Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Water leak left rear footwell SOAKED

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water leak left rear footwell SOAKED

With this monsoon rain that the NJ has had over the last couple of days...I came out to my car this morning to find that my rear driver's side footwell was SOAKED with 1/2 inch of water! $hit! I grabbed the wet vac and went at it, but it's still rainin. I checked all the seals on window and door. I checked all around the moonroof. I hopped online and ravaged this forum's SEARCH results and my conclusion... my freakin AMP wire?

Can a slit in the big rubber gasket going through the firewall under the drivers dash above the dead pedal have caused this? I never thought that it would need to be completely sealed cause it's covered by the steering plastic lid and tucked. Seriously leak enough to gather up at least a gallon of water that I wet vac'd up this mornging and will still have more to do once I get home. Really? The car is only a 6 mos old so I'm ruling out seals and sunroof drains - never had those issues with rain or car wash before.

Any experiences out there - would be much appreciated? What a dumb move and I hope to get this dried up so no mold issues occur...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by use2vw
With this monsoon rain that the NJ has had over the last couple of days...I came out to my car this morning to find that my rear driver's side footwell was SOAKED with 1/2 inch of water! $hit! I grabbed the wet vac and went at it, but it's still rainin. I checked all the seals on window and door. I checked all around the moonroof. I hopped online and ravaged this forum's SEARCH results and my conclusion... my freakin AMP wire?

Can a slit in the big rubber gasket going through the firewall under the drivers dash above the dead pedal have caused this? I never thought that it would need to be completely sealed cause it's covered by the steering plastic lid and tucked. Seriously leak enough to gather up at least a gallon of water that I wet vac'd up this mornging and will still have more to do once I get home. Really? The car is only a 6 mos old so I'm ruling out seals and sunroof drains - never had those issues with rain or car wash before.

Any experiences out there - would be much appreciated? What a dumb move and I hope to get this dried up so no mold issues occur...
I am no expert, but I would purchase some RTV and slather the sealant on that firewall seal. I had this problem on the BMW I owned prior to acquiring the G...turned out to be a failed seal in the rear passenger door. The way the G is designed, I doubt its the door seal unless the door drains are clogged and water is coming threw the speaker. Easy enough to check with a hose. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
SCBLKG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same thing happen to me as I was driving back from NJ to Sc last week in that same rain... I have taken it to get serviced and the shop is telling mr that its condensation from AC....BS lets see what happen next time it rains, they said they checked all drainage lines and left the car on running water for 2hrs and were unable to duplicate the problem....let me know what your resolution is.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard similar problems on other cars resulting from clogged sunroof drains. I'd start there with the dealer.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well... after a quick rip out of the panels...diagnosis IS that water came in from the firewall. Freakin unbelievable! There was prolly another gallon of water that seeped into all the wells and dips throughout the interior. I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. I'm gonna have to rip the entire interior out- seat and all to get at every crack and corner. Cause while it's still fresh I need to dry the sucker up or else I'll be dealing with meldew-mold. It must have been a wierd angle that I parked the car where the heavy rain was able to get past the brakefluid hatch and run wild into the cabin through that big rubber grommet that surrounds the main electrical wires. I just hope that this deusching of water does lead to a future of electrical nightmares.. I don't think the fuse box got wet, but the wire that runs under the seat to power the heat and adjust motors def took a bath..$hit - so stupid.

ANY suggestions on drying out an interior??
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
nrp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked in my back seat once to find a nice big pool of water. In my case it came from a leaf being stuck in my rear door weather stripping....it allowed tons of water to seep through.

Sun light is a good way to prevent mold, so is any sort of mild cleaner or a tad bit of white vinegar. But just getting it dry right away is probably good enough.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No, it is your amp wire. I bet you found my thread??? If you slice that freaking grommet, and then DON"T seal it like a ****, it will cause inches of water from rains and car washes. Your carpet will need to be replaced, and you will get mold on your styroform parts under the carpet.

Cover that freaking grommet with any sort of waterproof expanding sealant.

Then, you will need to take the entire carpet out of the car and dry it in the sun, or just go to your insurance company and file a claim to get a new carpet. Either way, you have got to take out that carpet, because your car has these crazy 2-inch wells in the back and front foot rest position that are now filled with inches of water and stryrofoam.

I have pics and can show exactly what happens with the non-sealed main bus grommet.

here is the culprit grommet.

And here is what happens:

See how deep those wells are?

Many towels later

Mold on styrofoam inserts....

Had the carpet and the inserts replaced, and the whole dang thing cleaned with bleach. Had to take out entire interior, then carpet. Then deal with the insurance company, the nody shop that kept effing up parts, etc. Was a g0d@mned nightmare.

STILL haven't gotten my freaking deductible back from the installation shop's insurance. This thread has now remined me to call my insurance and bitch at them about my $$$$$. Still get mad when I think about all of the damage and issues caused by a lazy installer. At least he got fired.

The PROPER way to install an amp is to NOT TOUCH that grommet, and instead, drill a hole through the firewall just the right size for your ampwire, adn then seal the f&ck out of that hole.

lessons from hard experience.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (10-20-2020)