Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Your Tint Percentages..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
samrwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jarena2104
im a window tinter i own a shop in west babylon ny.... the percentage laws are complete bull****, considering nys tint law is 74% which is practically clear. i have 5% all around with nano 20% on the windsheild, cool thing about this film is that it gets lighter at night to 50% and then returns to dark 20% when the sun is out. really cool stuff. but exspensive. here is a couple pics
I like it, I'll have to check out that film.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
jarena2104

its a nano film, if you go with a high quality film you can see out of it like its not even on there.... ill take a pic tomorrow of looking out of it from inside the car. its clear the only factor is that you dont have to wear sunglasses or squint when the sun is in your eyes.

look into solar guard quantum films, find a shop that carries it or suntek carbon films and make sure your getting a written warranty with serial #'s from the film rolls they are using. so you know your getting what you pay for. i will say a job like mine with the film im using will run you about $275 installed!

good luck with whatever you choose and no matter your age its about cool comfort looks and feel.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
ThatsGman

Originally Posted by jarena2104
its a nano film, if you go with a high quality film you can see out of it like its not even on there.... ill take a pic tomorrow of looking out of it from inside the car. its clear the only factor is that you dont have to wear sunglasses or squint when the sun is in your eyes.

look into solar guard quantum films, find a shop that carries it or suntek carbon films and make sure your getting a written warranty with serial #'s from the film rolls they are using. so you know your getting what you pay for. i will say a job like mine with the film im using will run you about $275 installed!

good luck with whatever you choose and no matter your age its about cool comfort looks and feel.

think i saw your car saturday on hempstead tnpk .... if it was yours that tint looks madd dark idk how you dont get pulled over. Car looks hot though
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
That tint sounds awesome...but 20% on your windshield during the day though? I hate to pull my age(and I'm not even old...just older than most of you) and sound like the old fart on this site, but that along with 5% around just doens't sound safe to me.
Don’t be afraid to pull your age. I’m 73 and proud to offer a more mature viewpoint, even though it is not always welcome.

I’m convinced that if a formal study was made it would show that the desire to tint windshields to dangerous and irrational levels is inversely proportional to one’s age. For example, some 18 year olds may like 18%, and by the time you reach 70, you will prefer a safe 70%.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
jarena2104

i tend to disagree, many of my customers are well over 50 yrs old and they often come to me for dark tint that there eye doctor recommeded, i also install window tint for people with skin cancer or recovering from skin cancer. the visibility is absolutely perfect seeing out. just because you cant see in doesnt mean i cant see you perfectly looking out. in fact i often find myself driving much safer come sundown or sunrise when people are slamming on there brakes every 2 feet cause they cant see from glare i can see no problem. again the higher quality paper the better visibility. just make sure its a non dyed film. you want a carbon based or metallic based. but be warned metallic paper might interfere with xm and cell reception so i recommend spend the extra buck and get a carbon based 2 ply film. i have been in the business for 10 years im an expert on the subject.

and yes that was me on hempstead turnpilke!!!! cops pull me over to ask me when they can get an apt. lmfao!!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
ThatsGman

Damn man i shoulda came to your shop i wish i knew! I was actually on my way to pick my car up because it needed to be re-tinted from the crappy job they did the first time. Where is your shop my brother is looking to get tints for his new car ill send him your way.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
mike139usa

In NJ, you cannot have tint on the front side windows, which sucks! But on the back and side backs, you can put any percentage. Has anyone only tinted the back and side backs and if so, how does it look?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I am getting tint tomorrow; 3M film 35% on the 4 doors and 20% on the rear window so everything is legal.
Price was $169 and quoted about 3 to 4 hours.
A neighbor has 20% and 5% on his white Accord and my wife thought it was too dark.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
just a quick thought: are you guys all getting non-metallic tints? i had problems with accuracy on my previous car's navigation system (2005 TL). for that reason, i went with 18% carbon, non-metallic tints all around + 40% llumar in the front (not for everyone).

are the nissan antennas not on the rear glass?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mike139usa
In NJ, you cannot have tint on the front side windows, which sucks! But on the back and side backs, you can put any percentage. Has anyone only tinted the back and side backs and if so, how does it look?
im in NJ and have only my back and side backs done. i have 20% on the back window, and 5% on the side backs. thought to go 5% just because i could legally, and also since i dont use them very much since they dont really help in seeing my blindspot. got 20% on the back window so i could still see out at night, its not too dark but looks good IMO. ill take some pictures either tonight, or tomorrow morning and post them up if you'd like to see what they look like.

on a side note, has anyone seen in person the variable tint? ive seen youtube videos and someone with a g35 coupe has it on his windows. its pretty neat stuff, one click of a button and its virtually clear, and press it again and its tinted as dark as you want. would really be nice for people in state's like NJ where youre not allowed any % of tint on front windows
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
mike139usa

Originally Posted by mystakin
im in NJ and have only my back and side backs done. i have 20% on the back window, and 5% on the side backs. thought to go 5% just because i could legally, and also since i dont use them very much since they dont really help in seeing my blindspot. got 20% on the back window so i could still see out at night, its not too dark but looks good IMO. ill take some pictures either tonight, or tomorrow morning and post them up if you'd like to see what they look like.

on a side note, has anyone seen in person the variable tint? ive seen youtube videos and someone with a g35 coupe has it on his windows. its pretty neat stuff, one click of a button and its virtually clear, and press it again and its tinted as dark as you want. would really be nice for people in state's like NJ where youre not allowed any % of tint on front windows
Stakin...

thanks for the reply. I would certainly appreciate some pictures, so yes, if you could post some pictures, that would be great!

THANKS!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
^^^yeah its like an electro magnetic tint?! weeeeeeeeird but you can't even see through it from the inside. Its more like a fog
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

here ya go mike139usa, if you want any specific angles let me know. tried to get some showing both direct view into the window and side angles.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
California says NO tint on side front windows.

I found that 35% is borderline cop bait.
Anything darker get you checked out.
The want to be able to see if that's a MAC10 in your hands.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
mike139usa

thanks so much for posting the pix. Car looks great! The only thing I'm afraid of is I have the sedan and the rear/front windows are bigger but I certainly think you have encouraged me to get tint via the NJ law. lol

I know you posted the % of tint on each window, but what type of tint do you have and are you satisfied? Thanks again!!!!!

Quick Reply: Your Tint Percentages..