Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

180 Customs LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
swordsman54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Crap! I wonder if I should even bother putting mine on since I know they are going to burn out again. I am a little confused though. I thought the reason the LEDs were burning out was because they get too hot in the headlight housing hence the cooling fan Audi's use. So why would more burn out once it got cold out side? Seems like they would work better in the cold and worse in the summer.
Bigger temperature change?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest, i've witness the different in logic when it comes to my ironman leds. When it started to get really cold down to 35 "ICY" i notice a dead led. Then another, and then more started to die. But when the temperature went back up to 60, a few came back to life, and even weirder is if i'm driving on a long trip at night with my headlights on for hours, the majority of the dead led would come back to life. So i'm thinking it has to be the projector warming up the led for it to function again. I got 2 dead led on the passenger side and 4 on the driver side. Last night i came home and notice the entire passenger side was working again. but the driver side still had some dead ones. I think it's all this cold weather.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting. I am in FL so rarely see those temps so maybe they will last longer.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not saying cold weather is the only reason why the LED dies. I got the ironman during October so the temperature were in the warm 70s. Have yet to experience 100+ degrees as you would in FL. Since you are getting dead leds too, maybe too cold and too hot are the reason why their dying. It's definitely a problem with the LEDs and i hope 180 can find a better replacement with those Asian suppliers.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a set of LEDs in my headlights that have been running for over 1.5 years with no problem. 180 does clean work, but mine was done by some one else in CA. Not gonna say who, but I think you might know him very well.

(Ah it's good to be a civilian again).
Old 12-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Quality of materials used in the install and the craftsmanship of the designer/installer. I remember a thread a while back on how one company used superior LEDs that were worlds better than everyone else's out there and that's why their product was superior.
Oh I remember that thread VERY well. The one where some company made some serious claims and accusations against other competitors but later regretted it and now it's all come out with many unhappy customers? That one thread? If only someone can find it again.....

BB you bad man, you.

Originally Posted by NonAme
...... They tried adding larger resistors to the current LEDs hoping this will fix the issue but according to them it didn't work either. So they concluded that it's the LED themselves and not anything that 180 can control......
1. Alex seems like a stand up guy and good for him in dealing with all these issues. Props to him.
2. They tried adding larger resistors HOPING it would solve the problem? What is this, trial and error at the customers' expense?
3. By Asian LEDs, most likely I'm assuming China. Word of advice, look to get your LEDs from JAPAN (JDM!) from a small name company. I did a set for Mobile 1's Porsche 911 Turbo. The car is now shipped to Switzerland or something in Europe, with no problem.
4. Please spend the money and resources, hire consultants if you must. Do it right the first time. With electrical stuff, if it's working, doesn't mean it's working properly.

I don't know why, but apparently my account is still active. Woo!

PS. Wei touched on this, PLEASE DO NOT drive multiple LEDS with just 1 resistor to cut cost. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone in the long run. But at same time, you'll have to understand the trade off between doing that and increase in power consumption.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

I think this is why I thought about making a step by step with detailed pictures and customer support over email/phone...etc on how to mod your headlights. Making it open-source. I can do version control if someone comes up with add-ons on top of the baseline.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I have a set of LEDs in my headlights that have been running for over 1.5 years with no problem. 180 does clean work, but mine was done by some one else in CA. Not gonna say who, but I think you might know him very well.
+1. Going on almost three years with my LED's in the shroud. I've run them for hours on end, headlights on, headlights off, fog lights on, fog lights off, temperatures from -10 to 100+ and everything in between. I have never had one single LED go out or flicker. Admittedly, I know NOTHING about electronics or wiring or LEDs, which is why I paid someone else to do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
04G35NYC
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Danny @ Limited, what kind of LEDs do you use?

Last edited by 04G35NYC; 12-03-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
1SiCkG
Banned

Talking

Hey I also haventheniron man and sidenstrip done by igor and Alex @ 180 customs now for over 6 months no problems at all..I'm notnsure what color you have but I have blue I'm actually friends with both of them on a descent level and the onlymcolor they have problems with is white led's hope you get it resolved soon man...just think aboutngetting another colornif they are whiten to avoid the hassle I drive a ip coupe and chose blue (brightest LEDs they have) check out the pix if u want no problems with them at all knock on wood..

Originally Posted by hechen507
As many of you know most of the work done to headlights that involves white LEDs earlier this year from 180 Customs had a problem with the LEDs burning out. That included my headlights as well...
I contacted them about my LEDs around May and I was told they were having troubles with a bad batch of LEDs and there testing new ones for replacements.
I patiencely waited till Oct 7th to sent my lights in to get new LEDs and got it back a week later. They worked perfectly..... until Nov 15 2 LEDs burned out (with probably less then 2 hours of the LEDs being on) and a week later 2 more.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced the new replacement LEDs going bad. I know there were alot of people waiting on the replacements.
Also what would you guys suggest I should do now? Igor was Alex was really nice and I cann't blamed them for the bad LEDs but I also payed close to $1k for these lights that only last a few weeks....
Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
Hey Danny @ Limited, what kind of LEDs do you use?
I used all different kinds, depends on the application. What are you trying to make?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All stock. Problem solved.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HamstersG
All stock. Problem solved.
Winner!

bunch of idiots with them stupid leds!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny@Limited Edition
I think this is why I thought about making a step by step with detailed pictures and customer support over email/phone...etc on how to mod your headlights. Making it open-source. I can do version control if someone comes up with add-ons on top of the baseline.

Do it Danny! It will greatly help me, and people that are not based stateside
Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SiCkG
Hey I also haventheniron man and sidenstrip done by igor and Alex @ 180 customs now for over 6 months no problems at all..I'm notnsure what color you have but I have blue I'm actually friends with both of them on a descent level and the onlymcolor they have problems with is white led's hope you get it resolved soon man...just think aboutngetting another colornif they are whiten to avoid the hassle I drive a ip coupe and chose blue (brightest LEDs they have) check out the pix if u want no problems with them at all knock on wood..
Yeah I noticed colored leds last longer (somehow....) at least with 180 customs but I dont want to run into any legal trouble or risk with blue leds or any other color (but amber might work but I perfer white)
Alex has also contacted me last week explaining everything (said the same thing to me as with NonAme)

I'm hoping to get my leds replaced this spring.

Quick Reply: 180 Customs LEDs