Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

NJ tint laws limit me

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jersey cop sucks when it comes to tint. They dont even know how to use the tint gun, or the fundamentals on how it works. I'm not sure, but this guy told me that tinting the fronts is still illegal, however as of July 2010, when u go to Jersey DMV inspection, they are only going to inspect emissions, so if you car ride is good with that you get your nice new Sticker for the front. I think is like a trade off now, because if you pass emissions, but have the fronts tinted, and you know its illegal. Police officers would now have more money to make and giving out tickets there and there. Then again you could have 5% limo all around, and never ever get pulled over. I'm going and leaning towards just 35% all around, I was going to do 20% rears and 35% front, but I think I rather have it uniform all around. 2 many LAWS here. ITS a 100F in Jersey, damn its hot as hell! Time to hit the Shore.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 PM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSCA
I'm from NY (close to the NJ border) and my buddy is from NJ. He decided to go with 20% all the way around and he tells me that he doesn't get hassled by the cops. He does have to remove the tint on the front side windows to pass NJ state inspection though (we have no such problem in NY), so every couple of years he pays to have the tint removed/replaced.

BTW, I think it looks terrible to have dark tint on the back window and quarter windows if you leave the front side windows untinted. If I lived in NJ and was worried about cops/fines, I'd simply tint the back window and leave all the sides untinted. At least it will look uniform from the sides that way...

It is my current setting. I tinted the back 15% and the sides are not tinted right know because I did not like the look rears tinted/fronts not tinted and changed it. With the graphite interior it is pretty dark.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Mikef973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springfield NJ. Just got 20% all around. Got my G coupe July 8th. Previously had an Acura with i believe 35% front and 20% rear and over the course of 5 years only got stopped maybe 3 times for tint if I recall. And to the poster from NY, you dont have to scrape off your tint before inspection LOL just go to a private state certified service station that u know wont give you a hard time. Just make sure they know if a cop stops you, you'll say you got the tints AFTER they inspected you because some are afraid theyll lose their certification liscence to do inspections. The place in my town never even cared to bring it up tho, some ppl are cooler than others. Never got stopped in my town for anything including tints for as long as ive been driving.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:26 PM
dotey

Originally Posted by mystakin
so i finally went ahead and got a FEW of my windows tinted. here in nj, front windows cannot be tinted at all. its terrible. however, the backs can be as dark as you want and i went with what i thought looked the best.. 5% sides, 20% back. i got it done from autocreations which is a small family run shop and it seems like a very good job. i dont see any air bubbles or any creases, and the back window was done all in one piece. they use johnson film and quoted me for $100. i thought it was a bit low, but then again ive gotten all my cars done from there. from what i can tell, the johnson film looks very similar to factory tint from the inside, and is a nice pure black from the outside. here is a pic from a side shot.

now my question to you all is, what do you think about 35% in the front? id like to get some opinions on this subject, especially from jersey drivers. any of you been hassled for 35% in the front? i know 20% is way too dark for the front and its not like i have the money to keep paying for tickets. plus this car is my daily and i see a cop or two every day. anyone have pics of 35% on the front and darker on the back? just want to see how it would come out before i spend more money on something that will only cost me even more money!
thanks guys, i know this is a lot of questions but it would really help me make an educated decision.. see how much i trust you guys?!
This is prob what i'll be doing in Van, BC. Hey... Can you post a few more pics? pretty plz?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

i dont like how much light gets in through the front :/ i really want to go 35% in the front. i think 50% would just look out of place with the darker tints in the back. i feel so exposed having the fronts completely bare.. i usually drive with my windows down so it doesnt look too odd
i read about nj trying to get rid of state inspections and just keep emission inspections. that would be really nice. i wouldnt mind tinting the windows then. i really hate wasting money in the sense that i would have had to pay to take off the tint and then put it back on right after the inspection. i also now dont really worry about having HID fogs ive been thinking about getting the fronts tinted about a week after getting the backs done, but i really dont know how long i would last w/o a ticket. at my high school we have open lunches and cops are on every street looking to give a ticket.. a kid i know stopped driving his evo because he would get a tint ticket every week. its just not nice

hey dotey are you the one who started the thread about wanting pics of just backs tinted? i was just about to link you to this thread.. haha ill take more pics today
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
JessterCPA

I also hear stories about some townships in my area (Clifton, West Paterson, the Caldwells) where the police will ask you to remove the tint on-site when they pull you over.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
dotey

Originally Posted by mystakin
i dont like how much light gets in through the front :/ i really want to go 35% in the front. i think 50% would just look out of place with the darker tints in the back. i feel so exposed having the fronts completely bare.. i usually drive with my windows down so it doesnt look too odd
i read about nj trying to get rid of state inspections and just keep emission inspections. that would be really nice. i wouldnt mind tinting the windows then. i really hate wasting money in the sense that i would have had to pay to take off the tint and then put it back on right after the inspection. i also now dont really worry about having HID fogs ive been thinking about getting the fronts tinted about a week after getting the backs done, but i really dont know how long i would last w/o a ticket. at my high school we have open lunches and cops are on every street looking to give a ticket.. a kid i know stopped driving his evo because he would get a tint ticket every week. its just not nice

hey dotey are you the one who started the thread about wanting pics of just backs tinted? i was just about to link you to this thread.. haha ill take more pics today
that's me! i'm thinking of adding some clear film for UV protection now in front too. might be overdoing it.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

brought my girlfriend over so she could take a few pics with her high def camera lol. will upload some in a bit.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
ak47
Banned

y u guys so scared... i got double limo all around and my entire windshield is tinted 35%, and i dont get bothered at all.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

^ because my luck is ***. plus i have open lunches at my high school and there is a cop on every street waiting for one of us teenagers to mess up.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Got mine done 35% all around and no problems yet since mid June. If you look around on the roads you will notice that its more common than you might think here in NJ, so just don't go limo tint and you'll be fine.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TONY37X
Got mine done 35% all around and no problems yet since mid June. If you look around on the roads you will notice that its more common than you might think here in NJ, so just don't go limo tint and you'll be fine.
i have 5% in the back side small windows and 20% on the back. i was thinking about going 35% on the front windows. you have any idea what the fix-it/ticket price is for tints? just trying to judge if its really worth it..
Old 08-22-2010, 11:41 AM
TONY37X

Here's Mine Tinted 35% All Around...Pictures Taken at Dusk so it looks a little darker.

Name:  LightingUpgrades-1-1.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  LightingUpgrades-6-1.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Hey I see that your from nj, how have cops been with giving you tickets? Has it happened at all? I really like the clean look. On the coupe our front window takes up so much space, having it bare with tints on the back windows looks bad. I am really about to get the 35 on the front, but want some stories from other nj drivers. I know at my school, if you drive with your windows up and with tint then you're pretty much asking to get pulled over. I also don't want to drive around all the time with my windows down because that defeats the purpose of ever getting the tint. And if I do have them on I don't want to be scared of cops looking to give me q ticket
Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
TONY37X

Originally Posted by TONY37X
As earlier stated...

Quick Reply: NJ tint laws limit me