Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 AM
jhoffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting

I wanted to get some opinion on window tinting for my new G. First off I'm trying to decide between ceramic and metallic tinting. Secondly, I'm trying to decide how dark to go. Any opinion on either matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 AM
swordsman54

Well what state do you live in? I know that here in Virginia they will give you a lot of hassle if your tint is too dark. So I would only recommend between 20 and 35 as the lowest to go.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jhoffman
I wanted to get some opinion on window tinting for my new G. First off I'm trying to decide between ceramic and metallic tinting. Secondly, I'm trying to decide how dark to go. Any opinion on either matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
How dark is strictly a matter of your personal preference and the local laws if you intend to follow them. Mine is 20% all around. I can't comment on metallic or ceramic because mine is neither. Why do you want those types?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 AM
beast808

go with the charcoal grey color tint. it looks nice.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 AM
jasonviper

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jhoffman

Thanks.
Well Metallic messed with my Sat connection in my Lexus so I switched to ceramic but than I thought thats wasnt dark enough it does block more heat from entering the car with lighter colored films! At the end tho I went with charcoal 5% (limo tint) for my G and I couldnt be happier I love it!!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
js3350z

I am not a fan of ceramic or metallic tints, I don't like how it gives a different color, on one hand the metallic films seem a little darker with the same claimed percentage because they reflect your surroundings a little better... and as far as how dark, it comes down to how much hassle you want to put up with from the police, and how comfortable you are with not being able to see out of your car at night...

That being said, I have 5 all around, I do get pulled over for it, I don't argue, I just pay any tickets the officer feels necessary issuing, because I know I am in the wrong for having tint that dark...

These pictures are pre ironman and drop, so no bashing, just showing the tint...

Old 10-03-2009, 01:14 PM
606zpx

3m color stable is non-metallic. Looks very good at 35%
Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Firemarshal2

JS, I would love to see more pics of your car. I have a slate blue G37 and am thinking about wheels and tint. It would give me an idea of what mine may look like. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by Firemarshal2
JS, I would love to see more pics of your car. I have a slate blue G37 and am thinking about wheels and tint. It would give me an idea of what mine may look like. Thanks.
The wheels are photoshopped in that picture, I couldn't convince myself to do the stock ones black because there is times where I love the way the stock color looks... but then again that picture makes black look real good, so I am torn there... here are a couple more, one taken by igor after doing ironman, and one taken by me from before... once I get home I will upload some more to the internet and put a link

Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by js3350z
That being said, I have 5 all around, I do get pulled over for it, I don't argue, I just pay any tickets the officer feels necessary issuing, because I know I am in the wrong for having tint that dark...
5% all around---I understand you know you’re wrong and are willing to be pulled over often and pay the tickets. But assuming this 5% includes the windshield, how can you see anything at night? Aren’t you concerned about the apparent safety issue here?

Before you say, “I can see perfectly at night,” I don’t see how that is possible.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by Chekov
5% all around---I understand you know you’re wrong and are willing to be pulled over often and pay the tickets. But assuming this 5% includes the windshield, how can you see anything at night? Aren’t you concerned about the apparent safety issue here?

Before you say, “I can see perfectly at night,” I don’t see how that is possible.
Nah, not on the windshield... I just got in the habit of saying "5 all around" because people around here put 5 on the back windows and 20 on the driver/pass thinking it is less illegal

5 on the windshield would be asinine
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Well, that’s a relief. I wouldn’t want to see a pix someday of a fellow blue slate G37 wrapped around a pole.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:23 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, that’s a relief. I wouldn’t want to see a pix someday of a fellow blue slate G37 wrapped around a pole.
nope, don't want that... You have a nice clean looking BS, when are you going to finally give in and mod it
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by js3350z
nope, don't want that... You have a nice clean looking BS, when are you going to finally give in and mod it
Well, as some of you know, I’m not much into mods. But I have changed my radio presets, and have a AOPA sticker on the rear window. Does that count?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
jhoffman

Originally Posted by Black Betty
How dark is strictly a matter of your personal preference and the local laws if you intend to follow them. Mine is 20% all around. I can't comment on metallic or ceramic because mine is neither. Why do you want those types?

The reason I was going towards metallic or ceramic was because they were the only methods I knew existed. How did you have yours done? Are there more than just 3 methods? Does anyone know the pros/cons of each?

Quick Reply: Window Tinting