Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Why choose 180°|Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
JMacsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy fix...just send your lights to them, I'm sure if you preorder it'll be a quick turnaround.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Not so easy actually, can't drive around without headlights
Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 PM
JMacsG37

True, that why i drove up to Igor...but it says "its her car" so for a week he should be able to give her a ride, right? the looks are worth the ache

Last edited by JMacsG37; 12-19-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:32 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes if you let us know a few days before you ship them and shell out the money for overnight like many customers have, you could have your lights back in just a couple days.

And its perfectly fine to drive around without headlights during the day.

Last edited by STOOF; 12-21-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
We got four cars between the two of us and with two feet of snow on the ground, the G isn't leaving the garage. Maybe now would be a good time to do the headlights.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why 180 customs? Here's why.

For a long time I decided to hold my breath on making a thread exactly like this one. But since someone else felt that it's necessary. In all fairness, I will also chime in.

It was first brought to me attention on the 370z forum
http://www.the370z.com/exterior-interior/12049-why-180-custom.html#post312503
that Limited Edition was mentioned, as well as a handful of other companies. Surprised that all those names were left out in this thread for myg37. Why were they left out? You be the judge......

It was alleged that no one else but 180 used Piranha LEDs for their headlights and that 180 seemed like the one and only fore front of headlight modification with these special Piranha LEDs. Don't get me wrong, I love the Piranhas but they have been around for a while. This is not news to anyone. MR works had to reply on the z forum to clear things up.

Another news flash, Limited Edition has used Piranhas LEDs but decided to discontinue using it. Of course, you didn't know this, therefore you assumed. But by making that assumption public, you're preying on unsuspecting members against those companies, including Limited Edition. Now that's not playing nice.

It was emphasized more than once that 180's works are all original. If that's the case, then I believe the only thing available from 180 would be Ironman. But why is the side LED strip for the G and the landing strip for the 370Z still being advertised (on different forums too)? Could it be that 180 is still making those "original" mods? So here's one of the fundamental differences. Other companies won't label themselves as original if they are still willing to sell designs from others.

I've seen many and have also received even more requests to accept opportunities that 180 failed to reply to. It's not news to people that often potential customers don't receive timely replies (check z forum comments too). So is that another differences that we're talking about here? I have been asked to work on lights that was modified by 180 customs for reasons I'd like to keep private for now. Why didn't he just send it back to 180 and have it redone? One thing is for sure, he chose to seek out out other companies instead.

Before you find out the biggest difference between 180 and other companies. Here's a little background. When things first started, the self-proclaimed headlight master to my surprise had 0 knowledge of wiring, LEDs, and electrical stuff. He sent me a number of PMs asking for help on things and wanted to exchange info. I was all for it but as soon as I asked about what he was using, I was left in the cold. I didn't mind it too much but just though that you have to give to take. The only advice I gave is that, be very sure you know what you're doing before taking customer's money.

Back to the LEDs, sure Piranhas are brighter, but how much power are you drawing from the battery? Did you ever think that it may have been deliberate why Piranha wasn't used by a company? Faulty battery is already a common problem for the Infiniti Gs. I would not want any LEDs to affect the car's electrical and definitely know everything that is going on before I start making money off it. Also ask yourself these questions: Do you know whether you're operating within the safety range by added that 20 Piranha LEDs? I am assuming the answer is no. Do you know how much current and how much stress you'd be causing? I'm assuming the answer is no. Maybe you didn't go far enough to investigate because the product looked good and that was enough.

Please think twice before making a "let's point out the differences" thread but purposely leave out the company name calling. Because we can talk about this all day.

1 thing that I hope everyone is very careful of and also the reason why I personally don't believe LEDs should be too bright on the road. Call me old-fashioned, but let's say Joe has super bright LEDs in his new headlights. It inadvertantly and momentarily blinds an on-coming driver, casusing an accident. Joe is a huge fan of the company that worked on his new mod. But when the police investigated the incident, it was concluded that the cause was the aftermarket headlights. Now the issue becomes safety of life, liability, and possible law suit against the company that did the work. I don't think that's worth a few bucks or some pretty LEDs.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 01-11-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: this is exciting
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 AM
goomba

From this thread...
Originally Posted by Igor@180Custom
blah blah blah..

LIGHTING - LED's
The LED used in our headlights are full automotive style LED's, same ones that Audi and MB uses in their headlights, they're called piranha LED's. Other companies like ClearCorners.com, CiNcity designs, MR Works, and a few others use standard 5mm LED's that are usually found in house hold electronics and kitchen appliances. Why? Maybe because they're easier to work with and look clean? But other than that, the headlights I've repaired so far which used 5mm LED's have had all blown out LED's, or they flickered. We used to use 5mm flat top LED's when we first started doing LED jobs, but soon after we realized that they were not reliable, we ditched the idea... which is when we started offering piranha LED's on Iron-Mans and other LED mods.

blah blah..
From THE370Z.com
Originally Posted by Igor@180Custom
LIGHTING - LED's
The LED used in our headlights are full automotive style LED's, same ones that Audi and MB uses in their headlights, they're called piranha LED's. Other companies like ClearCorners.com, CiNcity designs, Limited Edition and MR Works use standard 5mm LED's that are usually found in house hold electronics and kitchen appliances. Why? Maybe because they're easier to work with and look clean? But other than that, the headlights I've repaired so far which used 5mm LED's have had all blown out LED's, or flicker. We used 5mm flat top LED's when we first started doing LED jobs, but soon after we realized that they were not reliable, we ditched the idea... which is when we started offering piranha LED's on Iron-Mans and other LED mods.
Just wow... you had the audacity to call out a competing vendor from this forum on another forum and even mention them by name.. then on here you don't have the guts to do the same? Also... learn how to post pics that work.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 AM
purebullet417

Originally Posted by goomba
From this thread...

From THE370Z.com

Just wow... you had the audacity to call out a competing vendor from this forum on another forum and even mention them by name.. then on here you don't have the guts to do the same? Also... learn how to post pics that work.
wow relax with the attacks. i think his pictures are down because he went over his photobucket bandwith but is upgrading to pro.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
this is why it's not a good idea to make a "why you should choose me over other vendors" thread. let the work speak for itself and people make up their minds about what they want.

none of the other guys that work on the lights have made a thread SOLELY about why we should choose their stuff b/c their work is the biggest statement of all
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM
BocaIvan

I know this site doesn't allow memebers to bash vendors.

Do they allow vendors to bash other vendors? I think what 180 is doing is pure BS and should be addressed by the mods or admins!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that pricing from vendors is way to high and they really don't put out any different of a products. I think if pricing was more comparable then it would be fair game. I don't think bashing other vendors is a good business idea. That shouldn't a way to create more business for yourself. Like hispeed-lowdrag said just let your work do the talking. 180 you could be a little more price competitive and I think you would get more business. Just my .02.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
BocaIvan

I think vendors that bash other vendors should be banned just like members that bash vendors do. It would only be fair.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried to stay factual and would like to keep this open because it was a vendor that started the thread. If there's a need to close it, I'd feel like then vendors can say whatever they want because as soon as negative comments come in, it'll get shut down and vendor will be protected.

If any mod or admin feel like anything I have said in my post is bashful, please let me know and I will edit it asap.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I tried to stay factual and would like to keep this open because it was a vendor that started the thread. If there's a need to close it, I'd feel like then vendors can say whatever they want because as soon as negative comments come in, it'll get shut down and vendor will be protected.

If any mod or admin feel like anything I have said in my post is bashful, please let me know and I will edit it asap.
I just think you were being truthful and the things that were said may be a good thing for everyone just to know that the playing field is even. Knowing everything is out in the open helps everyone. There have been many ppl lately get banned for bashing and things should be fair for everyone.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Apart from the original post bashing other vendors and competitor's products/work, I don't see any other bashing being made.

Thanks to Ucla Bruin for keeping it factual and professional.

Quick Reply: Why choose 180°|Custom?