Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 Sedan Headlight Amber Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Noremac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deutsch
Has anyone tried out the color changing switch back LED bulbs yet?
Yes, I currently have those installed. I give them mixed reviews, though. The white LEDs are great, relatively bright and look good. But the amber LEDs, which come on with the turn signal operation, are way too dim. In fact, they are substantially dimmer than the white LEDs. You can make them out in daylight, but they just are not adequately bright. So my plans are to switch them out with V-LED's high power 7-Watt amber (non-switchback) 7443 LEDs, and give up the white LED look when the turn signals aren't on. I just can't accept those dim amber LEDs.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
hufington

Originally Posted by Noremac
Yes, I currently have those installed. I give them mixed reviews, though. The white LEDs are great, relatively bright and look good. But the amber LEDs, which come on with the turn signal operation, are way too dim. In fact, they are substantially dimmer than the white LEDs. You can make them out in daylight, but they just are not adequately bright. So my plans are to switch them out with V-LED's high power 7-Watt amber (non-switchback) 7443 LEDs, and give up the white LED look when the turn signals aren't on. I just can't accept those dim amber LEDs.

Is it that bad? Do you have any pics. That would be nice because I was about to order and get those. TIA.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
peshs3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you might want to take pics and post cause i got the switchbacks that go from white to amber and they are pretty bright...you can see them from far as hell in the day time i have walked down the street to check cause i was worried bout it...call vleds they are pretty good with **** like that ...also there is one less row and one less forward facing led...so there is a difference....i have replaced every bulb in the car with leds except rear break light....cause the LEDs through a horrible pattern and were just so far off in color from the stock LEDs
Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
hufington

Originally Posted by peshs3
Hey you might want to take pics and post cause i got the switchbacks that go from white to amber and they are pretty bright...you can see them from far as hell in the day time i have walked down the street to check cause i was worried bout it...call vleds they are pretty good with **** like that ...also there is one less row and one less forward facing led...so there is a difference....i have replaced every bulb in the car with leds except rear break light....cause the LEDs through a horrible pattern and were just so far off in color from the stock LEDs
Wow, that sounds great. Do you have any pics? Any hyper-flashing when installed? Did you change the corner bulb (city light/park light/ whatever **** it is called) as well?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Noremac

Originally Posted by hufington
Is it that bad? Do you have any pics. That would be nice because I was about to order and get those. TIA.
I'll try to take a pic, but it's not that easy to capture the brightness/dimness. A video would be better.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Noremac

Originally Posted by hufington
Any hyper-flashing when installed?
You will get hyperflashing unless you install power resistors. I found that installing these is the hardest part of the job, mostly just finding a place to install them!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
hufington

I'll try to take a pic, but it's not that easy to capture the brightness/dimness. A video would be better.
Video even better. Agreed. lol.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Noremac

Originally Posted by peshs3
...i got the switchbacks that go from white to amber and they are pretty bright ...
Yeah, I should try to take a pic. I agree you can "see" the amber if I know to look directly at it. But DOT has brightness requirements for a reason. Turn signals should be very visible in bright light, in limited visibility conditions (rain), etc. The biggest indicator that the V-LED Switchbacks are inadequate is that the white LEDs are so much brighter than the amber ones. It's not even close, and that is exactly opposite of what a 7443 bulb is supposed to do.

Believe me, I love LEDs and have replaced almost everything on the car with them, but I also expect top performance from them. I don't want to have to strain my eyes to believe that they're actually working, and more importantly, that they're being seen by the other driver.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Noremac

OK, here are a couple of side-by-side shots in bright light. I have the parking lights on and the left (driver side) turn signal on. One pic has the amber LEDs lit up on the driver side, and the other pic has that bulb off. The passenger side bulb remains lit in white LED all the time - that's how the Switchback Type 2 bulb works. Admittedly, this is bright light, but notice that you can barely make out the amber bulb being on. Yes, you can see it! But how about that other driver who isn't paying too much attention? Or when visibility is bad.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Sedan Headlight Amber Bulbs-img_0367-ed-lr.jpg   2010 Sedan Headlight Amber Bulbs-img_0366-ed-lr.jpg  

Last edited by Noremac; 08-09-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Noremac

And here are two more side-by-side pics in shadow light. This time you can clearly see the amber LEDs, but notice how they are much dimmer than the white LEDs on the passenger side. That's backwards! In a 7443 bulb, the lower filament is supposed to be 5W, and the upper filament is 21W, or four times brighter! LEDs would be much lower rated wattage, but the ratio should be about the same. Unfortunately it's not the case with these Switchbacks.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Sedan Headlight Amber Bulbs-img_0385-ed-lr.jpg   2010 Sedan Headlight Amber Bulbs-img_0384-ed-lr.jpg  

Last edited by Noremac; 08-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
hufington

OK, here are a couple of side-by-side shots in bright light. I have the parking lights on and the left (driver side) turn signal on. One pic has the amber LEDs lit up on the driver side, and the other pic has that bulb off. The passenger side bulb remains lit in white LED all the time - that's how the Switchback Type 2 bulb works. Admittedly, this is bright light, but notice that you can barely make out the amber bulb being on. Yes, you can see it! But how about that other driver who isn't paying too much attention? Or when visibility is bad.
I like the fact that it is white instead of amber but you're right, the amber is not bright enough when you signal, especially during bright sunny days. I love how it looks in the shadow though. Unless you have lenses in front of the LEDs they don't put out too much usable light. Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
deutsch

I ordered my switchbacks today. I will install them together with the 6K HID kit for the fogs. I will be keeping the sidemarker light at the corner amber though so that there is one amber light which is a requirement, I guess.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
maxfinity

I installed the LED switch back bulbs but i didnt buy them from v-leds. I had a previous experience with them so I decided to go with the ones from autolumination, And unlike the Switch Backs mentioned above when my lights are on and I turn on the turn signal the led alternates between white and amber. Also my turn signal bulbs don't seem to be as dim as the bulbls in the picure above. Either way, these lights look sick at night. I love them and and I get lots of compliments. I also recommend changing the tag lights to Led as well. Gives the car a more luxurious look. Here are some pics. Dont have any of the amber but ill take some later and post.

Name:  Photo0447.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  115.8 KB
Name:  Photo0446.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  117.9 KB
Name:  Photo0448.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  145.0 KB

Last edited by maxfinity; 09-14-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
deutsch

Originally Posted by maxfinity
I installed the LED switch back bulbs but i didnt buy them from v-leds. I had a previous experience with them so I decided to go with the ones from auto illumination. And unlike the Switch Backs mentioned above when my lights are on and I turn on the turn signal the led alternates between white and amber. Also my turn signal bulbs don't seem to be as dim as the bulbls in the picure above. Either way, these lights look sick at night. I love them and and I get lots of compliments. I also recommend changing the tag lights to Led as well. Gives the car a more luxurious look. Here are some pics. Dont have any of the amber but ill take some later and post.

Did you get the 60 LED or 48 LED ones? I ordered the 7443 60LED Amber Off ones, I hope it fits.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
maxfinity

I ordered the 60 led a/w. Yes they fit. Just be careful not to damage the bulb when inserting.

Quick Reply: 2010 Sedan Headlight Amber Bulbs