Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting
View Poll Results: What setting do you put your auto headlights sensitivity on?
13.64%
12.12%
15.15%
16.67%
None - I do it manually
42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Auto Headlights Sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:52 AM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't mind having them. I tend to drive in the canyons a lot and it would be nice to have DRL instead of turning on the headlights cuz of the tree cover. Plus the lights don't come on when it rains so it would be nice. Not a must-have for me but it would be nice.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
This has always annoyed me as well. My lights rarely come on when it's just overcast and once it starts raining I have to turn them on manually, dimming my gauges making them too dark for the day time. Then I'm stuck fiddling with the brightness buttons while driving. Not a huge deal but I'd rather not deal with it.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Alcaponed

Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
This has always annoyed me as well. My lights rarely come on when it's just overcast and once it starts raining I have to turn them on manually, dimming my gauges making them too dark for the day time. Then I'm stuck fiddling with the brightness buttons while driving. Not a huge deal but I'd rather not deal with it.
Agreed! I don't know how but the Q50 seems to be much more intelligent at managing instrument panel brightness. When it rains the lights turn on but the panel stays lit correctly.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcaponed
Agreed! I don't know how but the Q50 seems to be much more intelligent at managing instrument panel brightness. When it rains the lights turn on but the panel stays lit correctly.
The controls are just getting smarter. I'm surprised the older models like my 09 don't automatically turn on the headlights when the wipers are run for more than a few seconds. Also the light sensor on the dash should be able to tell when it's raining (wipers on) and still daylight. If they really wanted to get smart they could use the GPS signals to determine the date/time and determine if the lights need to be on, based on location and sunset time.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 08-13-2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Alcaponed

Considering that the G has live weather it should be possible. But it wouldn't be necessary if the damn thing had running lights. It gets cloudy around here sometimes and because I have graphite shadow the car gets a bit hard to see so I end up turning the lights on.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:49 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
^ I know, i wish it had running lights. Fortunately, that's an easy thing to add.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Come buy one of our Canadian cars with the dollar difference, you'll have your lights on all the time, front and rear.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:13 PM
MichaelYYZ
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
In Canada, DLRs have been mandatory since 1990, which is excellent for not having to put up with those ignorants who do not turn on the headlights when the outside conditions warrant.

Unlike most cars, the G37 also keeps the rear red lights on all the time as DLRs. So, setting the headlights to auto does only three things:

1. Dims the dashboard lights at night;
2. Does not allow to turn on the high beams during the day; and
3. Keeps the headlights on for a number of seconds after leaving the vehicle (to the detriment of the battery, I suppose).

The DLRs can be easily disabled by removing a fuse in the engine compartment, but I would strongly advise against doing so.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:52 AM
Alcaponed

This is exactly how I want my car to work!

Originally Posted by MichaelYYZ
In Canada, DLRs have been mandatory since 1990, which is excellent for not having to put up with those ignorants who do not turn on the headlights when the outside conditions warrant.

Unlike most cars, the G37 also keeps the rear red lights on all the time as DLRs. So, setting the headlights to auto does only three things:

1. Dims the dashboard lights at night;
2. Does not allow to turn on the high beams during the day; and
3. Keeps the headlights on for a number of seconds after leaving the vehicle (to the detriment of the battery, I suppose).

The DLRs can be easily disabled by removing a fuse in the engine compartment, but I would strongly advise against doing so.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:36 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I'm looking for a translucent plastic film that I can put over the light sensor on the dash. The idea is to make the sensor think it's darker, increasing the "on" sensitivity. Maybe a cutting from a smoked sheet protector will do it. I tried a clear one and it didn't do anything, I need something with some color on it.
You don't need that.
There is an additional sensitivity setup available on Consult 3. The dealer, or anyone who have the nissan consult 3 interface, can increase the sensitivity for auto headlights.

The settings are as fallow:
Mode 1 - normal
Mode 2 - more sensible than normal
Mode 3 - more sensible than mode 2
Mode 4 - less sensible than normal