Body Interior Exterior Lighting

headlights.. one off one on?! 0.o

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlights.. one off one on?! 0.o

got my headlights done from 180 custom yesterday including iron man mod. loved the work, came out flawless. leds look great and the paint job is spot on. anyways, to my issue.
turned on the headlights at night to show my friends when i got home and uh oh! the left headlight came on and the right one didnt! (from the view inside the car) the iron man leds worked for both headlights and the hid headlight came on on the left headlight.
turn the lights off and on and both came on. switched them on and off again and they worked a second time. both headlights and leds came on like they should.
parked car and came back later to go home. turned on headlights since it was dark and once again only the left one came on! i switched them on and off and still only the left one. did it again a third time and both came on.
today when i needed my headlights on i just turned them on and off like five times and went on my way. passed a cop so i guess they were both on
any idea whats the issue? why is it doing this? i have no idea what the issue could be
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it may be a sign that your bulb is going out
Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Very strange, my friend had a similar problem due to wiring drawing too much power for the fuse to handle it. The lights had side LED strip and IronMan like mod. One came on and one was off. We checked the fuse box and one of the fuses was blown. Whatever you do, DO NOT change the fuse to a higher amp. We went from the stock 10 amp fuse to a 20 amp fuse and it lit both lights, but because of the increase in amps it did not blow the fuse and began to burn the wiring harness..

We were able to catch it in time to save the harness.. Turned out to be an issue with the wiring so we went and had it rewired and went back to stock amp fuse and now it works perfectly. My advice would be to take it back to 180 customs (since you may be local being that youre in Jersey) and inform them what happened and have them inspect the lights for quality control.. Electrical fires are no joke, and it is definately a possibility so get it checked ASAP, and DO NOT change the fuse to a higher amp.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be this^^. Could be a bulb going out. Could be just a loose connection on the ignightor. Could be bad wiring. GL
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Kverd88
Very strange, my friend had a similar problem due to wiring drawing too much power for the fuse to handle it. The lights had side LED strip and IronMan like mod. One came on and one was off. We checked the fuse box and one of the fuses was blown. Whatever you do, DO NOT change the fuse to a higher amp. We went from the stock 10 amp fuse to a 20 amp fuse and it lit both lights, but because of the increase in amps it did not blow the fuse and began to burn the wiring harness..

We were able to catch it in time to save the harness.. Turned out to be an issue with the wiring so we went and had it rewired and went back to stock amp fuse and now it works perfectly. My advice would be to take it back to 180 customs (since you may be local being that youre in Jersey) and inform them what happened and have them inspect the lights for quality control.. Electrical fires are no joke, and it is definately a possibility so get it checked ASAP, and DO NOT change the fuse to a higher amp.
That may be true, but it's his headlights that's having problems and headlights, parking lights is ran by a different fuse. That can't be his issues. I would recommend him try installing a different bulb and see how that goes.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
That may be true, but it's his headlights that's having problems and headlights, parking lights is ran by a different fuse. That can't be his issues. I would recommend him try installing a different bulb and see how that goes.
Thanks Eric I must have missed the part where he talked about the headlight. If it's not coming from the LEDs than it may be the headlight bulb like Weiboy said. Try switching out the bulb first.

Btw Eric, I expect to see a new review of your car after you picked it up from stillen Saturday.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Could be this^^. Could be a bulb going out. Could be just a loose connection on the ignightor. Could be bad wiring. GL
That's just one of the downsides that has me on the fence about modding my headlights
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you using the OEM bulbs in your headlights? I had bought some cheap *** HID bulbs and they did that. As soon as I upgraded to better bulbs, I didn't have the problem.

But the first thing I'd check would be connection with the ignitor.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Kverd88
Thanks Eric I must have missed the part where he talked about the headlight. If it's not coming from the LEDs than it may be the headlight bulb like Weiboy said. Try switching out the bulb first.

Btw Eric, I expect to see a new review of your car after you picked it up from stillen Saturday.
check out my new mod over on The brake section
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Are you using the OEM bulbs in your headlights? I had bought some cheap *** HID bulbs and they did that. As soon as I upgraded to better bulbs, I didn't have the problem.

But the first thing I'd check would be connection with the ignitor.
+1... blackjack has a good point too.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
check out my new mod over on The brake section
Gonna check it out now! I'm guessing BBK like AP or something!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

talked to 180 customs and they said they would replace the bulb. was playing with the headlight controls and realized they turn on when i go to the "headlight on" position, but in the "auto headlight" position only the left one works while the right one doesnt turn on. this is regarding ONLY the headlights. Iron man mod works fine for both headlights in both positions.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Weiboy718

Wink

Originally Posted by mystakin
talked to 180 customs and they said they would replace the bulb. was playing with the headlight controls and realized they turn on when i go to the "headlight on" position, but in the "auto headlight" position only the left one works while the right one doesnt turn on. this is regarding ONLY the headlights. Iron man mod works fine for both headlights in both positions.
you should add a on off switch
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

weiboy718, on off switch for what?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by mystakin
weiboy718, on off switch for what?
to control your ironmans. when your headlights are on you turn the IM off with the switch that way the leds will last longer.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

sounds like a good idea. if only i could do electrical work..

Quick Reply: headlights.. one off one on?! 0.o