parking city lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
parking city lights

hey guys,
ive been reading the forums for a while... and i usually find my answers (hence why this is my first post)

ive decided to to change those really ugly yellow parking/city lights, whatever they're called, and ive come down to 2 products:
iJDMTOY JDM Xenon White/Ultra Blue 2W High Power T10 LED bulbs for parking city lights, side door lights, license plate lights, etc
or
JDM Xenon White 1.5W 3-Cell High Power T10 Wedge Light LED Bulbs w/ projector lens for W5W, 2825, 168, 194, etc
im just curious if anyone has had any experience with these and what they think about them, especially the latter. the "projector lens" sounds interesting but what are they supposed to do/look like?

also... i heard that they can be done with out popping the wheels (through the hood under the intake box? o.O) how easy/heard would it be for a engine-noob like me? granted that i use common sense and can remember where to put things back once i take them out. what tools would i need (rachet+size and what else?)
Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the VLED smt and I love it. Matches my 6K headlights really well.
Based on my experience, it is impossible to change the parking/city light without taking out going through the wheel well, which for me meant taking off the wheel.

Here is the bulb I used.
2 HID 6K WHITE SMT 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821 B/O
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You missed this in the DIY section https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...placement.html
Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Namir
I used the VLED smt and I love it. Matches my 6K headlights really well.
Based on my experience, it is impossible to change the parking/city light without taking out going through the wheel well, which for me meant taking off the wheel.

Here is the bulb I used.
2 HID 6K WHITE SMT 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821 B/O
i use those for my maplights, bottomdoorlights, and license plate lights. they're bomb, but isnt it kinda weak for parking/city lights?

Originally Posted by yogregb
nah, it totally saw it. but it says nothing about being about to do the switch without removing the tire
im just lazy and dont have a torque wrench.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jujubii
i use those for my maplights, bottomdoorlights, and license plate lights. they're bomb, but isnt it kinda weak for parking/city lights?
I don't know, you tell me. They aren't the "brightest" but I was just looking to get rid of the yellow, not illuminate anything.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
wtf... how the heck do yall reach them?!?!

I took off my wheels and tried reaching and pulling the led out but couldnt T_T
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you definitely DON'T need to take off the wheels...

just open the hood and if you look at them from the front you can guestimate where they will be on the other side.

the piece to unlock them is long with a plastic tab on it, almost like one side of a clothspin, just rotate it and pull it straight out
Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
you definitely DON'T need to take off the wheels...

just open the hood and if you look at them from the front you can guestimate where they will be on the other side.

the piece to unlock them is long with a plastic tab on it, almost like one side of a clothspin, just rotate it and pull it straight out
You must have small hands or something, I tried that and couldn't get my hand anywhere near where it needed to be, so I couldn't imagine being able to turn and pull it.

I'm jealous though, I have new parking lights, 32 SMT bright mutherfockers but I'm too lazy to jack the car up and go through the wheel well like I did the first time.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 AM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know, you tell me. They aren't the "brightest" but I was just looking to get rid of the yellow, not illuminate anything.

looks perfect to me!!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You must have small hands or something, I tried that and couldn't get my hand anywhere near where it needed to be, so I couldn't imagine being able to turn and pull it.
Agreed! Must have tiny hands man. I cut my hand trying that. Wheel well removal works best since you have lots of room.

Some of us have replaced the parking light bulb with an Orange/Amber bulb. This color matches the side maker light and turn signal light and gives it great contrast for headlights and looks good.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Agreed! Must have tiny hands man. I cut my hand trying that. Wheel well removal works best since you have lots of room.

Some of us have replaced the parking light bulb with an Orange/Amber bulb. This color matches the side maker light and turn signal light and gives it great contrast for headlights and looks good.
that sounds quite interesting... do you have any pics?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
i tried through the wheel well and still coudlnt...

Andone mind tellin me how they are going through the top also?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wanna keep my OEM headlight which is at 4300k, and just change the city lights
Then, What company Led, and what color should I get to color match with the OEM headlight the best?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 911turbo
i tried through the wheel well and still coudlnt...

Andone mind tellin me how they are going through the top also?
you can get them through the engine bay!

remove your filter box by unscrewing the 10mm bolt and loosen up the metal clamp then unplug the MAF sensor plug. then start pulling upward starting from the metal clamp side first. after that's out just pull straight up.
now that you got your intake box out you'll have to reach inside where the parking lights is at. it's really doable but it is a PITA and you will get parts of your hands scratched and maybe some minor cuts depending how big your hands are. Good Luck!

WARNING:
do not start your car without the intake box
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Jamler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Very Cool... I'd like to do that. I think the amber looks good on the black car

Quick Reply: parking city lights