Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Tinted Tailights (What do you guys think?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks good, but you are def going to get extra attention from the cops.

Be careful on friday and sat nights, even if you are driving perfectly fine, now they have a reason to pull you over...leading to blowing...higher chance of DUI...
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
Be careful on friday and sat nights, even if you are driving perfectly fine, now they have a reason to pull you over...leading to blowing...higher chance of DUI...
DUI is the stupidest, most retarded thing to ever get in trouble for. It is something you should NEVER have to worry about.

If you have been drinking, don't drive. Questions?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Secret Admire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x1SoN what you've done is nice , but I think you should not have painted the LED circles cause the car looks great with them at night & when you use the breaks it glows which makes it looks even better & obvious for who's driving behind you ( also avoid causing any safety hazard ) . And about the reverse lights, could u post a picture showing as how is it going to look when the car is in reverse ?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
DUI is the stupidest, most retarded thing to ever get in trouble for. It is something you should NEVER have to worry about.

If you have been drinking, don't drive. Questions?
Yes, I have a question. What about the guy who goes out for dinner with his family, and has a glass of wine or a beer? He is not legally intoxicated, but a cop pulling you over (for those tail lights no less) on the way home may think he notices something and conduct a field sobriety test in front of his family. Let’s say he passes. But does he really want to go through all that?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Secret Admire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chekov well said , I think you're right they would try to find any excuse to pull you over
Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chekov
Yes, I have a question. What about the guy who goes out for dinner with his family, and has a glass of wine or a beer? He is not legally intoxicated, but a cop pulling you over (for those tail lights no less) on the way home may think he notices something and conduct a field sobriety test in front of his family. Let’s say he passes. But does he really want to go through all that?
hahaha if a cop tried to pull someone out of a car for a field sobriety test after a drink with dinner then there is more wrong than just a waste of time.

If you are truly not intoxicated a field sobriety test takes MAYBE 90 seconds. I've been pulled out of the car for a field test after a 12 hour shift and as soon as the cop just saw i was tired it was over and he let me go.

If you are worried about looking bad in front of people or "wasting" 2 minutes of your life and really think tinting the tail lights will lead to that fine don't do it

Last edited by hispeed-lowdrag; 08-03-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think they might be a little to dark =/
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
SindhiStyle

completely agree with you. Once you have a family that last thing you need is to be explaining to your kids is why a cop has you standing infront of the car walking a straight line and touching your nose.

When you are young, the response usually is who cares. That same response usually soon changes with age/when you have a family.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Once you have a family that last thing you need is to be explaining to your kids is why a cop has you standing infront of the car walking a straight line and touching your nose.
I will gladly admit that I don't have a family so obviously it's not from experience...but I really think that if you have to do that then you either

a) really did have too much to drink
2) should be able to do it really fast w/ no problems, and the police will not give you any problems if you can obviously do it fine

or

d) if you're really that embarrassed in front of your family then don't drink at all. ever.

What's wrong with saying "hey Billy the police try to catch people who have had too much to drink, and they just wanted to make sure Daddy didn't have too much. I did awesome on their test, etc. etc. etc."
Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks good, but you are def going to get extra attention from the cops.

Aside from the DUI...you're less likely of getting messed with for tinted tails at night than anything. Ive had my tails tinted for a while now and at night you cannnot tell at all that they are tinted. The leds are bright and crisp enough that there is no way anybody would even know that the tails are tinted; most people cant even tell mine are tinted at night and i can still light up street signs behind me a block away with my brake lights

Mine during the day

Running lights at night

Brakes

Last edited by EnviedG35; 08-03-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
SindhiStyle

I will gladly admit that I don't have a family so obviously it's not from experience...but I really think that if you have to do that then you either

2) should be able to do it really fast w/ no problems, and the police will not give you any problems if you can obviously do it fine

or

d) if you're really that embarrassed in front of your family then don't drink at all. ever.

What's wrong with saying "hey Billy the police try to catch people who have had too much to drink, and they just wanted to make sure Daddy didn't have too much. I did awesome on their test, etc. etc. etc."
Fair enough, everyone has a different way and ideas on how to raise their children. (it is sometimes hard to explain things to your 2 year old son ) I personally have a 2 drink limit no matter when I am driving, because my family/medical license is worth way more to me then another drink at dinner! On the other hand, I try not to drink at all when the kids/neices are in the car.

Sorry to the OP for sidetracking. I DO like the tails a lot. Good luck with the cops (all of this came up because my friend was pulled over a few years ago for tinted tails)
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice tails.

Tinted tails are just as likely to get you pulled over as missing your front plate. Everyone still does it anyway. My friend was driving my Accord a few years ago in K-Town and the rest of us passengers were pretty drunk. We got pulled over since I didn't have a front plate. Fortunately, the driver doesn't drink, so we got off pretty easily (even though we crammed 6 in the car).

My point is you're taking a calculated risk by doing one or the other (or both), so it's really up to you on whether it's worth giving them more reasons to stop you. If a cop really wants to pull you over, he'll find a dumb reason, whether it's for tinted tail lights or a tire that looks slightly deflated.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Well, putting aside the safety issue (where I still believe that if there’s less light emitted from darkened tails then there’s a potential safety risk), I was coming from the position of attracting cops because they may believe the darkened tails have not met the state’s standard for light emission. In other words, even if these tails are legal they still may draw attention from law enforcement. And you’ve heard it before: get pulled over for one thing and they may find another, etc…
There's no way thats legal! Here in CA, the law is written to where you can't have ANY modifications to the OEM lights.

We all do things to attract the cops, i.e, lowered, tinting, loud radio, exhaust, no front plates, etc.....etc.....

We all take the risk and shouldn't complain when we do get pulled over.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

or

I think you’re over-arguing here to a fault (I know, I may do that from time to time myself. ). The scenario as written is a practical and logical possibility that many of us could be faced with. To suggest that the driver did have too much to drink, or that being subject to a field sobriety test is no big deal, or that he should refrain from any drinking for the rest of his life, is not a rational or realistic solution.

Let’s stay focused on the original point, i.e., darkened tail lights could make the car a cop magnet, and being pulled over for that is fraught with other risks most drivers would rather avoid.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Tinted tails are just as likely to get you pulled over as missing your front plate. Everyone still does it anyway.
Originally Posted by raul0434
There's no way thats legal! Here in CA, the law is written to where you can't have ANY modifications to the OEM lights.

We all do things to attract the cops, i.e, lowered, tinting, loud radio, exhaust, no front plates, etc.....etc.....

We all take the risk and shouldn't complain when we do get pulled over.
Please, everyone does NOT still do it anyway. I’m sure I’m one of millions who have not tinted their tail lights, have a front plate installed, and have cars that are not lowered, tinted, but have stock exhausts, etc.

OK, I may have played my radio too loud once in a while, but I'm old and hard of hearing.

Quick Reply: Tinted Tailights (What do you guys think?)