Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

another paint durability thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
imageplayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
They had to cut corners to undercut BMW and Audi, IMO.
I recently turned in my 335i and believe me, the paint quality wasn't that good as it should have been.. Just after few months, swirls line covered the entire body from hand-wash. One way to avoid accumulating hairline scratches was to rinse off dust particles thoroughly before actually washing the car. Next time, look close at their paint and you'll see swirl lines all over the paint.. And there were paint bubbling issue on my 335i front bumper...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to add that I have about 4 small places (1/4 inch) on the vertical surface of the trunk hatch that appear to be rust spots rising to the surface. They are definitely below the clear coat and are a noticeable rust brown on the Moonlight White. Going in for a warranty evaluation next week.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
BryanwSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imageplayer
I recently turned in my 335i and believe me, the paint quality wasn't that good as it should have been. Just after few months, swirls line covered the entire body from hand-wash. One way to avoid accumulating hairline scratches was to rinse off dust particles thoroughly before actually washing the car. Next time, look close at their paint and you'll see swirl lines all over the paint.. And there were paint bubbling issue on my 335i front bumper...
I had an 07 335i with 32k miles on it right before I got my 2010 G. Without question, the BMW had much better paint quality than the Inifiniti. I also had a Black 06 Audi A4 before that, which also had very good paint. It looked brand new when I sold it.

Both the BMW and my car now are Silver. With 5,800 miles, I have a few rock chips and light paint scratches. My car is ALWAYS garaged (I work from home) and protected with Zaino. It's just unacceptable that the Nissan paint sucks so bad. My 02 Pathfinder has so many scratches and rock chips it's absurd. You just have to wonder how these cars will hold up against rust after 10 - 12 years.

FYI - anyone who doubts paint quality, go to a dealer and look at used cars for Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Without question, the 3 - 4 year old Infiniti's look faded, scratched and chipped, while the Germans AND Acura (for those who says it's a Japanese environmental thing) still shine bright and often look almost new.