Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Where is the outside temp. sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:32 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Half the cars put it near the radiator or somewhere at the front of the car (near the engine). The other half put it near the back bumper or higher up/under in the car. Which ones have engineers that understand the rather basic concept that the engine is a giant heat source?

All the cars that put them at the front have the same issue--it wildly overstates the temperature even just from the heat coming off the pavement or the heat coming from the engine if the car was run recently or from the engine itself if the car is running or more than one of these at the same time. I guess they like to put in guages that have no accuracy and are therefore minimally useful?!?!
Disagree. During normal driving airflow from the front of the radiator ensures the sensor reads ambient temp, not engine radiated temp. And since it's lower on the radiator support (and heat rises) it's further isolated from any engine heat. If you're in stop/go traffic you may argue that the temp at the sensor will increase, but keep in mind as soon as the coolant temp reaches fan threshold temps the cooling fan will come on ensuring proper airflow from the front of the rad. My previous car had it in the the front and closer to the pavement and it and this car are relatively accurate.

The purpose of the sensor is not to provide a "weather update" temp, but to provide the various systems in the car with the proper ambient temp whether it's heated by the pavement or other factors and used for calculations related to engine control, HVAC control, etc.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TK5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside Temperature Probe Location/Accuracy

Does anyone know where the outside temperature probe is located on my '08 G37s and how accurate it is?

Re: the accuracy, I am more concerned about the effects of sun and such on the reading because I am assuming a standard thermocouple is much more accurate than the 1 degree display.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM
freesurfer
Registered Member

Driving at speed could also affect the temperature readings, depending on its location.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 15951
I've never had the outside temp be accurate at startup on any car that sits in the sun in hot weather. To be fair, it probably is pretty accurate, as it is getting heat from the asphalt, etc. Just drive for a few minutes and it will return to normal.
I concur... The radiant heat from sunlight, metal, road. cement etc. causes it to read high until you start driving and the ambient temp corrects the reading.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:35 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Have to resurrect this... My sensor is broken. I need to replace it. Anyone have a pic of it mounted? I know mine is broken off whatever bracket it sits on as it's dangling behind my grill & I have no idea where it's supposed to mount too.
Also a part number for replacement would help. And maybe even whatever part it mounts too.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Noticed today temp showed 59 and it was 45 according to accuweather. This was during rush hour Denver traffic so slow speeds (low air flow) probably was at least part of the problem. It sounds like a common problem to have high readings, but is there something that can be done to correct it, or just have to live with gauge that doesn't work? My Explorer temp reading seems to be within a couple of degrees of weather report numbers, all the time.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:11 PM
tbear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From the FSM:
AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE
  • The unified meter and A/C amp. receives the ambient sensor signal from the ambient sensor.
  • The unified meter and A/C amp. calculates the ambient temperature according to the ambient sensor signal,

and transmits it to the combination meter.
• The indicated temperature does not increase if the vehicle speed is less than 20 km/h (12 MPH).
NOTE:
  • The ambient sensor input value that is displayed on “Data Monitor” of CONSULT-III is the value before the
    correction. It may not match the indicated temperature on the information display.
  • Ambient temperature may be indicated higher than an actual temperature, depending on heat in the engine,

a road surface temperature, and so on.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (06-21-2022)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 PM
mjunod
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my 2008 G37S coupe the temperature reading started show hotter than outside real temp even with highway driving. Started showing 10 degrees higher and wasn't until it read over 25 degrees higher when dealer replaced the part SENSOR ASSY-AMBIENT-27710-JL00A under warranty.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:55 PM
abretz89

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just had this issue tonight while driving home. I was cruising thru town at 45mph or so with no traffic and the gauge was reading 102 when the outside temp was 79. This is at 9pm so no real heat off the road and a steady breeze. A/c was off with windows/sunroof open. Could having climate control off affect the reading?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
My outside temperature readings, once I have driven a few minutes at ~30 MPH, used to be pretty accurate, within a degree or so.

Yesterday I went to the dealership and had a bunch of stuff done - coolant flush/fill, brake fluid change, driveline fluids change and auto trans fluid change. When I left the dealership the indicated temperature was 10° higher than the actual ambient. I drove for 40 minutes and the indicated was still 10° above actual. Today, driving around, indicated was 10° above ambient.

So. WTF.

Changing fluids causes temperature inaccuracy? I don't see how.

I sent the service tech/writer an email asking him, "What is this?"

Is there a way to enter a correction or calibration into the system?

Odd. Just weird.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz
My outside temperature readings, once I have driven a few minutes at ~30 MPH, used to be pretty accurate, within a degree or so.

Yesterday I went to the dealership and had a bunch of stuff done - coolant flush/fill, brake fluid change, driveline fluids change and auto trans fluid change. When I left the dealership the indicated temperature was 10° higher than the actual ambient. I drove for 40 minutes and the indicated was still 10° above actual. Today, driving around, indicated was 10° above ambient.

So. WTF.

Changing fluids causes temperature inaccuracy? I don't see how.

I sent the service tech/writer an email asking him, "What is this?"

Is there a way to enter a correction or calibration into the system?

Odd. Just weird.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:03 PM
milosz
Registered Member

AHA! Ambient (outside) temp sensor location

EXCELLENT PHOTOS!!!!! Very very good pictures there, many thanks.

I can see that it is real close to the radiator cap, so, yeah, maybe it got disturbed or soaked with coolant or who knows what might have happened.

I ordered a new sensor, or what I THINK is the Infiniti G37 ambient air temperature sensor Part# 27722-1VA0A. It was $19 incl. shipping to Chicago via Amazon.

It's not a big deal. But, I am curious abut what is going on. I'll replace the thing and see if the reading is more accurate.

It would nice if it was as accurate as it was when I got the car, which was really pretty accurate.

I'll take a look at the 27722-1VA0A when it comes, I am guessing it is a thermistor.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lololololol
Old 09-24-2017, 04:18 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Very funny

Yeah, I looked, and, no, that's not where it is....