Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

What type of window tint and where to get tint in Tri-state area

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Tony'sG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of window tint and where to get tint in Tri-state area

I plan to get my 4 windows and back window tinted at 35% on my 2009 g37x and have done a lot of research, but have gotten mixed reviews and just want to clarify some things. First, I have heard that window tint can interfere with AM/FM radio and radar, is this true? If so, is there tint product I can buy that will avoid this? Also, I live near Lorenzo's which is known for good quality installation and they use solarguard and I was curious if this is a good product. If not, what product should I get, 3m, etc? Finally, I live in Scarsdale, NY and was curious if there are any places people would recommend within an hour of here and the price you paid to get your windows tinted. Thanks, I have checke the threads, but none of the threads truly addressed these issues fully so I thought I'd try starting my own. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM
ChOy BoY

no i've never heard of tints interfering with the radio.

we have a good reliable place in NYC on g35nyc.com as a vendor for tinting

Jack Taravella Tinting
(718) 848-8502
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Radar?

Seriously though, that may very well just be a myth. I've also heard that it can interfere with gps and sat-radio which makes even less sense because the antenna is located outside of the car and where the tints would be. So is the FM/AM antennas for that matter. I've heard also that metal-based tints are more likely to interfere than ceramic.

Even I've seen places that go so far as to guarantee that a certain brand of tint will not interfere with your satnav, etc. I think some people have reported problems with a aftermarket garmin which is self-contained inside the car (i.e. no external antenna).

So who knows... As far as Solar Gard (I'm getting that brand installed tomorrow -- the place says they use their "Supreme" model), I found this at their web site:

Question 3

What films do you offer for autos that are electronic friendly?

Answer

The Solar Gard Supreme and Ultra Performance automotive window films are Satellite, GPS, TPM & cellular friendly. Both of these product lines are available in different shades and offer excellent UV protection.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Tony'sG37

Thank you, thinking of getting a clear bra also done.