Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Overlays: Side Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 AM
xclratn
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overlays: Side Mirrors

I sent a PM to Blue_Batmobile asking if he ever thought of doing a black overlay for the side mirrors. He asked me to create a thread to see what the interest would be.

So, would anyone consider black overlays for their side mirrors?

I think it would go great with the roof overlay.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've been on here long enough to say that the consensus would be negative towards overlays, more so on sidemirrors. There are carbon fiber cap options from Limited Edition (Danny, aka "ucla bruin" here).

Why dont you just buy black vinyl sheets from your local sign shop, cut and apply it yourself?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM
xclratn
Registered Member

You're the first person I have seen to write anything negative on the overlays, not that I have read every post about them.

Why?

I have wondered about them and how reliable they are.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
myk1013

I didn't say anything negative about overlays. I actually had Bat's rear diffuser overlays before I installed the AK-X diffuser. Many guys here just want something more permanent and durable. Overlays are prone to scratching, specially if placed on the roof.

But you just mentioned you want to do your side mirrors, that should be fine. Demand for them won't be much here. You won't need a special shape or cut to cover the side mirrors, just get the vinyl from any sign shop.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
strdr19

I was under the impression that the overlays were the way to go on your tail lights instead of painting them?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Blue_Batmobile
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
The great thing about my overlays is you can remove them down the line if you wanna change the look of your car, or if you are leasing. Plus if you get pulled over for painted tails, its gonna be a biatch to remove the paint!

Bat™
Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
I've been on here long enough to say that the consensus would be negative towards overlays, more so on sidemirrors. There are carbon fiber cap options from Limited Edition (Danny, aka "ucla bruin" here).

Why dont you just buy black vinyl sheets from your local sign shop, cut and apply it yourself?
Myk is correct, the consensus is definitely negative towards overlays. However, this is the first time i have heard of people talking about doing an overlay for the side mirrors. I don't think it's a good idea but if you want it, go for it! It might turn out really well.

Originally Posted by strdr19
I was under the impression that the overlays were the way to go on your tail lights instead of painting them?
The ONLY time i think overlays are better than painting the tails is if you are leasing. Even then I would paint the tails instead of an overlay. Stripping the paint off is VERY easy (I just did it this weekend to repaint my tails)

And on a side note, I have NEVER seen a set of overlays without bubbling or creasing
Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xclratn
I sent a PM to Blue_Batmobile asking if he ever thought of doing a black overlay for the side mirrors. He asked me to create a thread to see what the interest would be.

So, would anyone consider black overlays for their side mirrors?

I think it would go great with the roof overlay.
I popped the cover off and painted it with PlastiDip... the PlastiDip finish matches almost exactly to the OEM black plastic on the mirrors.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
haha i was just gonna say plastidip it!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 AM
myk1013

Originally Posted by Infinite.G
I popped the cover off and painted it with PlastiDip... the PlastiDip finish matches almost exactly to the OEM black plastic on the mirrors.
You mean the painted part of the side mirror housing? Those things pop off? How?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STOOF
haha i was just gonna say plastidip it!
Word!

Originally Posted by myk1013
You mean the painted part of the side mirror housing? Those things pop off? How?
The mirror itself just clips in... you can get to the release with a flathead. It's best to enter through the lower outside corners. Once you have the mirror popped off, there are a couple screws and a couple tabs that hold the cover on.

Easy as that...

I'll see what I can do about pictures. I got the instructions out of the service manual.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Holy thread resurrection lol plasti dip is an option or di-noc overlay can be used as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Sco1oter

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The side mirror covers pop right off...just need to be careful getting them loose.

I had a local body shop paint mine Obsidian black for something like $40. If its not a lease, just get them painted the color you want. If you like the carbon fiber look, there are some pretty good snap on replacement covers.

Have fun,

Sco1oter
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
xclratn
Registered Member

Hmmmm......either paint them or just buy the black ones from the dealer. That way, I have both in the event I need or want to revert back. I wonder how much the pieces would run?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

PlastiDip looks better IMO because it blends in perfectly to the black plastic on the mirror base... If you don't like it, peel it off.

Quick Reply: Overlays: Side Mirrors