Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting
View Poll Results: What setting do you put your auto headlights sensitivity on?
13.64%
12.12%
15.15%
16.67%
None - I do it manually
42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Auto Headlights Sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:26 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I set mine for the max sensitivity. I never have to touch the switch or worry about if I forgot to turn them on or if I forgot to turn them off. Them coming on under a bridge is nothing. You don't even see them. It's not a big deal. Your bulbs are not gonna die prematurely. You have more of a chance killing your bulbs using flash to pass with the lights off, but even that's still nothing to worry about. How many times do people use that? To pass inspection?!

And frankly OEM bulbs are so cheap now it doesn't even matter. You can get OEM authentic philips bulbs on ebay for $25-30 each for 4300K. Even though Nissan uses Kioto brand bulbs in most new vehicles, Philips are OEM in nearly every other manufacturers HID setups.

The thing about these always-on Electroluminescent gauges is that since they are on all the time, people sometimes forget to turn their lights on at night, especially in bright lit cities, like NY. I see people driving around Manhatten all the time at night with no lights. Because the gauges are on, they don't realize their lights aren't even though none of the console lights are lit. I was driving up the NJ turnpike a few weeks ago, and the entire 30 miles I was on there, I was driving near a Honda Odyssey with no lights on. But her gauges were bright as day.

So some people actually need auto lights. So what if they turn on in your garage?! They'll shut off in 30 seconds. Your battery won't die. Your lights will not burn out.

I actually wish there was a setting on the 09's that turns the lights on automatically when the wipers come on so I don't have to touch my switch when it's raining during day hours.

Some of you worry too much about nothing!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
I actually wish there was a setting on the 09's that turns the lights on automatically when the wipers come on so I don't have to touch my switch when it's raining during day hours.
Are you saying that even on max sentitivity, the lights don't come on when it's raining? While I agree with your statement, it does seem like the lights would come on when overcast & raining when set to max sensitivity.

I personally control them manually because of them coming on in the garage when it's daylight outside, but you're convincing me to not worry about that.

I will have to try this. I'll set mine to max sensitivity and leave them on for awhile and see how it goes.

My seat/wheel is set to not retract when I power off... just didn't want to wear out the seat/column motors. Maybe I'm over-worrying this, too.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
1. Are you saying that even on max sentitivity, the lights don't come on when it's raining? While I agree with your statement, it does seem like the lights would come on when overcast & raining when set to max sensitivity.

I personally control them manually because of them coming on in the garage when it's daylight outside, but you're convincing me to not worry about that.

I will have to try this. I'll set mine to max sensitivity and leave them on for awhile and see how it goes.

2. My seat/wheel is set to not retract when I power off... just didn't want to wear out the seat/column motors. Maybe I'm over-worrying this, too.

1. Exactly, which sucks because this is the only time I have to touch the switch. The auto-lights are controlled solely by a light sensor and are in no way connected to the wiper system (at least on 09 and lower). Don't know about 10/11. As for overcast, it really depends on how dark it is. Some overcast days they come on, some they don't. Some they come on in certain areas, like driving under dark clouds or trees and then shut off once you pass the clouds. the 09's only have up to 3 for sensitivity. I'm guessing that since there is a 4 in the poll, the newer models have a 4?

2. This is actually more of a valid worry than the lights burning out. The bulbs are designed to last the life of the car (or 2000 hours). The column and seat motors are not and probably never will. But, still wouldn't worry me much. If you worry about stuff like that, you might as well worry about driving the car in fear of wear out your spark plugs, or tires, or brakes, or O2 sensors. Just enjoy the car and the features you paid for. You're spending more on the car in gas than you will on a column/seat motor or bulbs when they fail 12 years from now!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=DJ Hellfire;2998532]1. Exactly, which sucks because this is the only time I have to touch the switch. The auto-lights are controlled solely by a light sensor and are in no way connected to the wiper system (at least on 09 and lower). [quote]

The 2010 headlights don't come on with the wipers either. I know the 2011 M has this feature though.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:22 AM
knyghtfire
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a quick related question to this. I have a G37 sedan base model. I noticed I have the sun sensor on my dash but I don't have auto headlight switch. I recently bought a auto headlight switch on on ebay for a few bucks, installed it, however it doesn't work in "AUTO" mode. I then noticed I don't have any options for auto headlight in my settings menu. Is there a way to update my settings?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by knyghtfire
I have a quick related question to this. I have a G37 sedan base model. I noticed I have the sun sensor on my dash but I don't have auto headlight switch. I recently bought a auto headlight switch on on ebay for a few bucks, installed it, however it doesn't work in "AUTO" mode. I then noticed I don't have any options for auto headlight in my settings menu. Is there a way to update my settings?
What year and options? CDN or USDM?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Never used it because I didn't know my car had the feature. Now that I know, I still won't use it. Been managing headlights for 42 years just fine, don't need "assistance" from the car.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (11-18-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Because the US cars don't have DRLs, I just leave it at most sensitive. The auto lights don't come on in inclement weather either which I find quite annoying. If I'm on a mountain road or a shady road I might turn the parking lights on but otherwise I just use the auto function. I like when it turns on under bridges or in garages for safety reasons anyway.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Alcaponed
Because the US cars don't have DRLs, I just leave it at most sensitive. The auto lights don't come on in inclement weather either which I find quite annoying. If I'm on a mountain road or a shady road I might turn the parking lights on but otherwise I just use the auto function. I like when it turns on under bridges or in garages for safety reasons anyway.
I'm looking for a translucent plastic film that I can put over the light sensor on the dash. The idea is to make the sensor think it's darker, increasing the "on" sensitivity. Maybe a cutting from a smoked sheet protector will do it. I tried a clear one and it didn't do anything, I need something with some color on it.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
the sensor could be for the temp too idk
Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by saywat?
the sensor could be for the temp too idk
The way I understand it, the sensor on the right is for light, left is for A/C adjustments, on my 2009 anyway. I think my wife's 2016 QX50 has one sensor, though - but it seems to come on when expected.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I'm looking for a translucent plastic film that I can put over the light sensor on the dash. The idea is to make the sensor think it's darker, increasing the "on" sensitivity. Maybe a cutting from a smoked sheet protector will do it. I tried a clear one and it didn't do anything, I need something with some color on it.
Pretty good idea actually! Much cheaper than getting a DRL setup!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:48 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
People actually want drls?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
People actually want drls?
You cannot believe the number of stupid people that refuse to put on headlights in rain, snow, fog, and darkness.

They have to be told to not to drink or use drugs, wear seat-belts, not to text and drive so might as well mandate headlights when operating an automobile, motorcycle or a boat.

Too many have no common sense.

Telcoman
Old 08-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Your rant against stupid people demonstrates a lack of self-awareness which is breathtaking.

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights Sensitivity