Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

My Gs' crappy paint has me considering a new Mustang GT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
iwasgointo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I live Stang's are all over the place and Infiniti sedans are pretty damn common too.

I get some satisfaction that when driving my 09' G37S Coupe I see very few in my travels.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Dynamic quality? LOL, you're kidding, right? I'm sure an M3 driver doesn't give a crap about his car's perceived "dynamic quality" when he can't shake a Mustang off his tail around a track.

BTW, the "bigger" engine in the Mustang is a liability when it comes to handling. It's heavier and it upsets the balance of the car. And you mention torque, yet you fail to mention that the M3 actually has a bit higher rated HP with it's smaller V8. And from Motor Trend's test, these two cars are virtually equals on a road course or a drag strip.

What's really surprising to me is that the Mustang has the ride height of a 4x4 (look at that crazy wheel gap!) and the M3 appears to have a much lower ride height, yet the Mustang handles just as well or even a bit better.
Listen, dynamic quality of the M3 give you better handling at higher speed, give better steering feel, does not beat you up over every bump on the road. You should know that on a race track, it all come down to driver skill first. Are you a fortune teller wanabe or something? How do you know what the M3 driver think? Based on your insecure personality? People bought their car for different purpose; only dedicate track car with good driver is fastest at the track.

Remember this, the M3 is tuned more for street comfort and under-steer for street safety, yet still capable at the track. Some thing the GT can not do because of the solid axle.

Bigger motor liability for the GT? Check out last year number of the GT, it is the new engine that make a difference.

Yes, I did not mentioned that the M3 slightly higher horsepower rating and the SUV like stance of the GT, but that is because in a top speed run, the GT bumper will have a bunch of paint chips from the derbies kicked up by the M3.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It use to be the reasoning for buying an M3 was it was so much faster and handled so much better then something as lowly as a Mustang.
After the comparison test the BMW fanboys will have to come up with some other reason they spent so much for a car that can't out run or out handle a Mustang.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CodeG
Listen, dynamic quality of the M3 give you better handling at higher speed, give better steering feel, does not beat you up over every bump on the road. You should know that on a race track, it all come down to driver skill first. Are you a fortune teller wanabe or something? How do you know what the M3 driver think? Based on your insecure personality? People bought their car for different purpose; only dedicate track car with good driver is fastest at the track.
I think you are the fortune teller. Have you driven both a new M3 and a new Mustang back-to-back around a road course? I didn't think so... Your opinion is nothing but that--an opinion. So stop trying to convince us that you have some kind of inside knowledge because you don't.

Remember this, the M3 is tuned more for street comfort and under-steer for street safety, yet still capable at the track. Some thing the GT can not do because of the solid axle.
Another silly statement. If anything, it's the M3 that is tuned more for the track. Both are street cars, but if Ford really wanted to make a road course track car out of the Mustang, they wouldn't have kept the live axle rear. You should know that in all of your supposed knowledge.

Bigger motor liability for the GT? Check out last year number of the GT, it is the new engine that make a difference.
Yes, a bigger liability in that it weighs more. And more weight up front means a less than perfect weight distribution. How hard is that for you to understand? The M3 had a lighter weight V8 that makes virtually the same HP

Yes, I did not mentioned that the M3 slightly higher horsepower rating and the SUV like stance of the GT, but that is because in a top speed run, the GT bumper will have a bunch of paint chips from the derbies kicked up by the M3.
Okay, that tops your stupid comments. You fail.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ My bad, obviously I am trying to explain my reasoning with a very immature person who has nothing better to say but barking violently like my neighbor's dog. Peace out..
Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by CodeG
^ My bad, obviously I am trying to explain my reasoning with a very immature person who has nothing better to say but barking violently like my neighbor's dog. Peace out..
^^^ Says the guy who called me a "fortune teller", "wanabe", and "insecure".

You fail again.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA

BTW, does anyone else find it strange that someone would think a 2-door pony car would be a good substitute for a 4-door sport/luxury car?
+1 the stang doesnt fit the bill as a family car like the g sedan does. mustang is more like mid life crisis material at my age.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 AM
netmag

Is there any group of car owners that thinks as a whole that their paint stands out as being really good? If so I'd like to know the make and model of the vehicles they own.

Also, I agree with others that say that the Mustang and the G are probably not really comparable. That doesn't mean that you don't have the right to like them both. Just that the vast majority of G sedan buyers probably wouldn't be cross shopping to a coupe such as the Mustang. While the G isn't neck deep in luxury refinements, it's not just a big engine on 4 wheels either. Some people with different perspectives and different life phases might even question whether the mustang is worth the money it costs. It really just depends on the buyer's perspective and what they consider to be most important in terms of value (power, refinement & some lux, a good mix of both, etc).
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
^ 2010 Aston Martin DB9S Volante, paint is PERFECT, and YES Ford makes it, lol I know this is useless here.. but most higher end cars use a better quality paint and more coats of that better quality paint vs. Nissan. But then again Nissan isn't selling too many 100k+ cars so they probably don't even care to change the paint, we get what we pay for.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 AM
LC_G37

the paint quality is fine to me. i have chips from rock trucks that love to be on the highway on my way to work and cringe every time i hear a rock hit the car. but if you live in a coastal region then i understand but i mean if thats something that is an issue then hey go for it. stang is a beast and interior looks great when loaded up. other than that big hood id "drive one"(wakka wakka)<---not a good comedian huh?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by netmag
Is there any group of car owners that thinks as a whole that their paint stands out as being really good? If so I'd like to know the make and model of the vehicles they own.
The factory paint on my 4Runner is excellent. By far the toughest and most durable paint on any vehicle I've ever owned. I bought my 4Runner new in 2004 and even today I have maybe 2 tiny chips on the front end. My 4Runner is my daily driver and sees plenty of bad weather and conditions. I don't know how the paint survives all of that rock salt every winter and all the crap that I put it through, but when I wash my 4Runner it still looks as good as it did the day I bought it home.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that 4Runners are built in Japan....I've heard they don't have the same environmental regulations as we do here in the U.S., so they can still paint new cars the "old" way instead of the newer more fragile paint jobs of today.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 AM
KLB

I'd say that price has little to do with the paint quality. I had a cheapo Dodge Caliber driving the same route I do now with my G. After 2 years the Caliber had no nics or real scratches. Actually my step-daughter drives it now and I looked at it this weekend and it still had none after almost four years. My G had a number of nics in its' paint within a couple of months.

I still say it looks awesome, but it holds up terribly.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by netmag

Also, I agree with others that say that the Mustang and the G are probably not really comparable. That doesn't mean that you don't have the right to like them both. Just that the vast majority of G sedan buyers probably wouldn't be cross shopping to a coupe such as the Mustang.
I probably should have been clearer in my OP, we won't really be needing 4 doors on our next vehicle so it would have been a G coupe that I'd be considering.

As far as paint goes, I've mentioned it in various threads, Hyundai has quickly risen to the upper levels of paint quality in the last 4 years. Look at any 2 or 3 year old Hyundai Sonata, Genesis, Azera or Veracruz and compare the paint to your Infiniti, they're in totally different leagues.

Originally Posted by cvroom
+1 the stang doesnt fit the bill as a family car like the g sedan does. mustang is more like mid life crisis material at my age.
Just can't understand why so many are concerned about how people may percieve you based on your vehicle. If I like it and I can afford it that's all that matters to me. If they think I'm having a mid-life crisis that's their f'n problem.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by blnewt

Just can't understand why so many are concerned about how people may percieve you based on your vehicle. If I like it and I can afford it that's all that matters to me. If they think I'm having a mid-life crisis that's their f'n problem.
It's good that you feel that way, but I think a lot of people choose cars that fit in with the image that they want to project. Maybe that seems silly, but I think it's true for most people. It's almost as personal as the clothes you choose to wear, as many people feel they are "wearing" their cars.

Certain cars carry a specific stigma....there are "chick" cars, "mid-life crisis" cars, "gay and/or lesbian" cars, etc... Sounds silly, but that's perception for ya...

Small VW convertible? Chick car
Mazda Miata? Gay guy's car
Corvette? Mid-life crisis car
Subaru Forester? Lezbo car

Silly? Sure...but I can absolutely guarantee you that there are people who will not buy one of the cars above because of the stigma associated with them.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by 15951
I hardly think driving a rental Mustang gives you a good measure of true fuel economy for the brand. If it's a rental, it's been beaten on, the air in the tires was probably not even close to correct, the air filter was likely filthy, and it probably had the wrong grade of gas in it.

That, and I'm sure your friend feathered the throttle all weekend, right?
Ordinarily you would be right about the rentals. Except in this case the car only had 800 miles on it. It was mint, drove and looked brand new. Not sure about the grade of gas, but whatever grade it had inside, it drank plenty of it. I think the minimum for that car is 87 octaine anyway.

Quick Reply: My Gs' crappy paint has me considering a new Mustang GT.