Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Leather Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indycase
I considered the 335xi too, and I agree the materials are fairly high quality but when I sat in it, I said to myself, "I'm paying how much to sit in here?" The plastic may be a bit higher quality but it has no style. The buttons are littered all over the lower portion of the centre console, behind the shifter. The instrument cluster is a joke - white fonts printed on a black background - and in red colour at night? Who can read that? I just hate red lighting and I'm only 31 and have 20-20 vision. Which brings me to the cupholder - afterthought? .. The driver has to reach over and spring it out right over the passenger's thigh .. that's a great idea (not!) ... but yeah, you shouldn't be drinking anything. You should be driving cuz it's a BMW ... And what's with those indented spots with grippy dimpled rubber inserts (e.g. around the shifter)? Maybe faux-suede and a cover would make them look more fitting in a 335 than those in my SR20DE SE-R (Sentra) - anyways, to me, the BMW's interior is ugly, has poor ergonomics, is old school, and it's sad to look at especially when you pay so much money for the whole car. But then again, that's the positioning of BMW - as long as it drives well, everything else takes second place, including the heated steering wheel which the sales guy tried to show me but was broken - how embarassing.
I don't like the red lighting either, but it's been studied and found to be the best compromise between visible gauges and keeping your night vision sharp. They didn't just arbitrarily choose that color.

Agreed on the other comments. I test drove a 3-series awhile ago, and was annoyed that leather costs extra, the dash was stark and uninvolving, and the seats were hard as a rock. Some people love it, and some don't. Thankfully, given the price and reputation for frequent service needs, I'm in the "don't" category.

You can be sure that Bimmer drivers bash the hell out of Infiniti, Lexus, and every other make with equally valid points. Audi does the same to Bimmer and others. And so it goes until someone invents the perfect car.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The steering wheel is plastic? Really? It is wrapped in leather, and to my hands feel pretty darn good. I think some of you guys complain too much, if it's so bad why'd you even buy the car? The best thing about the infiniti is its value, they are a manufacturer eager to prove that they can compete with audi/bmw, so you get more for less at this point.

I think the G's interior is superior to the 335s. Leather is stiff and seats may as well not have any padding, the leather in the 335 feels like my old Tahoe's leather. Have any of you seen the 335's nav screen? It's so small its retarded (they might have changed it, only driven my cousin's '08 335).

The G's interior is ergonomic, functional, and illuminated beautifully. Just don't expect it to have a carbon fiber wheel wrapped in endangered baby giraffe leather with a Fuji logo made of solid diamond. It's a 40k car.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 PM
deutsch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=droogie;2925953] I think some of you guys complain too much, if it's so bad why'd you even buy the car? quote]

You are funny!! Why would someone not buy a car just because he/she does not like the steering wheel as much as the other components of the interior??? There are aftermarket options for anything. There is a huge thread about the "terrible Bose" system, suspension, exhaust, headlights, etc. and almost all other stuff that comes with the car. According to your logic, noone should have bought this car, who changes something on the car for improvement reasons! Ridiculous.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 AM
DMan928
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the OP's car a base model? That might be why he's complaining. I was given a base loaner this weekend, and the steering wheel was indeed made of plastic. My car has a very nice leather steering wheel, which is worlds above the base loaner I drove.

Edit: Never mind, I just rechecked his post, and it appears that he has Premium/Navi.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

Well if you look at the M, it has much better materials and interior than the 5 series with which it competes, while still beating it on specs. So I don't really buy the 'it costs less so it can't be as good' explanation.

A large part of BMW's price is the brand name. An A4 (or any Audi) costs less than a similarly equipped BMW and has a much better interior. For that matter even Acura uses higher quality leather and trim than the G.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 AM
G77

^+1 on that.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:47 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ExtraCrispy
Well if you look at the M, it has much better materials and interior than the 5 series with which it competes, while still beating it on specs. So I don't really buy the 'it costs less so it can't be as good' explanation.

A large part of BMW's price is the brand name. An A4 (or any Audi) costs less than a similarly equipped BMW and has a much better interior. For that matter even Acura uses higher quality leather and trim than the G.
I don't know about that. I love the new TL interior (exterior is fugly though), but have you noticed that the "aluminum" trim is really just painted plastic? At least the G uses real aluminum trim....
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
levin91e

Actually I really think the steering wheel is vinyl, It definitely isn't leather, look closely at the steering wheel. The stitching is fake, and if you look at the back of it I can see mold marks. Maybe it is just my G. I know all the advertising for the car says leather wrapped wheel but I don't think so, not on the 2008 G37s coupe anyway. I will take pictures of what I believe are mold marks if you all don't believe it.

Still I think the steering wheel is perfect, it feels great in my hands.

Originally Posted by droogie
The steering wheel is plastic? Really? It is wrapped in leather, and to my hands feel pretty darn good. I think some of you guys complain too much, if it's so bad why'd you even buy the car? The best thing about the infiniti is its value, they are a manufacturer eager to prove that they can compete with audi/bmw, so you get more for less at this point.

I think the G's interior is superior to the 335s. Leather is stiff and seats may as well not have any padding, the leather in the 335 feels like my old Tahoe's leather. Have any of you seen the 335's nav screen? It's so small its retarded (they might have changed it, only driven my cousin's '08 335).

The G's interior is ergonomic, functional, and illuminated beautifully. Just don't expect it to have a carbon fiber wheel wrapped in endangered baby giraffe leather with a Fuji logo made of solid diamond. It's a 40k car.