruckus12251985

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im getting my headlights done by 180 next week. I have carbon fiber housings from limited edition and 180 is doing the install and painting everything else matte black.

the led's look good and all but im not having any done because i don't want to deal with the headache if 1 burns out. Im keeping all the wiring stock. i would see if you can get rid or just disconnect the led's and leave the rest stock
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can disconnect it by cutting 1 or 2 wires.

Can't wait to see how yours turn out!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess they have not really progressed on their LEDs then. But i am wondering to those who had done this mod the first time when the ironman mod was booming, why weren't there as much complaints or troubles? Or did they have it but didn't post up?
Was this a problem even for those who did it to their headlights before all this controversy or is it really about the bad batch of LEDs?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by ruckus12251985
im getting my headlights done by 180 next week. I have carbon fiber housings from limited edition and 180 is doing the install and painting everything else matte black.

the led's look good and all but im not having any done because i don't want to deal with the headache if 1 burns out. Im keeping all the wiring stock. i would see if you can get rid or just disconnect the led's and leave the rest stock
+1 on that thats why I don't offer to do them! No headaches!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Hayabusa02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is they aren't using biasing resistors and are over driving them
Old 11-25-2010, 05:24 PM
AndrewDDS

FWIW, I had mine done early on when the Ironman/Arc Reactor was a fairly new and unique mod. In a little over two years, I have not had one single LED burn out. I have probably 50 individual LEDs in my headlights between the shroud and the side-markers, and again, zero burnouts. So I can't speak to any individual vendors or individual products, but there are LEDs out there that won't burn out. Two years of success is hard to argue.

However, I still don't trust any LEDs for the long-term. I kept my original headlights and they're in storage in my garage. So if any of the LEDs do burn out (and I'm sure they will), I'll just throw my originals back in and sell my modded headlights.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:09 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

to the OP, i got my headlights done in summer of this 2010 and have the same issue. one of the leds in my iron man setup went out a month ago and another one did a few weeks ago. going to back to them whenever i have time as they were very nice and took full responsibility to fix them. im just kinda annoyed that it happened. plus without any changes, i dont see why it wont happen again..
Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why can't you guys just install a stupid switch to it.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 PM
g37vanbc

All I am going to say about the LED problem is "you get what you pay for!!" i had nothing but problems with 180custom...... 6 months to get a grill and emblem painted?????????? and the poorest of poor customer service. So i never got my lights done by them and i am sure glad i never did. I have had my lights done for 1 year now and have not had any LED's burn out or dim.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:29 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mystakin
to the OP, i got my headlights done in summer of this 2010 and have the same issue. one of the leds in my iron man setup went out a month ago and another one did a few weeks ago. going to back to them whenever i have time as they were very nice and took full responsibility to fix them. im just kinda annoyed that it happened. plus without any changes, i dont see why it wont happen again..
Hey man, i asked about your lights a while back. I guess i know how your LEDs are doing now. Hope you get it fixed.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Why can't you guys just install a stupid switch to it.
Weiboy, does installing a switch to the LEDs help to maintain the lifetime? (like if they aren't on together they would last longer?) Or is this the wiring problem that everyone's saying?(like they should be separated by a switch?)Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

hey tWistedMissiOn, i talked to alex (running the whole customer service show at 180 customs) and he said it has to be a wiring issue. when i go to get mine fixed im going to inquire about getting a switch put in. for spending $300 on an led mod it should not burn out. werent leds supposed to be longer lasting than regular bulbs?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
LEDs do not do well in heat. No matter what anyone tells you, the headlight housing is far too hot for LEDs to function normally for their full useful life under normal circumstances.

Quick Reply: 180 Customs LEDs