Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

So now I know what they mean by "soft paint".

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Sal123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So now I know what they mean by "soft paint".

I took a cardboard box out of my trunk, and it was bulky so I couldn't hold it with one hand. Lazy b*stard that I am, rather than put it down, close the trunk and pick it back up, I used the box to close the trunk. I didn't think anything of it until yesterday when I walked out of work and noticed the light scratches on the trunk lid! They're very light and will probably come right out with some scratch-X, but damn! That is soft!

Just a rant... carry on with your day.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
ohsogood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal123
I took a cardboard box out of my trunk, and it was bulky so I couldn't hold it with one hand. Lazy b*stard that I am, rather than put it down, close the trunk and pick it back up, I used the box to close the trunk. I didn't think anything of it until yesterday when I walked out of work and noticed the light scratches on the trunk lid! They're very light and will probably come right out with some scratch-X, but damn! That is soft!

Just a rant... carry on with your day.
Mine is even dumber.. I was placing bags of compost in the trunk and I did something similiar and laid the bag on the edge of the bumper while opening the trunk. It left scratches all on top of the bumper!
Lesson - Don't even dare lean on the car cuz anything including your jeans will ruin the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Alt G

As I have said before, they should just wrap the whole car in "clear bra" material when it get to the end of the assembly line. Then we would not have to worry. Impractical of course. But, I too, am tired of paying 40k for cars that have paint that is so easily chipped, scratched and marred. Solution? Next time I'm shopping for a cheap car to go along with the cheap paint! LOL
Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
XsG

If the scratches are very light, they should disappear after a while thanks to the "scratch shield" paint. Check again in a week or two.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Creepers

^ scratch shield paint is a 2009 thang. not sure if these guys have that model year.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
even if you don't have the "self-healing" paint you can get some good product and get all those swirls/scratches out
Old 04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Hayabusa02

3 weeks and I already have a big ding in the front bumper from a rock on the highway. Gotta love New England sand trucks and street sweepers! I was shocked how deep and large the ding was... Took me almost 2 years in my previous German cars to get anything this bad.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I have at least 30 chips on my hood in 6 months. I love the car but HATE the paint, by far the worst paint (along w/ my 07 G35) that I've ever seen
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
tell me bout it, and i have a black car
infiniti fix the damn paint please
ive seen 10 yr old German cars with far better paint.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:33 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The new water-based paints are great for the environment, but terrible on the pocket book or ego...they are all like this now, from I understand.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
The new water-based paints are great for the environment, but terrible on the pocket book or ego...they are all like this now, from I understand.
My wifes' 06 Hyundai has twice the miles that our 07 had and no significant chips, our 07 probably had about 40, and like I said our 09 has about 30, even a nice big chip on the roof
I know the low VOC standards have a big effect, but Infiniti is still the worst I've seen as far as being chip prone, and it's not even close.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Kwang

I have a dumb experience as well... I tried juggling things out of the trunk while holding a whole container full of coolant and wham! I actually hit the car twice -- the second time was from inspecting the first scratch while still holding the container.
Dumb, I agree. lol
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
My wifes' 06 Hyundai has twice the miles that our 07 had and no significant chips, our 07 probably had about 40, and like I said our 09 has about 30, even a nice big chip on the roof
I know the low VOC standards have a big effect, but Infiniti is still the worst I've seen as far as being chip prone, and it's not even close.
Oh no, my Australian-painted G8 GT was just about the same, if not worse. Paint would just flake off some of those cars for no reason. Really, really, thin paint.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Sal123

Originally Posted by XsG
If the scratches are very light, they should disappear after a while thanks to the "scratch shield" paint. Check again in a week or two.
Originally Posted by Creepers
^ scratch shield paint is a 2009 thang. not sure if these guys have that model year.
Exactly. 2010. No magic paint. But, maybe magic leather! Another blunder of mine was putting the baby car seat in for a day. There was a really bad dent and wrinkles left in the headrest. I was planning on trying the hair dryer trick when I got out of work, but when I went out for lunch it was almost completely gone! Fortunately I had parked in a pretty sunny spot and the car was Africa hot when I got in. It worked even better than the hair dryer would have.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM
tomimbler

Soft Paint

My second infiniti, and can assure you that the paint is MUCH softer and prone to scratches than my Audi S4---night and day comparison. And I am finding it much tougher to get rid of the swirls on the G37, use the Zaino line of products that worked like a charm on the Audi (both black cars).

Quick Reply: So now I know what they mean by "soft paint".