Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Review Headlight / Parking / City Light / Turn Signals Bulbs Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Headlight / Parking / City Light / Turn Signals Bulbs Review

I figured since there are like 500 parking light city light bulb headlight sidemarker threads it might be good to have a reference thread with what bulbs people are using with pictures.

Headlights: HPA 6k

Foglights : Stock (I only use them when its really foggy or dark outside and I need the light output)

City Bulbs: ijdm toy LEDs with heatshields - about 5k in color.
iJDMTOY JDM Xenon White/Ultra Blue High Power T10 LED bulbs for parking city lights, side door lights, license plate lights, etc

Turn Signals: Silver Stealth Titanium Chrome Vision from autolumination - appear chrome to match headlights, but blink amber for legality.

Sidemarkers: Empty. Bulbs are removed because I had my sidemarkers painted black.

Review:

So over the past year I have been trying different parking/city bulbs to find something that matched perfectly with my 6k HIDs.

When I had Igor do my sidemarkers, I put in the 6k HPA HIDs.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...ight-mods.html

I also put in the Silver Stealth Titanium Chrome Vision turn signal bulbs from autolumination. They are fantastic! They appear chrome, and match the headlight housing perfectly, but when you turn them on, they blink amber. Therefore, i have none of that ugly yellow in my headlight housing but when I need to turn, they blink amber. If you are doing your headlights to get rid of the ugly amber sidemarkers, these are a must change!

The first bulb I tried out was the inverted LED lense from autolumination. I liked the idea that it emitted light out of the sides of the bulb. On my mazda, it gave a nice halo effect and looked kinda like the BMW angel eyes.

On the G37, not so much. Since its just one small LED, it doesnt emit much light at all. Its only really useable for about 30 minutes a day. Right when its dark enough to be seen, but not dark enough when you need your headlights. Not worth the 2.49 each.

The next bulb I tried was the Supernova in superwhite from autolumination. These bulbs were 5.99 each and emitted a color which was probably a good match for 5000k HIDs. The color was close enough and it was a strong single beam forward. It was useable and visible at dusk and during the day when the sun wasnt very strong. Because it had a heat shield, I was expecting this to last for awhile and tolerate the heat from the HIDs. Looked like a winner. 3 months later, one bulb died. So I figured I'd try a different route.

So the next bulb I tried were the 194 Super White Xenon bulbs. These werent LEDs, so they should last longer in the housing. Since they were only 1.49 each, I bought 4. They are a frosted blue color and look pretty cool. I put 2 of the bulbs in, pulled my car in the garage and turned them on and WTF, they were different colors! One was emitting like a 6000k nice blue hue, and the other was the stock yellow-white color. Crap. So I switched the yellow-white one out, turned it on, and it was white, it still didnt match, so I switched that one out, and WTF, it was a DARKER blue than the one in the car. So right now, I have 4 super white xenon bulbs which all emit a slightly different color. There goes 6 bucks + shipping.

So I gave up no non-leds so I tried the Ijdm toys LEDs with heat shields. Got em, installed them, and they both are the same color, but emit more of a 5500k color, which is close enough for me to match my 6k hids. Also, the light output is pretty bright enough to be seen during the day. The bulbs are very similar to the supernovas from autolumination with the heat shield, only I hope these last for more than 3 months!

So, what are you guys using? What color are the bulbs? Do they match your headlights? Are you happy with the light output? Would you reccommend them?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting this. Great detailed write up. Got any pics? Especially of the parking lights.

I bought my G when it first came out and replaced a bunch of the lights around the same time. Ordered from superbrightleds.com or something. People said the bulbs wouldn't last and would flicker and die. Well, one of my license plate lights has been flickering now and one of the parking lights finally died. Pretty good i think for 2 years of use for those cheap lights!

I'm gonna do a lil more research and order some replacment lights. I've had good experience with the PIAA extreme white lights in the past, but want something that matches the HIDs now.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...also, i have gotten many complements on the lights that go in the bottom of the door. i replaced these with some blue 5-led bulb from superbright. everytime my doors are opened at night, the blue lights are sure to be noticed.

i'm going to try and replace the glovebox light soon when i go to replace the cabin air filter