Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

TS Lip.. Who to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
PolyU will be the only think i would ever let touch my car. polyU will be 100% fitment even if not mold as the body shop can heat it a lil and make it fit perfect. Since you are molding it will not make any difference... I have had a full FiberGlass Bodykit before and I will never do it again... Unless my car was a Show car that was driven less than 100 miles a yr.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Go authentic or go home.

Supporting knock-offs is a great way to force the vendor to stay out of the market.

And you guys wonder why there are no Zele kits in the states...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
PolyU will be the only think i would ever let touch my car. polyU will be 100% fitment even if not mold as the body shop can heat it a lil and make it fit perfect. Since you are molding it will not make any difference... I have had a full FiberGlass Bodykit before and I will never do it again... Unless my car was a Show car that was driven less than 100 miles a yr.
Very good point, Ben! The AIT is fiberglass.

How is molding done? Is it not through fiberglass?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Mike makes a great point IMO. I'm not one of those that believes everything on your car needs to be high dollar super exclusive JDM stuff. If you can find a domestic made part that works well and looks good and costs tons less, I say go for it. But I can't agree with buying a cheapo copy of someone else's hard work. If it's original that's something different. The quality might not be the same obviously, but at least it's someone's own design and not an illegal knockoff of a JDM part.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike
Go authentic or go home.

Supporting knock-offs is a great way to force the vendor to stay out of the market.

And you guys wonder why there are no Zele kits in the states...
Typically I would agree, but they they need to realize that it is their prices that are forcing them out of the market. Their product does not bring anything special or different from most knockoffs.

No more discussion of this in the thread, please. If you would like to debate knockoff, I'm more than happy to discuss separately.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Ive got Igors lip and it fits pretty well. The body shop I took it to wasnt very good. Im taking it to a better shop in the spring. Id like to get mine molded also but my car is a daily and Ive heard you can have some cracking with getting it molded. It may just be that we have horriable roads here in Ohio that make it crack. I like the idea f polly on the front of the car since there is alot more chance of something comming in contact with it. The sides and rear in FG might be ok.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

^ Thanks Buckeye. Good point about sides and rear.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't get Fiberglass BJ! Especially with a lowered car just one big nightmare awaiting. Been there done that on my last car and a rock the size of a quarter destroyed my front end. I admit I have a roof spoiler made of fiberglass but that will never get damaged up there.

If its not polyurethane I wont buy it!

PS: I'd like to see a molded TS lip on a G! or actually I can do the PhotoShop But Id like to see a real pic.

Last edited by Xcalibur; 01-27-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Don't get Fiberglass BJ! Especially with a lowered car just one big nightmare awaiting. Been there done that on my last car and a rock the size of a quarter destroyed my front end. I admit I have a roof spoiler made of fiberglass but that will never get damaged up there.

PS: I'd like to see a molded TS lip on a G! or actually I can do the PhotoShop But Id like to see a real pic.

Soli has his molded. I belive 180 did it for him to. I think he said they charged him like $400 for paint and molding. If they did that sounds pretty good because my guy charged $300 just to paint and install and Im not real happy with the job and Ive been back and he said that is the best he can do. He said its the lip but Ive talked one of my dads friends who do some high end phantoms and stuff and he said he could do it so Im gonna have him rip off my vinyl roof paint that and the lip and refit it.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out solisimo's car..And i think gamedog..
Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Yeah based on what I've researched, no fiberglass for me. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

A few people have molded the TS lip in. Just take a look.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My bad I meant JP Vizage lip!

Yeah I've seen Solisimos in person and whoever molded it did a fantastic job! It looks like he bought the whole front end like that. I couldnt see any hi spots or low spots body contour wise... very well done.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Since the topic has come up often.. the pros and cons of fiberglass and poly.

Poly
Pros
Easy to work with
"Flexible" and less prone to chipping/cracking/shattering
Generally cheaper
Cons
Heavier
Difficult to paint well and/or to get painted properly
Flexes at highway speeds, compromising aero/stability

Fiberglass
Pros
Lightweight
Easy to paint (Almost anyone can paint it decently)
More functional (Does not flex much at highway speeds)
Much easier to repair
Cons
Generally more expensive (due to authentic parts being mostly Fiberglass)
"brittle"
Low quality/replica parts are often made with cheap construction, leading to a bad rep from being heavy and easily getting damaged

CF has much more in common with FRP than Poly.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

^ Cool.. Good to know, Mike.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
While the con of flexing of Poly is true, it's a non issue for this lip. It's affixed rigidly to the front bumper... which is also Poly.

Quick Reply: TS Lip.. Who to go with?