Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Where is the outside temp. sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the outside temp. sensor?

I am curious to know where the outside temp. sensor is on the G Sedan. My readings are abnormally higher (around 10º higher) than the actual temperature; even in the shade.

My '05 G was the same way, regardless of the season. I had 2 Toyotas prior to 2005 and the outside temp. reading was much more accurate (within 1-2 degrees), regardless of the cars location, etc. Anyone else notice abnormally higher outside temp readings?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Hotrodder00

+1 for that....I had a reading of 119 yesterday....we are in Arizona, but it's not THAT hot! It cooled off to 116 after about 10 minutes. I just assume it runs high and there's probably not much we can do about it!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 AM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"The outside temperature sensor is located in front of the radiator. The sensor may be affected by road or engine heat, wind directions and other driving conditions. The display may differ from the actual outside temperature or the temperature displayed on various signs or billboards."
The following 2 users liked this post by exit9:
abrecos (06-21-2022), Fresh Mobile (10-31-2014)
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 AM
TX_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this issue. I'm in Dallas, TX and it was only about 97 today, but the G37 said it was around 107. I was going to make a trip to the dealer to have them look at it, but I guess it just runs hot. Oh well...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:50 AM
G37NC

Well like I said, my previous Toyota (and I assume Lexus), must have their sensor more strategically located as they are way more accurate, regardless of engine heat, wind direction, etc. I wish Infiniti would address this. It's especially nice to have more accurate temp readings if you are driving cross country or in areas where the temp changes can vary greatly.

Oh well, at least it's not just me with this issue.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
sirrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Audi had the same problem, thought the new G would be better. Oh well
Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never had the outside temp be accurate at startup on any car that sits in the sun in hot weather. To be fair, it probably is pretty accurate, as it is getting heat from the asphalt, etc. Just drive for a few minutes and it will return to normal.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 PM
mw09g37

like mentioned before the sensor is generally in front of the radiator which is why during hot weather that sensor can be almost 10F I mean in normal temperature it's pretty accurate, not when you have sun beating down on your car which radiates it's own heat due to like 140F surface temperature.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...ml#post2903106

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
The fsm says it's attached to the "Hood Lock Stay Assembly" which is in the front-center below the hood -- it extends down I think from the top at the front hood latch to below the grille. In the picture below I think that's supposed to be the radiator behind it.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
I've never had the outside temp be accurate at startup on any car that sits in the sun in hot weather. To be fair, it probably is pretty accurate, as it is getting heat from the asphalt, etc. Just drive for a few minutes and it will return to normal.

The software also dictates when the temp sensor reading will start updating, generally above 45 mph. It's not abnormal for the temp to be off at startup.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
SM_Shadowman

I've found it exaggerates a bit, but not so much as to be useless. Usually it's a few degrees off. Also, the "official" temperatures you get from the news or noaa or whatever are measured as shade temps.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Marc Collins

Half the cars put it near the radiator or somewhere at the front of the car (near the engine). The other half put it near the back bumper or higher up/under in the car. Which ones have engineers that understand the rather basic concept that the engine is a giant heat source?

All the cars that put them at the front have the same issue--it wildly overstates the temperature even just from the heat coming off the pavement or the heat coming from the engine if the car was run recently or from the engine itself if the car is running or more than one of these at the same time. I guess they like to put in guages that have no accuracy and are therefore minimally useful?!?!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^that is an overstatement IMO.

sure it's a couple degrees off sometimes (I have never had it even close to 10 off) and I live in SC where it DOES get very hot. I am not looking for an exact temp reading, I just want a guage. So if my temp on the car reads 99,102, whatever I know its basically hot as hell. if it's lower, then it's a little cooler out.

the only temperature you will EVER get that is spot on is if you carry a thermometer with you and hold it in front of you for a couple minutes lol
Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
^^that is an overstatement IMO.

sure it's a couple degrees off sometimes (I have never had it even close to 10 off) and I live in SC where it DOES get very hot. I am not looking for an exact temp reading, I just want a guage. So if my temp on the car reads 99,102, whatever I know its basically hot as hell. if it's lower, then it's a little cooler out.

the only temperature you will EVER get that is spot on is if you carry a thermometer with you and hold it in front of you for a couple minutes lol
Careful, you'll start a trend and next thing you know there will be legislation outlawing holding thermometers in front of your face while driving.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Careful, you'll start a trend and next thing you know there will be legislation outlawing holding thermometers in front of your face while driving.

Quick Reply: Where is the outside temp. sensor?