Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Uncomfortable sport seat thigh bolsters

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
XsG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you try an auto seat cushion. That extra inch or two will raise you out of the grip zone.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
D_Nyholm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redz06
By the way, my weekend car is a 2008 Corvette Z06. Problems with the driver's seat -- none at all. When I have it out on the road, I do not need to get out of the seat any more frequently than the Z06 needs gasoline, every 6 hours or so, as demonstrated by a 4500 mile road trip.
Well, we all know that a Corvette is not known for having the best seats. At least not the best at holding you in or staying in place Just poking fun here!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Driver

do you drive a sport version or non-sport version?

sport version rides somewhat firm whereas non-sport is more forgiving
Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 AM
BillPaul

Not sure who you're asking about ride. Yes, I have the sport version (2010 G37S MT6 sedan). It is very firm on city streets, but smooths out nicely on the highway. Great for road trips. I don't mind the firm ride as I expected it.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 AM
BillPaul

Originally Posted by XsG
Why don't you try an auto seat cushion. That extra inch or two will raise you out of the grip zone.
Extra seat cushion is a great idea. However, this will decrease head room, and I like to sit fairly high. Not sure if it would work for me, but I may give it a try.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i never understood the point of the thigh bolsters....though i do have them a bit inflated.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM
BillPaul

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
i never understood the point of the thigh bolsters....though i do have them a bit inflated.
Take a look at the Consumer Reports road test of the G37 sedan. Thigh bolsters would be needed to keep you in your seat as you corner at high speeds. You will need to be an on-line CR subscriber.

Car Model Review - Consumer Reports

Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BillPaul
Take a look at the Consumer Reports road test of the G37 sedan. Thigh bolsters would be needed to keep you in your seat as you corner at high speeds. You will need to be an on-line CR subscriber.
the power torso adj. helps keep me in my seat more than the thigh bolsters. those just kinda seem to raise my legs up more.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 AM
redz06

Good seats

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Well, we all know that a Corvette is not known for having the best seats. At least not the best at holding you in or staying in place Just poking fun here!
You know, having the best seats was not even in my top 10 list, when I bought my Z06. It was strictly intended to be a weekender (not a garage queen).When shopping for a car to be my daily driver, the G37 6MT sedan was on my list, as I have been using a G35 sedan for over over 7 years for this same service. My daily drive is 50 miles in Houston traffic, and somehow driver comfort is important (in the top 10 list). Go figure. (Just poking fun back!)
Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the real issue is feeling confined, although I am sure it's a part of it.

I have had my car for over a year now and although I like the thigh bolsters when zooming around tight turns and on short drives around town, on any ride over 2 hours long they are terrible. I do not feel the right one, but the left one presses into my leg and makes me very uncomfortable.

What's interesting to me is that the coupe's sport seats seem wider somehow. i don't know for sure, but that was my impression whn sitting in an S coupe.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you should not buy sports seats given your frame/shape/size/whatever. Or, test drive thoroughly ahead of time. I am 6'1" and just slightly above my optimum weight and love the seats. I would not have bought a G37 unless I could get the sports seats as I don't like the regular ones. To each his own. Caveat emptor.

Originally Posted by redz06
I'm 6'-5", 230 lbs, but neither of those figures determines my level of comfort or discomfort in the G37 sport seats. It really has to do with the size of my frame. The steel bars that Infiniti has designed into the sport seats bear directly on my leg bones, making the seats pretty uncomfortable after an hour or less. Yes, it is true, I am not your typical Japanese male...but really, this basic car is being offered for sale in the US since 2003. Surely the Infiniti designers have noticed the ergonomic difference in the Japanese and American frame by now.

Truth be told, I had the same issue with a Porsche 944 Turbo that I owned for many years. This car was also equipped with sport seats and I would have to crawl out of the driver's seat every hour to get the blood circulation going in my legs again.

My issue with the G37 sport seats made me back away from buying a 2010 6MT sedan to replace my daily driver, a 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan with standard seats.

By the way, my weekend car is a 2008 Corvette Z06. Problems with the driver's seat -- none at all. When I have it out on the road, I do not need to get out of the seat any more frequently than the Z06 needs gasoline, every 6 hours or so, as demonstrated by a 4500 mile road trip.

In my opinion, Infiniti simply needs to address the issue...who are they designing the North American market G37 for? I await the salesperson that will admit to me that their North American product is only meant to fit the typical Japanese male (or a US customer that approximates that body size.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 AM
redz06

Marc,
That's exactly the way I feel and why I backed away from buying a 2010 Sedan 6MT. If I could not have the brake and steering feel that go along with this model because Infiniti only offers this option with the sport seat, I would rather not have the car at all rather than have it with regrets. The biggest problem is for people that do not have a long enough test drive to understand that the design of the sport seat may make them supremely uncomfortable after one or two hours on the road.

If I could order the sport suspension and brake package with the standard seats -- would I? I probably would even though my butt is "small" enough that it slides around in the standard seat something awful.

My G35 is a rare early model with cloth seats. While the form of the seat does not grip me so well as a sport seat might, the friction given by the cloth is much better than the friction available from leather. Perhaps this is why the better aftermarket seats offer inserts of cloth or alcantra to provide a better grip on the driver's butt than you will ever get with smooth leather.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
oldschool33

2011 G37S Sport Seats??? Still?

I am in the process of buying an 2011 G37 AWD Sport Edition model at the moment and I am stressed. I am 5 '11" and around 192lbs and I have not driven the car long enough to find the seats uncomfortable on my thighs. I have come across numerous threads on how to remove the 6" bar to make the seats comfortable. Are these seats really that bad, enough to avoid the Sports Edition model? I am going to have to decide in the next couple days - I'm spending $27K and want to make sure I make the right decision. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschool33
I am in the process of buying an 2011 G37 AWD Sport Edition model at the moment and I am stressed. I am 5 '11" and around 192lbs and I have not driven the car long enough to find the seats uncomfortable on my thighs. I have come across numerous threads on how to remove the 6" bar to make the seats comfortable. Are these seats really that bad, enough to avoid the Sports Edition model? I am going to have to decide in the next couple days - I'm spending $27K and want to make sure I make the right decision. Any advice is appreciated!
Relax, man. Configure the side-bolsters all the way out for a while. I bet you'll be pulling them in snug again in a few short weeks. It quickly becomes the new normal, and actually feels weird when you get in another car without sport seats.

I'm 5'10 and around 190 on a bad week , and I love these seats.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
g37flamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i found them comfortable for around 6-8 hr drive not more i guess no other seat can be more conformable drives many cars the best leather seats is on my g

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable sport seat thigh bolsters