Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

another paint durability thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another paint durability thread

ive had my car for almost 6 months now and it has 5800 miles. im very lucky to say that i dont have any paint chips or scratches yet. i do have minor clear coat scrapes/swirls. a few are streight acroos the front of the hood like a purse/bag was dragged across it hmmm. these can only be seen under direct light from certain angles so thats why i have a light finish polish and a sealant coming in the mail from DI.

I'm starting to think/hope that the poor paint durability talked about so often might be unique to certain colors. Has anyone kept track of any certain color that keeps getting jacked with chips and scratches? are there any moonlight white G owners unsatisfied with the durability? I thought i would have gotten some sooner given there has been so many poor reports on the durablity. Now that i typed a thread about this i will most likely get a nice big chip right in the center of the hood tomorrow. thats the way this world works right but i know its coming eventually anyway so i wont let it ruin my day.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM
g gal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 09 in Moonlight White. I've had it for a year and only have one minor chip on the front bumper. It' so small my husband says he can't even see it. I have been very satisfied with the paint durability. Knock on wood.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I've had a 07 Blue Slate and now a Black 09 and both were horrific regarding chipping. I've got about 60 chips in my 09 now and it's only a year old w/ 16.5k miles. I won't buy another Infiniti if this paint issue isn't handled by 2013. I prefer dark colors so I'll shop another brand if white or light colors are the only paint colors that won't look like chit a year later.
Nice to hear that all colors aren't affected though.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 AM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could always get a clear bra if you are concerned with the front of your. Which this is something most people install when they first purchase their car. I am going to install mine after I install my intake as I don't want to mess up the clear bra myself.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
D_Nyholm

When i had my first G in 2003, it seemed Laser Red, Black, and dark gray were the main chippers. The other colors either didn't chip as much or didn't show the primer as easily since they were closer to that color. I had a clear bra on my Laser Red G35 coupe and when I sold it, I pulled off the clear bra beforehand since it was getting cloudy. There were so many chips on the hood (I had the full hood done) after the bra was removed it was rediculous. The bra was actually holding the chips in place while it was on the car, but the paint was STILL chipping.

I'm kind of sad to see that the blueslate owner above said they are getting chips now too I guess i'll be getting more chips as time goes on. My car has only 700 miles on it now, so there are no chips. I hope I can try to keep it that way.

On a side note, my wife's Mini Cooper S had ZERO chips on it for the first 3 years of its life. My wife worked from home and only traveled on side streets and back roads. Once she changed her job and started travelling on the main expressways, he car is now riddled with chips. So, if you don't want chips, don't drive on the highways!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
cvroom

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
The bra was actually holding the chips in place while it was on the car, but the paint was STILL chipping.
wow even with the bra it didnt help!? yea maybe the highway driving is the main cause of the chips. im not on it too often but i was a couple days ago and heard a loud DOINK on the top of the windshield. gotta keep away from trucks.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 09 platinum graphite and have about 15 chips on my bumper and another 3 on the hood. I can't entirely blame the paint because of the amount of construction going on (loose gravel from construction and highways don't mix).

My white 2000 lincoln I had before this only had about 10 chips in the 9 years I owned it.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
cvroom

it seems like my 2000 accord which is emerald green didnt have the best paint either. i started noticing chips early on when i bought it new now that i remember. the nose and front of the hood has a rediculous amount of chips on it now after 10 years. some are really deep past the primer. one good thing is that some of these are really old and the rust has not spread. the rust has been contained in the hole the debree made even after all these years. the accord got egged from a moving car a long time back and the egg shell splinters actually cut into my paint to the primer. i have a ring of a hundred tiny micro splinters down to the primer on the rear fender of the car. that must be some crappy paint
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
PascalT

I have a black 2010 and the paint is made of play-doh. 5 months in and i have at least 6-7 scratches, a bunch of chips under the front doors and a pretty big chip on one of the doors. Also I need to clean the car every week.

I wouldn't get black again that's for sure :/
Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
be glad you have white.

another black owner here. I can just look at the car and it'll scratch. I feel like I should just stop caring, but I love the car and how it looks.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
be glad you have white.

another black owner here. I can just look at the car and it'll scratch. I feel like I should just stop caring, but I love the car and how it looks.
Same here. Mine at least are not visible from a few feet away. The paint looks so good, but holds up so poorly.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
PedroP
Registered Member

I also have an 09 platinum graphite that is a little over a year old now. Luckily, I only have a few minor paint chips. On the other hand, my windshield looks like it went through a tour of duty in Iraq. Living near Boston where the roads are on par with those of a third world country, it is inevitable that your windshield is going to take a beating especially in the winter months. Even with that said, I have never owned a car that had the windshield look so bad in such a short period of time. When the sun hits the windshield at the right angle it looks like it was run through a sand blaster. Sorry to get off topic here but I seriously believe that the paint on our cars is not the only thing that Infiniti could do a better job on.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
PascalT

They had to cut corners to undercut BMW and Audi, IMO.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
HappyG

Paint quality on 2010 graphite shadow is definitely poor. But I have to give Infiniti credit for the windshield. I live in NY area and the windshield took a lot of beating, but it is still in perfect condition.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Moonlight White 09 G37xS sedan and am familier with the horror stories about Infiniti paint (had the pearl white paint on 05 G35 cpe that I traded in) so I had a custom wrap job done right after I bought this car. I had waited about 6 months on the 05 cpe. before I had a precut clear bra put on it and I had to repair several small chips before getting the bra installed. It will be a must have on any new car I but in the future.

Quick Reply: another paint durability thread