Body Interior Exterior Lighting

G37XS Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 PM
dacj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37XS Headlight

Hi all,

I'm new here and new with infiniti products, so please excuse me if I am asking stupid questions.

I just picked up an brand new 2010 G37XS yesterday, Canadian model.
My concerns are now being that it is a canadian model it needs to have DRL. As I am looking I believe that the actual DRL is the same lights that the turn signals use which flashes when you use the turn signals. Am I wrong?

Reason I am asking is because my Xenon HID turns on regardless where my light switch is set at ( off , auto, low, fog). It turns on as soon as I release the parking brake. Then I called the technician in Infiniti today, and gave them my concern...the guys answered "that's actually your DRL, so it will be on no matter what."

In that case if that is true which I tend not to believe, why is there the need of a light switch at all if the light is going to be ON ALL THE TIME anyway? (I'd be gladly to be prooven wrong in this case...because to my opinion if it's on constantly basically just draining the bulb's life away...and the OEM replacement price is like 2k/pair i believe? )

Thanks in advance for all your replies and feedback, cheers.

Gus
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i know for older VWs, their DRLs are their actual headlights. it stays on when you put the parking brake off, but at a lower power (even models equipped with HIDs, such as GTI). when you turn the light switch on, it goes to full power. this is probably the case for the canadian model G's.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
gooddeal

My uncle used to have a '99 Corolla with DRL and it behaved the same way. The headlights turn on as soon as he starts the car. No need to touch the switch. Actually, they can just get rid of the switch.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Saltin
Registered Member

I have a 2010 G37, I'm Canadian, so my model has the DRL.

The main headlights are on all the time, this is correct. When you dis-engage the parking brake they will come on.

Putting the lights on at night is still important to properly light your back/tail lights. You're right it makes no difference in the front.

What you are describing is exactly how DRL work, so there's nothing wrong.

Also, what are you talking about bulbs being 2k per pair to replace? You can get them for like $150 a pair. Maybe you meant $200.

Yeah it uses the bulb life up quickly, but DRL are law in Canada.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 PM
dacj

Originally Posted by Saltin

Also, what are you talking about bulbs being 2k per pair to replace? You can get them for like $150 a pair. Maybe you meant $200.

I was reading somewhere on other forum someone had to replace their hid, and the dealer gave him a quote on replacement (oem parts i suppose) is 180 almost 200 for the bulb and 800+ for the ballast (i am guessing dealer quoted price are always high like usual) and i am not sure it's for 1 or for a set. I do know you can get brand new AM set with higher Ks for like 3~400 but I was thinking if to replace with oem....does it really cost that much?!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
you can definitely get HID bulbs for way less than that. even Philips bulbs can be had for like $150/pair. or you can even go with some aftermarket bulbs for as low as $40 each.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should have got an '09...they don't work that way. The HID's only come on in the dark (if set to auto). They also turn with the direction of the steering wheel to illuminate around curves.

Originally Posted by Saltin
I have a 2010 G37, I'm Canadian, so my model has the DRL.

The main headlights are on all the time, this is correct. When you dis-engage the parking brake they will come on.

Putting the lights on at night is still important to properly light your back/tail lights. You're right it makes no difference in the front.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah the facelifted sedans always have their HIDs on. A courtesy 2010 G37x sedan I had did the same thing. When you turn the lights ON or to AUTO (when it's dark out) the rear tail lights come on as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 PM
dacj

not intentionally to bump the threats or anyhting

I was on my way home from work today, say about 6ish, still a little light out side, not too dark that you HAVE to turn on the lights, and I saw a G37 sedan without the hid on? what's up with that ?! Maybe like Marc said, it was an 09 model? or maybe they did something else to it?!

As for the auto-leveling and adaptive lightning, I think it only comes with the X model, I think in canada it is an package that you choose, but with the car, XS I have only has the navi package which doesn't have anything to do with the lights, therefore my Bi-xenon is only hi-low beam hid, has no moving lights at all....not even auto-leveing....SUX! ( I am a big fan of lights in general )
Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dacj
not intentionally to bump the threats or anyhting

I was on my way home from work today, say about 6ish, still a little light out side, not too dark that you HAVE to turn on the lights, and I saw a G37 sedan without the hid on? what's up with that ?! Maybe like Marc said, it was an 09 model? or maybe they did something else to it?!

As for the auto-leveling and adaptive lightning, I think it only comes with the X model, I think in canada it is an package that you choose, but with the car, XS I have only has the navi package which doesn't have anything to do with the lights, therefore my Bi-xenon is only hi-low beam hid, has no moving lights at all....not even auto-leveing....SUX! ( I am a big fan of lights in general )
I thought my 2010 G37x had adaptive lighting but I guess I got confused with the Taiwanese G37 they sell overseas. It's okay though, the more advanced it is the more it cost to have it replaced / repaired when needed.