Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Ambient lighting fail

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
InfamousG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambient lighting fail

Hey,
So I went ahead and did the ambient lighting mod Danny had done, and it worked perfect. The wires went to the cigarette lighter. However after a few weeks one of the wires came loose, and I tried sticking it back in place. I shouldve shut off my headlights before trying this. So now none of my center console ambient lights turn on at night. The ones on the doors and around the speedometer light up fine, but the center console blew out I guess. Its impossible to see the time and everything at night. Any help? I'm hoping one of the wires came loose instead of burnt fuse or somethingg
Old 09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
nogoodname
Banned

might have short it out.... check your fuses
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yup sounds like fuses
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
InfamousG

Thats great...
Is the cig lighter fuse in the fuse box at the driver side or the one under the hood?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cigarette lighter should be in the driver footwell fuse box. It should be fuse #18. The question is what did you connect to? Your comment of shutting the headlight off implies it wasn't connected to the cig lighter power but the cig lighter illumination circuit. That's a different circuit and not sure which fuse. The fuse cover should have labels.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
InfamousG

Yeah sorry I forgot to specify. Its hooked up to the cigarette illumination. But now none of its lighting up, I'll have to check the fuse out
Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 AM
InfamousG

Ok so i checked the fuse box on the driver side and under the hood, neither of which have the circuit or lighting labeled there. Is there anywhere else I should look?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:46 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

You need to specify what's not lighting up. Your aftermarker ambients and what else? What about the lighting around the audio and AC *****?

The interior light circuit is fed by the IPDM E/R which is a power distribution module next to the battery and contains most of the lighting fuses. It's not easy to get to since it's between the battery and the fender but someone here posted how to unhook it and pull it out to open the cover - otherwise you need to remove the battery to get to it.

The interior lighting is fed off the tail lamp circuit by Fuse 53 in the IPDM E/R. Now if that fuse blew, you'd likely have some other items not working including illumination of most of your dash switches (Trunk switch, Door mirror switch, Heated Seat switches, Glove Box lamp) an possibly your LCD display.

If all of those are not illuminated then Fuse 53 is the source. If only some are not illuminated then it could be the wiring harness itself. Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM
InfamousG

Thanks for the input. Okay so here is what doesn't work:
The cigarette lighter LIGHT. All the lights in the center console that light up when the headlights are on, so like the clock, A/C buttons, PRND lighting, all the way until the screen. The window up/down and door lock buttons still light up, its just the center console lighting and then the controls on the steering wheel that don't light up.

Edit: I found this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-fuse-box.html
But its kind of hard to understand exactly where the box is/how to remove it.

Last edited by InfamousG; 09-26-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by InfamousG
Thanks for the input. Okay so here is what doesn't work:
The cigarette lighter LIGHT. All the lights in the center console that light up when the headlights are on, so like the clock, A/C buttons, PRND lighting, all the way until the screen. The window up/down and door lock buttons still light up, its just the center console lighting and then the controls on the steering wheel that don't light up.

Edit: I found this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-fuse-box.html
But its kind of hard to understand exactly where the box is/how to remove it.

Yup - That's the IPDM E/R.. You can see the 2 rows of fuses on either side of the wiring connectors.

It's located between the battery and the passenger fender. As that post shows it's held in place with the 2 clips on it's back. If you release the clips (it looks like you need to push the top of the clip toward the fender) it should allow it to slide up enough for you to remove the cover and check the fuses. I also noted that it appears that the entire cover over the battery was removed in that picture, not just access door. My reference is the 2008 service manual and Fuse 53 in that block should be the one. From your description of what's out that sounds like the right fuse.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hm weird, where was your grounding point? I've had to do the same but no problem so far.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM
InfamousG

I grounded the wires to the cars frame. It probably shorted cuz i tried connecting the wires while the power was running, so its just a dumb mistake by me. But thanks for all the hep everyone
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 AM
InfamousG

Which fuse is 53? I opened the fuse box and it just says the fuse names. Ughh i'm hella confused right now
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 AM
akuma_83

damn hopefully you get your issue with the lighting resolved... I wired my up to just the cig illum wires only and didnt ground the neg wire to the chasis... everything is working fine... keep us posted !
Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by InfamousG
Which fuse is 53? I opened the fuse box and it just says the fuse names. Ughh i'm hella confused right now

Here's the diagram - Fuse 53 is circled in Red:

I have to agree that Infiniti does not make it easy to find fuses. This is the first car I have where there isn't even a basic fuse layout in the owner's manual. And the service manual requires you to sift through circuit diagrams to find the right fuse since there's no table summarizing.

Check this fuse and see if it's blown which I'm almost positive it will be.

Quick Reply: Ambient lighting fail