Body Interior Exterior Lighting

what's with infiniti paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
newg37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's with infiniti paint?

i have a moonlight white coupe and noticed that there are some bubbles here and there in corners and generally places you have to look hard to see.

also the paint looks a little runny and the top coat looks rough in places and generally doesn't glisten. even on my 2006 jetta the paint is glossy and has a mirror quality reflection after a detail.

since it's white it's not that big of a deal because white doesn't have the same contrast as other colors but the paint just looks hazy. Since it's new i don't think there is any reason to claybar it or do an orbital buffer because i'm afraid i'll remove the paint.

Do you guys have similar paint issues?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My MW is perfect. I'm not having these issues.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
newg37
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackjack
My MW is perfect. I'm not having these issues.
ok i doubt it's perfect you're just not paying attention to it. Just look at your back bumper it's DULL run your hand near it during the night time and you should see your hands reflection but all you'll see is a hazy image from 2" away.

compare that to say the back bumper of a lexus IS or even a golf and it's a huge difference.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
BlackG37Coupe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our paint is garbage, soft and thin, this issue has been beat to death man. I have OB and the clear coat sucks. My 07 subaru impreza that I wash once every month and is not garage kept looks better than my garage kept weekly washed G.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
newg37
Banned

is paint covered under warranty?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
BlackG37Coupe

Originally Posted by newg37
is paint covered under warranty?
Im not sure, but if your is peeling, or feels rough/dull like it has overspray on it I would def go complain to the dealer and make light of it. What year is it, how many miles?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by newg37
ok i doubt it's perfect you're just not paying attention to it. Just look at your back bumper it's DULL run your hand near it during the night time and you should see your hands reflection but all you'll see is a hazy image from 2" away.

compare that to say the back bumper of a lexus IS or even a golf and it's a huge difference.
Was your car repainted? You shouldn't have those issues on a new car. I don't have any of the issues you describe.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im pretty meticulous when it comes to the exterior of my MW sedan and i notice none of this. whenever its in the garage parked under the large florescent light im always looking for swirl marks. i am going to hit them with a light finishing polish before winter and put a sealant on it.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
newg37
Banned

lol 2010

5 mi on the engine when i bought it.

purchased jul 22nd

now has 500mi on it.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM
newg37
Banned

Originally Posted by cvroom
Im pretty meticulous when it comes to the exterior of my MW sedan and i notice none of this. whenever its in the garage parked under the large florescent light im always looking for swirl marks. i am going to hit them with a light finishing polish before winter and put a sealant on it.
when you look at the reflection of the large florescent light bulb on the car, and move your body around the light on the paint as a pivot, does the light look like a mirror reflection or kind of hazy, try looking at it from a wide angle and move around and see if the light becomes warped or kind of foggy. not tremendously foggy but noticeably rougher than you would expect a new car that was wiped down with meg's quick detailer and microfiber.

my neighbor has a CL550 in white and while it's 4x more expensive his finish is mirror like.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 AM
retrospex
Registered Member

I have a black coupe, and I must say I'm very disappointed in the quality of infiniti's paint and/or clearcoat. at least compared to the paint lexus and benz offers. any little thing seems to leave swirls and spots, i had no such issue with the lexus -and both cars were black and brand new.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Jamler

Originally Posted by BlackG37Coupe
Our paint is garbage, soft and thin, this issue has been beat to death man. I have OB and the clear coat sucks. My 07 subaru impreza that I wash once every month and is not garage kept looks better than my garage kept weekly washed G.

Such a shame... I got the OB too... Got caught in the rain, then had a Bus
trip... Got home and washed it, but still had so many water spots on the paint
Had to do a full gloss wax job just to make it respectable. I'm seriously thinkin
bout paying this really great body shop by my place to re-paint the entire car

They have this amazing clear coat that finishes and wears so well...
Will certainly make my life easier... But Freakin Infiniti should pay for half of it!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd love to repaint my black obsidian at some point in a black metallic to just help hide some blemishes better.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM
ThatsGman

Originally Posted by Jamler
Such a shame... I got the OB too... Got caught in the rain, then had a Bus
trip... Got home and washed it, but still had so many water spots on the paint
Had to do a full gloss wax job just to make it respectable. I'm seriously thinkin
bout paying this really great body shop by my place to re-paint the entire car

They have this amazing clear coat that finishes and wears so well...
Will certainly make my life easier... But Freakin Infiniti should pay for half of it!

I have had the exact same problem with mine and it is soo frustrating! ..... I don't mind putting in the work to make sure the car is in top shape but sometimes it just feels impossible.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Nycteris

I have Obsidian Black too and the paint+clearcoat is terrible; like I live in Chicago so after it rains, the car is basically a dust magnet for everything that's left after the water evaporates and honestly, since when does a car look worse after it's been raining? Basically starting a year ago I gave up on trying to keep up on detailing and settled for regular touch-free carwashes.

Quick Reply: what's with infiniti paint?