Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Rear tail light coming out, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
jaxtraw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear tail light coming out, wtf?

G37, I was pulling into the garage today and noticed that the real tailight was coming out of its housing. There was no resistance when I tried to pull it out further, with just my hands, so I pushed it back in. Hopefully it will stay like that until I get to the dealer. I was never hit there, anybody experience this, or know why it would happen? Anybody have a ballpark on how much it would cost to replace?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean "coming out? The red lens? Or the whole unit? Maybe it was never fastened properly from the factory?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
jaxtraw

the whole passenger side unit. I have had the car for 2 years, the unit is not damaged but I noticed the dowel that is attached to the unit and is supposed to fit into the car feels very sticky, almost like electrical tape does when it has melted.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxtraw
G37, I was pulling into the garage today and noticed that the real tailight was coming out of its housing. There was no resistance when I tried to pull it out further, with just my hands, so I pushed it back in. Hopefully it will stay like that until I get to the dealer. I was never hit there, anybody experience this, or know why it would happen? Anybody have a ballpark on how much it would cost to replace?
what you need to do is pull the panel off and inspect the nuts to see whether it's still there or not. it's probably just some loose nuts. try that out before taking it to the dealer cuz they'll charge you for sure.

do you have a aftermarket subwoofer by any chance?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
jaxtraw

No sub-woofer. Took it to a body shop that has done work for me in the past, as you said the bolt came loose, dont know why. THey fixed it up for me, no charge.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxtraw
No sub-woofer. Took it to a body shop that has done work for me in the past, as you said the bolt came loose, dont know why. THey fixed it up for me, no charge.
I'm glad they didn't charge you. That's a job that would take MAYBE 3 minutes to fix. In the future don't be afraid to check it out yourself if something is coming out make sure it's secured properly