Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Cool G37 Lights and a complaint

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Trincap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool G37 Lights and a complaint

So a G37 that was ironman'd or whatever the other guy's name is, drove by me last night. WOW that looks fantastic! If my car wasn't leased I'd totally do that. I suggest it to anyone considering it. It looked like a whole different car.
My complaint is, what in the world is with the build quality on this car??? I mean I'm getting rattles from the little ***** that are on the cord that pull the convertible roof down. How tough would it be for them to put felt on it? And creaks from the roof panels meeting. And the dreaded wallet bubble on the seat. I love the electronics on this car and still feel the Nav is the best I've ever seen but the tranmission is only soso (paddle shifters is pointless for the most part) and the center stack is plain old ugly. Overall, while I love the look and engine of this car, it fails to impress me in so many ways. Now if you've read anything I've written you know that I despise BMW especially after that M6 debacle but I sincerely think the 335 is a better car. Not that I'd ever buy another bmw but still the feel of this car could have been so much more. I loved my old M45s. I just wish this car was up to par with it.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure you'll get much fight that the 335 is a better car. I think the argument is that for the price, it better be.

I personally have had two G's and never a problem. Maybe I'm lucky. I also just can't get into BMWs. I acknowledge their excellence, and overall have no part admitting they do lots better than most car makers....lets face it...everybody is always fighting to compete with the 3 series. But give me an Infiniti all day...
Old 11-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Mazaki

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
You get what you pay for. $40K gets you a G37.

$200,000 gets your a Ferrari. Simple as that. You want that much attention to detail, you have to pay a price.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 AM
smashhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazaki
You get what you pay for. $40K gets you a G37.

$200,000 gets your a Ferrari. Simple as that. You want that much attention to detail, you have to pay a price.
Exactly, It irritates me everytime people compare G37 to 335i.

I mean price point wise, the G37 coupe should be directly comparing to 328i coupe, because they cost the same at $36k.

And we obviously know who in the winner in that category.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
Exactly, It irritates me everytime people compare G37 to 335i.

I mean price point wise, the G37 coupe should be directly comparing to 328i coupe, because they cost the same at $36k.

And we obviously know who in the winner in that category.
BMW is overrated and overpriced. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but when it comes to routine maintenance, I'll stick Japanese. It's just ridiculous how much you're going to pay just to get a baseline 3 series. 328i at 230hp Inline 6, 36k with no premium options, forget it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by Trincap
So a G37 that was ironman'd or whatever the other guy's name is, drove by me last night. WOW that looks fantastic! If my car wasn't leased I'd totally do that. I suggest it to anyone considering it. It looked like a whole different car.
My complaint is, what in the world is with the build quality on this car??? I mean I'm getting rattles from the little ***** that are on the cord that pull the convertible roof down. How tough would it be for them to put felt on it? And creaks from the roof panels meeting. And the dreaded wallet bubble on the seat. I love the electronics on this car and still feel the Nav is the best I've ever seen but the tranmission is only soso (paddle shifters is pointless for the most part) and the center stack is plain old ugly. Overall, while I love the look and engine of this car, it fails to impress me in so many ways. Now if you've read anything I've written you know that I despise BMW especially after that M6 debacle but I sincerely think the 335 is a better car. Not that I'd ever buy another bmw but still the feel of this car could have been so much more. I loved my old M45s. I just wish this car was up to par with it.
I totally agree with you on the "Arc Reactor" lights. I want some because (1) they look sooo good and (2) the fog lamp placement on the G is utterly retarded. They look like high beams when they're on.

Also I agree with you about the build quality. This is my first Infiniti and it will be my last. Nothing major, just the little things.

As for those that say, "It's only a $40,000 car" That's $10,000 above the average cost of an average vehicle. We should expect more at this price point and not compare it with the likes of...Ferraris?? Most supercars don't have superior build quality btw. I've driven cheaper cars with better build quality than my G. That should be our major complaint.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by Staples
BMW is overrated and overpriced. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but when it comes to routine maintenance, I'll stick Japanese. It's just ridiculous how much you're going to pay just to get a baseline 3 series. 328i at 230hp Inline 6, 36k with no premium options, forget it.
Overpriced, yes. Overrated...not so much.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Neiklot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering the 335 just had a recall due to engines overheating because of the twin-turbo and BMW being forcefully having to acknowledge it, I'll stick with my relabile Infiniti. I have a 2010 and can't say anything bad about it. Of course this is me coming from a Honda that was plagued with issues. Maybe my bar wasn't as high as everyone else placed Infiniti.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 AM
TheIvoryG

I think Honda sets the bar quite high actually. Classy and luxurious? No. But quality, dependably, and comfortable builds? Absolutely.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
You've purchased the first convertible Infiniti has ever made. If people are wary about buying first year models, it wouldn't surprise me that the convertibles would have some issues.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
cvroom

Originally Posted by Staples
I'll stick Japanese. It's just ridiculous how much you're going to pay just to get a baseline 3 series. 328i at 230hp Inline 6, 36k with no premium options, forget it.
a 335 its what... 15k more? i agree, for the level of quality i have with my G i dont think the benefits of the 335 is worth that amount more, even if there are any.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Trincap

This is NOT the first convertible they've ever made. It is the first hard top but I don't see that as an excuse. Mine is the second year of the convert and they didn't fix anything. In addition, Lexus's SC was the first hard top and when I had one it was mechanically perfect (a great car by the way). I think Honda is a good comparison. If the build quality was the same, this would be a much better car.
Oh and exotics are built terribly just fyi. When you hand build something it naturally will be not as mechanically sound. A DB9 for example looks great but take it from me, it is incredibly squeeeek squeeek rattle rattle squeeek. I recall driving home from the dealer and hearing the dashboard squeek OVER the stereo. Not a good sign.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, you're right, second convertible. Maybe you're just not lucky with cars.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Coupe Daddy
^ classic
Old 11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
retrospex
Registered Member

I totally agree with you on the "Arc Reactor" lights. I want some because (1) they look sooo good and (2) the fog lamp placement on the G is utterly retarded. They look like high beams when they're on.

Also I agree with you about the build quality. This is my first Infiniti and it will be my last. Nothing major, just the little things.

As for those that say, "It's only a $40,000 car" That's $10,000 above the average cost of an average vehicle. We should expect more at this price point and not compare it with the likes of...Ferraris?? Most supercars don't have superior build quality btw. I've driven cheaper cars with better build quality than my G. That should be our major complaint.
i couldn't have worded it better.