Body Interior Exterior Lighting

another paint durability thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by gimpy
I have a Moonlight White 09 G37xS sedan and am familier with the horror stories about Infiniti paint (had the pearl white paint on 05 G35 cpe that I traded in) so I had a custom wrap job done right after I bought this car. I had waited about 6 months on the 05 cpe. before I had a precut clear bra put on it and I had to repair several small chips before getting the bra installed. It will be a must have on any new car I but in the future.
What's the custom wrap job cost, and what's involved w/ the install?

I just hate having to plunk down $35-40k on a car and it's still not "ready" for the real world. Having to invest in clear bras & other such products just to keep your paint from flying off your car is really a bunch of BS that us as consumers shouldn't have to put up with

I do apreciate that at least one car company is investing plenty in their paint process. Hats off to Hyundai for quickly rising to the upper tiers regarding paint quality. I've got a couple friends w/ Genesis Sedans w/ more miles than my G and they still look flawless.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the second Black G for me. 2010 G37X. The paint jobs are notoriuosly bad. I have at 3 long hairline thick scratches in the hood. I drive to & from work in the NY area. Nededless to say, road debris, trucks without covers, road work debris and sand is all over. Hard to avoid. But where these hairline scratches are - is puzzling. Almost look like they were purposely done. These clearcoat paint jobs are so thin and have not been improved from my 07 G. It's disappointing Infiniti....
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
This is the second Black G for me. 2010 G37X. The paint jobs are notoriuosly bad. I have at 3 long hairline thick scratches in the hood. I drive to & from work in the NY area. Nededless to say, road debris, trucks without covers, road work debris and sand is all over. Hard to avoid. But where these hairline scratches are - is puzzling. Almost look like they were purposely done. These clearcoat paint jobs are so thin and have not been improved from my 07 G. It's disappointing Infiniti....
+1
Very Disappointing
Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moonlight White here. 8000 miles mostly summer road trips with one or two winter trips on I-80/25 in WY and CO. 50-60 chips. Thought my black Volvo was bad, but this car is worse. Black bumper primer makes chips especially noticeable. Gotta love the comments that it is a must to put a clear bra on a luxury car. The frickin' car should come with durable paint or a factory installed clear bra. One or the other. We should not have to pay extra to keep the paint from chipping so badly!!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 PM
wzupdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my new OB G37 about 10 months ago and I have like one tiny chip. I actually think the paint is decent - I take a buffer to it with some Zaino All In One and it gets rid of any tiny scratches or swirls. The paint was really soft when I first got it but it's better now. It honestly looks better than it did when I picked it up (it had some water spots).
Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had my car less than a month and therefore I can not comment on durability. That said, when looking to purchase the car one of the detractors was poor paint quality. There is alot of orange peel on the side panels; one of the worst examples I've seen on any new car recently, though somewhat comparable to a 2004 Acura TL I owned a few years ago. A 2011 Hyundai Sonota I test drove last month had a far superior paint job as did the 2003 BMW I just traded. There is alot of good about this car...the paint however leaves something to be desired.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 AM
RhiNoKiLL

does infiniti sell touch up paint ?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
does infiniti sell touch up paint ?
Of course they do, but it's going to look l ike crap unless it's applied carefully, leveled, polished, etc.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM
newg37
Banned

Originally Posted by financeman
I've had my car less than a month and therefore I can not comment on durability. That said, when looking to purchase the car one of the detractors was poor paint quality. There is alot of orange peel on the side panels; one of the worst examples I've seen on any new car recently, though somewhat comparable to a 2004 Acura TL I owned a few years ago. A 2011 Hyundai Sonota I test drove last month had a far superior paint job as did the 2003 BMW I just traded. There is alot of good about this car...the paint however leaves something to be desired.

THANK YOU!

i didn't know what "orange peel" meant when described my dissatisfied paint job. I described it as a kind of rough texture or runny paint.

i googled orange peel and there is a wiki about the phenomenon. I never noticed it in black because of obvious reasons but on the white coupe it was an eye sore.

i went to the dealership yesterday to negotiate a trade and checked out the other models paint jobs. They all have orange peel, even the convertibles and M series which should at least have better quality paint jobs.

my wife's old 2006 jetta has 100x better paint job with virtually no orange peel (except for the bottom portion of the side sills which I never detailed anyway because of the constant debris that got on them. also i think the side sills are painted that way to be more durable. no paint chips after 5 years)

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM
newg37
Banned

interesting read

What causes "orange peel" and how can it be corrected? - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum

No, you didn't cause it. Orange peel occurs when the car is being painted. Prior to the final polishing of the paint, it should be wet-sanded to remove imperfections, such as orange peel, fish-eyeing, etc.

But today's car manufacturers don't do that anymore. Cost's too much. (evidently)

Paint, polish, ship....and if it has orange peel, so be it.

So, in answer to your second question, yes, the only way to remove orange peel is wet-sanding.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM
surfjax87

A few up close pics of my front bumper. Also, a dump truck last night was spewing rocks like no other all over the road. I got some more chips on the front bumper and wheels.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
PascalT

I noticed some chips on my hood this weekend.. how do i go about fixing those? can I polish them out?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate a chipped up front bumper...really no way to fix except to repaint. During the winter I will typically avoid major highways, taking the slower secondary roads during bad weather to help reduce gravel/rock damage from salt trucks. Sometimes however its impossible to avoid. Sadly, they cannot be polished out.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
surfjax87

^^yup

I'll probably repaint my bumper and hood after I finish grad school. The problem with backroads near me are deer all over the place. I don't want to destroy my bumper avoiding a chip or two on the main roads.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Almatti

Agrred, the paint job on our 07 Honda CRV was much better, and the new 2010 Honda CRV in White which we just picked up a few weeks ago is far better _ it fels "thicker" and better lasting. But time will tell. BTW, although this is not a Honda Forum, for the Money, this CRV suits it's purpose very well [notwithstanding that it's a little Too CUTE for me]: very decent gas mileage, roomy and versatile. It won't haul F150 payloads or drive up the side of mountain, but as local go getter (shopping, commuting, Hoem Depot stuff), it works.... maybe CRV =- Cute Recreational Vehicle??

Quick Reply: another paint durability thread