Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Blood Red Taillight Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
ATTENTION: Apparently I struck a nerve with 180|Customs. If anyone took any of the words in my thead as a derogitory way towards Alex & Igor, I appologize.

READ:
Midnight Taillights by 180°|Custom - Page 3 - G35 NYC

Sorry to the guys @ 180 for letting out there super secret billion dollar proccess!!

EDIT: To Save $300 here is your parts list

Paint of your choise $4.99 Krylon, Plasti-Dip or $20 at a paint shop...

Razor Knife - $1.98 @ Lowes

Plastic Welder - $14.99 @ Harbor Frieght

If you need the extra bit of comfort

Clear Silicone - $4.99 @ Lowes

Last edited by DPE G; 12-06-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
What's the problem? A guy can't do a DIY on the forums? In any case you sir are awesome.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Shift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are charging $300 for a cheap DIY? This just shows you how vendors and other people who provide services take advantage of an opportunity to make some cash.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiftd
They are charging $300 for a cheap DIY? This just shows you how vendors and other people who provide services take advantage of an opportunity to make some cash.
time=money. if you've got the time DIY for sure. If not then.....
Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R34 Eclipse
ATTENTION: Apparently I struck a nerve with 180|Customs. If anyone took any of the words in my thead as a derogitory way towards Alex & Igor, I appologize.

Sorry to the guys @ 180 for letting out there super secret billion dollar proccess!!

It's nice to share information and post up DIY projects, but truth be told you're coming across like a total jerk. Your "exclusive" and "super secret billion dollar process" comments are unnecessary.

You almost seem to be saying that you exposed them for ripping people off or something. Well, the fact of the matter is that they are providing a service. Not every wants to cut open taillights to do this kind of mod. Some people don't have the ability and other people may just not have the time. It's great that you do have the ability and the time to do this kind of mod, but don't post negative crap about a guy offering the similar service and getting compensated for it.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:34 PM
DPE G

The original posts said nothing negative about anyone at 180 I put exclusive in quotes originally that was it, just to imply it isn't something that can't be done by anyone. After Alex decided to get his panties in a twist about me "flapping" my jaw then yes I will come back with a **** comment, I'm not taking away from anything of their business. People have asked on their boards how to do it and they won't tell. I asked them to do mine BEFORE they had offered the service as an idea of my own and the response on the phone was that they could not do it and that it would be too expensive for them to do it. Two months later they are doing it as a service.

I never intended to "take away" from their business but anyone who has time and patients can EASILY do this mod. it's not something left only for the pros. There is very little area for mistakes, you are cutting on a 90" bend in the plastic so the razor follows the edge very smooth. the few parts you have to bridge the gap are easy as well, a few light etches and you have a line that the razor will follow as well.

Did I originally want to come off as a jerk? No. After his first post do I really give a **** how I came off? No, not really. I'm all about educating the community. If everyone wants to do it, and would like to attempt it themselves, then I'm not going to be the douche that says, send it to me and I will do it for one billion dollars, rather than help them.

I have much more pride in things I do myself than have to pay someone else to do. If you don't have the time, that's one thing. But IMO building a car is just that, BUILDING it. If you want to pay someone else to do it then great, but I'm sure the pride level is just not the same handing someone over $ and letting them do it for you.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I just read the post @ G35NYC, and those guys at 180 took **** way over proportion. R34 Eclips, you did right by defending yourself from those jerks thinking they are the ****. Thanks for posting this great DYI, just remember that there are a lot of jerk offs in every forum trying to find a reason to argue.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R34 Eclipse, I think you're missing my point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you posting a DIY project and helping others who may want to do their own. Where you are wrong is the negative comments you made about them. Whether you realize it or not, your very first post in this thread contained a jab at them mocking their "exlusive" process. I see that you edited your post and removed that particular comment. But as of right now your other comment about their "super secret billion dollar proccess" is still there. That's the kind of stuff that I'm talking about.

I do like the work you did and I think it looks great. You should have just left it at that...there's no reason to post a link to the other forum where you argued with those guys. What's the point in that? That's all I'm trying to say....
Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why can't we all get along ca'mon
We all drve G's!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
What's the problem? A guy can't do a DIY on the forums? In any case you sir are awesome.
Yup... Why do vendors get mad that people figure out a DIY to save some money? It's not like they patent these ideas .. Get over it 180°, someone figured out your secret, and I'm sure OP is not the first, he's only the first to do a write up about it.
Originally Posted by Wlmngtn
Well I just read the post @ G35NYC, and those guys at 180 took **** way over proportion. R34 Eclips, you did right by defending yourself from those jerks thinking they are the ****. Thanks for posting this great DYI, just remember that there are a lot of jerk offs in every forum trying to find a reason to argue.
I agree... Kudos that OP found a cheap, easy way to do this himself. Props!!!

180° customs needs to relax.. We all know their sales are not going to drop just from this one DIY. Most people are still too lazy, scared or would just rather pay someone else to do it for them.. Just like painted headlight mods. Not the hardest things to do, just time consuming and takes attention to detail to make it turn out perfect!

Sorry to burst bubbles but Raul thought about doing this months ago before ever seeing this thread or seeing 180° tail lights. He just hasn't come across any extra tail lights to try it out on yet.

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 12-12-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
DPE G

Kverd I know its bern talked about by me and others in the past. I finnaly took the light off to see how they went together, and in the process of looking ran a blade down it a few times and boom opened right up and it was to late to turn back. If raul can do headlights tell him to give it a shot, should be an easy project.

Wilmngtn, yes I emphasized on exclusive....because it isnt. And I left the last one up because of their response. I kept asking a real question over there and they ignored it, but were quick to jump my case when I posted a link to my DIY. So yes I linked back to theirs to show the kind of vendor they are, not very professional to jump on ppl like they did.

All in all, im not here to fight, I am trying to helo everyone out. Jerk or not I started out with goos intentions, some people just cant take it that their gravy train gets bypassed by others. I believe they downed limited edition as well on his version of the iron mans. Im also pretty sure their is a reason igor is banned from this board....

Just sayin.... Let me ser dome pics if anyone mans up and tries their own! Lets see some results!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
DPE G

Excuse my spelling haha I suck typing on my phone.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverd88
Y
Sorry to burst bubbles but Raul thought about doing this months ago before ever seeing this thread or seeing 180° tail lights. He just hasn't come across any extra tail lights to try it out on yet.
Pretty sure Alex had it wayyy before Raul even thought of doing it considering he did it to his 1st gen sedan yyyeeeaaarrrsss ago.

I don't think Igor or Alex are "threatened" in anyway by a DIY, however, the OP had some remarks that could be interpreted as snide and smug.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 PM
GraphiteG37S

FYI R34Eclipse... Not down playing your work at all. I congradulate you on getting this done and they probably look sick on your car. Just to clearify, the comment i was making about "bursting peoples bubbles" was not directed toward you, but towards 180° customs. I understand they need to make a living off their business, but don't get mad when a competitor comes along or someone decided to DIY and bypass them. I don't believe in paying top dollar for something simple that you can do yourself. And I read the link to G35NYC, the way they acted on there is totally unprofessional.

Once again, great job OP.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
Pretty sure Alex had it wayyy before Raul even thought of doing it considering he did it to his 1st gen sedan yyyeeeaaarrrsss ago.
I understand that and in no way do I argue that Raul was the first one to come up with this idea. What I said was he thought of, and was planning on doing this way before ever seeing Igors product or this thread. Igor may verywell have been the first to actually do it. I'm not debating that fact. What I am saying is that others have creative ideas too, regarless if they own a business or not.

Quick Reply: Blood Red Taillight Project