Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Clearence lamp / City bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
kcobbusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearence lamp / City bulb

I've noticed that a lot of members refer to the clearance light as city light on the G37 Coup. I have a question as it relates to this bulb which I understand is a wedge bulb W5W type. Is this the bulb the is housed in the cone shaped shroud? If so, can this bulb be lit without the hids of fog lamps lit? I have tried every combination on the light switch and cannot gets this lamp to light without the H1 fogs or hids being lit. Thanks for any response
Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it can be lit w/o any of the other lights being turned on. And yes, it is right under the fog lights. The fog reflector is your "cone shaped shroud"

It's the 2nd click of the lights (right after 'auto'), the one that looks like >o<. That will turn on your city lights, side markers, tail and license plate lights as well as the instrument lights. Page 2-31 of the owners manual
Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
kcobbusa

Thanks, I checked the manual as well, and it advises the same as you. When I select >< switch the fogs come on only. Think I'll swing by the dealer to see if I have a malfunction, or what I'm missing.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Make sure the fogs are set to off...the inside selector switch on the turn signal arm.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
kcobbusa

Yep, fog switch is in the off position and the >< is selected, and I got nothing. Dang it
Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

huh that is VERY odd...I even double checked myself today and putting the switch on just >< with fogs off makes only the city lights come on...check the fuse box. you might have one out
Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
kcobbusa

Okay, figured it out, that was my bad. I had no idea the fogs were positioned above the city lights. Now to get the fogs working independent of the rest of the lamps, can't seem to get this to work. Any ideas, like rolling at dawn with only the fogs on.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
BocaIvan

Originally Posted by kcobbusa
Okay, figured it out, that was my bad. I had no idea the fogs were positioned above the city lights. Now to get the fogs working independent of the rest of the lamps, can't seem to get this to work. Any ideas, like rolling at dawn with only the fogs on.
I am 99% sure you cannot turn on the fogs without turning on the city lights. Unless you wire some sort of switch to them.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM
kcobbusa

That's what I was afraid of
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

yeah as is, the fogs WILL NOT turn on unless the HID headlights are on. you can have city, city and HID, or city, HID, and fogs.

If you want to run ONLY fogs, you would have to get in and do some funky wiring and that would make me waaaaay too nervous to be worth the benefit.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
yeah as is, the fogs WILL NOT turn on unless the HID headlights are on. you can have city, city and HID, or city, HID, and fogs.

If you want to run ONLY fogs, you would have to get in and do some funky wiring and that would make me waaaaay too nervous to be worth the benefit.
I'm not 100% sure this is correct as the fog light is wired as the Daytime Running Light (DRL) on Canadian models, which can be done as a mod on US vehicles (I did this). My fogs come on when the car is started and with the headlights off - I just went and confirmed this; the city bulb is off, fog is on, headlight is off. When the headlight comes on, the fog goes off unless I force it back on with the switch on the column.

The mod cost me $3, 2 hours, and 3 knuckles....
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
I'm not 100% sure this is correct as the fog light is wired as the Daytime Running Light (DRL) on Canadian models, which can be done as a mod on US vehicles (I did this). My fogs come on when the car is started and with the headlights off - I just went and confirmed this; the city bulb is off, fog is on, headlight is off. When the headlight comes on, the fog goes off unless I force it back on with the switch on the column.

The mod cost me $3, 2 hours, and 3 knuckles....
No way! Thanks for the correction Mid-Life I just figured the wiring would be too rediculous to be worth it, but if you've already done it then I guess we have our answer! Any chance of a DIY for this mod?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
No way! Thanks for the correction Mid-Life I just figured the wiring would be too rediculous to be worth it, but if you've already done it then I guess we have our answer! Any chance of a DIY for this mod?
Already done:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ng-lights.html

Update: I just reviewed the post on the G35 website that I followed and the pictures are no longer in the post. However, a search for DRL or Daytime Running Lights should bring a lot of information. I think KPTechnologies also have a module that works.

Last edited by Mid-Life Crisis; 12-10-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

haha thanks for making up for my apparent inability to use the search button
Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
kcobbusa

Mid life, thanks for showing the way on running fogs alone. I don't have the cojones to start splicing and dicing wires though