Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Tinted Tailights (What do you guys think?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Secret Admire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EnviedG35 nice job, they even still shining at day time. would they look shiny if I've used an overlay ??
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Secret Admire

Guys I really hope if you just stopped arguing about this. Everyone made his point clear, but it seems that you're not going to reach any thing by this.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 PM
JaxG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It all comes down to where you are located.. Here in FL, they rarely pull people over for tinted windows or anything of the sort.. Northern states they do...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Admire
EnviedG35 nice job, they even still shining at day time. would they look shiny if I've used an overlay ??
Thanks. Mine are painted, and you will not get that type of shine from an overlay.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EnviedG35
Thanks. Mine are painted, and you will not get that type of shine from an overlay.
VERY true. Mostly b/c with painted tails you can treat them just like the paint on your car. Ie compound, polish, wax, etc. Vinyls you can just wax but even then it doesnt do much
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Why are we discussing DUI in a thread about tinted tails?

Those look pretty good, if you don't see the lights anymore because of "reduced visibility" then you're too old to be driving
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THis argument goes on and on. Does anyone have links to objective testing or research on how much light is blocked by various forms of tinting tail lights. It has to be reduced...it's a question of whether the amount it is reduced would affect safety or not. I'd like to see an objective answer because we all know they look better tinted, but what if any risk/cost is associated with the better aesthetics?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
THis argument goes on and on. Does anyone have links to objective testing or research on how much light is blocked by various forms of tinting tail lights. It has to be reduced...it's a question of whether the amount it is reduced would affect safety or not. I'd like to see an objective answer because we all know they look better tinted, but what if any risk/cost is associated with the better aesthetics?
I agree that links to objective testing may shed some “light” on this issue. And being aware of the State standard where the car is registered would be helpful, lest the owner is forced to remove them as a result of being pulled over some day and it’s confirmed the standard was not met.

But I certainly disagree that “we all know they look better tinted.” We all know nothing of the sort. It’s a personal choice that we all may not share.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
But I certainly disagree that “we all know they look better tinted.” We all know nothing of the sort. It’s a personal choice that we all may not share.
Yep agree 100%, same goes for de-badging, lowering, exhaust note, wheel styles, exterior add-ons, etc. to each his own
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 PM
x1SoN

Wow! Alot of feedback in since the last time I checked. You all make valid points regarding cops, dui, etc... So I'll try and explain a little. I don't plan at all to put myself in a DUI situation. I'm 16 so I don't see myself starting a family anytime soon either lol. I have included three more pictures. One with the car in reverse, as requested. Another of the back of the car, taken with a better camera and a photoshop debadge. The third is a closeup of one tailight with the idle light on. Thanks and leave more feedback....

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^yeah man they look great. Good job! I really think dark tails give the car a much more aggressive look
Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Marc Collins

They look great/aggressive. But the pics cannot indicate how much less light is passing thorugh them. What is your estimate? If it's more than a tiny % less (like 5), then they are illegal in many jurisdictions. And illegal because they present a safety risk, not because there are style police who give a crap about what our cars look like.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Mark Collins makes a good point. Regarding the legality of these tail lights and assuming the OP lives in Florida, I took this from the State of Florida.com vehicle guide:
Lights:
Your car must have the following lights:
 Bright (high-beam) headlights which show objects 450 feet ahead.
 Dimmed (low-beam) headlights which show objects 150 feet ahead.
 Two red taillights mounted on the rear, visible from 1,000 feet.
 A white light that makes the license plate visible from 50 feet (The plate must be kept clean).
 Two red stoplights. They must be seen from 300 feet in the daytime, and must come on when the foot brake is pressed.

All vehicles, including animal-drawn vehicles, must have at least one white light visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the front. They must also have two red lights visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the rear, or one red light visible to the rear for a distance of 1,000 feet and two red reflectors visible from all distances from 600 feet to 1,000 feet.
That says to me that even during the day, the taillights must be red and visible from 1,000 feet. The brake lights must be seen from 300 feet, again including during the day. There also must be red reflectors.

Now I don’t know of OP’s tinted taillights are legal or not, but a cop pulling him over could argue that they are not, and with the “visible from…..” standard being a bit subjective, I would hate to defend them in court.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Chekov
Mark Collins makes a good point. Regarding the legality of these tail lights and assuming the OP lives in Florida, I took this from the State of Florida.com vehicle guide:

That says to me that even during the day, the taillights must be red and visible from 1,000 feet. The brake lights must be seen from 300 feet, again including during the day. There also must be red reflectors.

Now I don’t know of OP’s tinted taillights are legal or not, but a cop pulling him over could argue that they are not, and with the “visible from…..” standard being a bit subjective, I would hate to defend them in court.

It would be great if someone measured how far away the stock tail and brake lights are visible at night. Then some reasonable comparisons can be done. 1,000 feet may be a joke by today's superior lighting levels (think 1960's or 1970's North American head light performance!)

Personally, if the stock are visible at 2,000 feet and the tinted at 1,100, I would not tint.

If the stock are visible at 1,200 and the tinted at 1,000, I would not tint.

If the stock are visible at 2,500 and the tinted at 2,300, I might consider tinting and think that the light decrement was not such a big issue.

Etc...you get the idea.