Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

headlights.. one off one on?! 0.o

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 PM
xberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm out of town now and not using my car but before I left it seemed that the headlight problem was happening less often. If it continued I was thinking of putting back the OEM headlight bulbs and leaving the LEDs in and see if the problem continues. I have a feeling it has something to do with cars computer and the change in resistance or something like that. We can also try putting back the OEM city lights first.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
xberry

I haven't made any changes and the headlight out problem is now hardly ever occurring. I really can't understand it but am still monitoring it.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres my update thus far:

Alright, well, it happens whether in on/off or Auto. I switched the bulbs on each side and it still did it on the same side (driver); therefore, ruling out the bulbs as the culprit for the most part. The only thing is I usually have to let it sit for like 30 minutes before it'll do it again so I wasn't able to swap in the stock bulbs.

That in itself is pretty strange, it's almost like it gets warmed up and can keep them lit after frequent sequential starts but then an hour later it won't turn on.

Another odd thing is that it ALWAYS stays on after the 3rd flip from off to on. It's almost like it's programmed to take 3 switches. That makes it hard for me to believe that it's a simple short somewhere. I'm almost positive that the problem is in my ballast but it still doesn't explain the consistently continual 3 time on/off.

I put my bulbs in with the ceramic filament facing down and the glass bulb on the top just to get as detailed as possible. I tried tucking the ballast in a different way this time so we'll see if the problem persists.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

CDONNS, im in the exact same situation. three flips is the charm for me. swapped bulbs to same brand aftermarket ones and it still doesnt help. seems like it holds a charge like you said.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still a little skeptical about the LED parking lights. I know it was said that they aren't even wired remotely together but I still feel they may be causing the issue. I'm going to switch those out and put the stock ones back in and see what happens. I'll report back hopefully by the end of the week.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
xberry

I also have the problem only with the driver side head lamp. I have also replaced my city lights with LEDs. Here in Canada my HID fogs are my DRLs and I have no problems other than the driver side head light. Its too much of a coincident for all three of us to have the same problem. I think it has something to do with the car's computer system. I hope it is just the city light LEDs but lots of people have done that change. It could be particular to the 2010s. I know that Infiniti still hasn't found a solution to have call waiting work on bluetooth in the 2010s.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

i feel like since its a different bulb, the ballast might be the issue. it seems like it 'works' but after a few tries of getting it to hold the charge. thanks CDONNS, let us know what happens when you retry those other lights!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Im having a similar problem. I painted me lights and ended up getting some water in the driverside housing. The headlight stopped working. Ive taken them apart and dried them out and cleaned them. The light wont come on now that its dry. Ive checked the fuses and also swapped the bulbs and still nothing. Any ideas on what I can do to check things out?

Thanks
Ben
Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

maybe something is wrong with your ballasts? idk just taking a guess. if youve checked everything else, the only thing left i think is the ballasts
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mystakin
maybe something is wrong with your ballasts? idk just taking a guess. if youve checked everything else, the only thing left i think is the ballasts
Resurrecting an old thread to give a correct answer....

I had the exact same problem when I tried to put 6000K bulbs in, and the same fix as well (flicking the headlight switch on and off). I posted on this forum in an attempt to get an answer, but no one even tried to help (thanks a lot, guys).

I found out that the problem is specific to 2010+ model year G37 cars (and possibly other models that are 2010+, assuming they use the same ballast). The ballast is not the problem, so do not bother with it. The change from, I believe, 2009 to 2010, is that Nissan began to use Matsu****a generation V ballasts. Apparently, these ballasts do not like cheap aftermarket bulbs, and oftentimes do not light them reliably. OEM bulbs, like the Philips bulbs (and apparently Osram bulbs, I will find out for sure when my Osram CBIs come in) always ignite properly when used with the generation V ballasts.

This is why, as far as I know, you do not hear of earlier model Infiniti owners complaining about their new HID bulbs not igniting properly, and why when you put your Philips bulbs back in, they turn on properly.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Superteeth
Resurrecting an old thread to give a correct answer....

I had the exact same problem when I tried to put 6000K bulbs in, and the same fix as well (flicking the headlight switch on and off). I posted on this forum in an attempt to get an answer, but no one even tried to help (thanks a lot, guys).

I found out that the problem is specific to 2010+ model year G37 cars (and possibly other models that are 2010+, assuming they use the same ballast). The ballast is not the problem, so do not bother with it. The change from, I believe, 2009 to 2010, is that Nissan began to use Matsu****a generation V ballasts. Apparently, these ballasts do not like cheap aftermarket bulbs, and oftentimes do not light them reliably. OEM bulbs, like the Philips bulbs (and apparently Osram bulbs, I will find out for sure when my Osram CBIs come in) always ignite properly when used with the generation V ballasts.

This is why, as far as I know, you do not hear of earlier model Infiniti owners complaining about their new HID bulbs not igniting properly, and why when you put your Philips bulbs back in, they turn on properly.
What the hell? I cannot say Matsu****a, because it has "****" in the middle?