Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Steering wheel shifts down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM
G37Philly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does it too and yes...I use entrance/exit feature. Would definitely be interested in what dealership has to say...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM
G35Rhino

The steering feels solid once the you hear the "pop". The movement is very minimal but does move enough to make a sound and like I said it's solid after that.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Tariq - G37x S

my g37xS does this too. I noticed it first when i put a little more pressure on top of the steering when i'm reversing.

yes, i also use the auto up function.

since it only happens once each drive, i haven't raised this with Infiniti.

I doubt they'll do anything. They'll likely tell you that its normal
Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Yanja

mine is fine. just a feedback
Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
yevi

Mine does it also and I use the steering wheel exit option as well... It is very minimal but a little annoying.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
the rever

Yep, mine does it. I have the entrance/exit feature on.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
gonpostal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should make this a poll. and yes i have it too
Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Herkypilot

Mine does not do it. I don't use the exit function.

09 G37 Journey with 12,000 miles.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would make it a poll, but not sure how... (admins: any help?)

As for taking it to the dealership, I have been swamped with work. Not sure when I will be able to take it in, but if someone else takes it in before I get a chance, please let me know what the dealership says.

For the people who say it does not happen to them, can you do me a favor. Move your steering wheel up and then back down. Now put a little pressure on the top and see if it shifts. I tried it today and it still shifted down...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G37s here ,mine too.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
KLB

I don't get it, but I do not use the exit feature.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
hdbrown2

I am not sure if your steering wheel shift is the same as mine but I also have a downward movment either as I back out of the garage in the morning or after making the first turn or two. In my case it turns out to be the steering tilt mechanism is not fully seating after tilting down. I have the auto tilt up on exit function on, so it always tilts down when I start the car.

I discovered the cause of my movement by manually pulling down on the steering wheel before driving off after start up. There is always a slight downward movement and an associated click. Once I have done the pull down, the tilt mechanism is locked into place and no further movement is possible. This situation is 100% repeatable. I actually find the movement of the wheel downward on backing out or the first turn more disturbing than the click.

When I took the car in for its first service, I asked the service advisor about the problem. The mechanic working on my car ended up calling Infiniti's mechanic's hot line. The guy there said that they have heard of the issue a few times and that all of the steering tilt mechanisims have some downward slack. However, the amount of slack varies from car to car. I went into the dealer's showroom and tried the pull down after tilt down action on three differnt new G37's. All of them had some movement although they all had less movement than my car and the click was barely audible. The hot line guy said that the fix is to replace the steering column, but that there is no assurance that it will improve the problem.

Since I know what is causing the movement and click, it does not bother me as much. I have gotten into the habit of pulling down on the steering wheel whenever I start the car. I have decided to live with it for awhile and see if it gets any worse.

Hal
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Alex57r

There was another thread on this before. Lots of Gs (including mine) do it but the degree of the clicking and how often it happens varries.

As Hal said, its harmless. SO dont worry about it as long as it is jsut one click when u first start driving, after that nothing should be clicking or moving.

Last edited by Alex57r; 09-29-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This has been a known issue since the V36 first came out. I believe the steering wheel play is considered normal. I got my sedan in 12/06 and it still occasionally does it too.

Tilt Steering Wheel Colum slight movement, Please help. - G35Driver

steering column issue (motorized) - G35Driver

Steering wheel drop problem - G35Driver
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
SindhiStyle

well it looks like infiniti's solution is to replace the entire steering column. I am not going to let my dealer change it out since the dealers around me seem to not know what they are doing, and will probably mess something else up while trying to replace it. I will probably just live with it unless Infiniti comes up with a better solution.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shifts down while driving