Alarm Panic and Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM
g37brad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm Panic and Headlights

Hey guys,

What's up? Last night I was laying on my bed after I got home and had my keys in my pocket. It was around 1am, and all the sudden I hear a car alarm going off like crazy. It was going off for ATLEAST a minute or two until I thought to look outside, and realized it was my car! I think I somehow pushed the "Panic" button on my keys when I was laying down. I didn't realize it was that easy to make go off just by laying down with the keys in my pocket.

Anyways, I jumped up and hit the lock button and the alarm turned off. Poor neighbors...

My main concern was the fact that when I looked outside the HEADLIGHTS we're flashing ON/OFF like 100x! Isn't that the worst thing for the HIDS? Why do the headlights blink? Did this mess up/damage/shorten the life of my HIDs?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g37brad
Hey guys,

What's up? Last night I was laying on my bed after I got home and had my keys in my pocket. It was around 1am, and all the sudden I hear a car alarm going off like crazy. It was going off for ATLEAST a minute or two until I thought to look outside, and realized it was my car! I think I somehow pushed the "Panic" button on my keys when I was laying down. I didn't realize it was that easy to make go off just by laying down with the keys in my pocket.

Anyways, I jumped up and hit the lock button and the alarm turned off. Poor neighbors...

My main concern was the fact that when I looked outside the HEADLIGHTS we're flashing ON/OFF like 100x! Isn't that the worst thing for the HIDS? Why do the headlights blink? Did this mess up/damage/shorten the life of my HIDs?
It's not any easier/harder to push the button on this key fob than any other lol

As for your lights, if it was happening for a long period of time every day, yes you might shorten the life. But just one time like that isn't going to hurt anything
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I try to remember to take my car keys out of my pocket, once I'm home. I've gone out to the garage to find all the windows rolled down once and the trunk has popped open 4 times on my G.
I have put those rubber jackets over the smart keys. It recesses the buttons just a bit, but still not enough.
Just yesterday my Ram p/u's alarm went off, because I laid on the key. I found out on that setup you have to re-hit the panic button to get it to stop. I tried pushing the lock and then the unlock button on the Ram's fob, but the alarm kept going.
What concerned me, about the longevity of the xenons, was the fact that, during daylight hours, the headlights came on every time I started the G in the garage or when pulling it into the garage. Now I just leave the auto light setting turned off.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
What concerned me, about the longevity of the xenons, was the fact that, during daylight hours, the headlights came on every time I started the G in the garage or when pulling it into the garage. Now I just leave the auto light setting turned off.
that happens to me to when I'm in the garage. Again, if it was flickering on and off for several minutes multiple times a day every day it might have an effect but just once or twice for a very short amount of time isn't going to hurt anything