Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Review AutoKits "Rear Valence Lip"

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not bad looking. wish it was a bit more aggressive or that someone would finally make a real diffuser. soli when are you ready to go to japan?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im a bit confused. Is there a difference between this thread "rear valance lip", and the teaser rear valance thread? Is there an additional lip to fit the bigger tip exhaust or is this the same exact thing, one valance?

Is there going to be a group buy price, similiar to the grills you guys had for sale?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I ordered a FG w/ CF. The CF is only around the mufflers. It does not provide any better heat resistance, just there for looks.
Is this correct? If so, that is pretty bad azz and a very well thought out design option. I'm impressed.

Dont mind the crude MS Paint. Yellow area will be CF (The rest I am painting satin black)
That's exactly what I would want to do. That brings up questions about paint. What would work best? Satin black paint and clear coat, satin black paint and no clear coat, black paint with a satin clear coat? Do you clear over the carbon fiber or not? Does the carbon fiber take well to being clear coated? Will heat from the exhaust tips be a concern? So many things to think about to get it right.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
xo4ox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Does the carbon fiber take well to being clear coated? Will heat from the exhaust tips be a concern? So many things to think about to get it right.
Good questions.. I want to know also
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this correct? If so, that is pretty bad azz and a very well thought out design option. I'm impressed.

That's exactly what I would want to do. That brings up questions about paint. What would work best? Satin black paint and clear coat, satin black paint and no clear coat, black paint with a satin clear coat? Do you clear over the carbon fiber or not? Does the carbon fiber take well to being clear coated? Will heat from the exhaust tips be a concern? So many things to think about to get it right.
I am doing regular black paint with satin clear over everything.

I had a full carbon fiber rear valance on my G35. I did not clear it but after 2 years it was still fine. Heat didnt affect it at all.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I am doing regular black paint with satin clear over everything.

I had a full carbon fiber rear valance on my G35. I did not clear it but after 2 years it was still fine. Heat didnt affect it at all.

Do you think the clear coat would be effected by the heat? I guess it all depends on how much heat and how close the tips are. Dual walled tips typically run cooler that single wall. Smaller diameter tips are going to have more room than the larger diameter tips obviously. I put the Greddy SE exhaust on Her car and the tips are dual walled (and awesome!) so I should be good to go.

I was wondering what would look better, satin black paint with a clear over everything or the black paint with a matte clear over everything. It all comes down to how you want the carbon fiber to look, shiny or dull. I think your plan is dead on and will look killer.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Do you think the clear coat would be effected by the heat? I guess it all depends on how much heat and how close the tips are. Dual walled tips typically run cooler that single wall. Smaller diameter tips are going to have more room than the larger diameter tips obviously. I put the Greddy SE exhaust on Her car and the tips are dual walled (and awesome!) so I should be good to go.

I was wondering what would look better, satin black paint with a clear over everything or the black paint with a matte clear over everything. It all comes down to how you want the carbon fiber to look, shiny or dull. I think your plan is dead on and will look killer.
I figure the paint above the tips has clear on it now, so why would clear on cf be any different? I do not want super shiny cf. It is why I am having the whole thing covered with a satin clear.

Plus when places bake the paint, they cure it at 160 F for 40-60 minutes. The clear will be fine.

If you do a black satin paint with a regular clear, it is going to come out glossy.

I plan on having my exhaust tips coated with black high temp paint as well.

If you want glossy cf, easiest thing is just to not clear the cf at all. The resin usually has a uv resitant additave anyways.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:15 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the paint will not no way be effected by the heat and neither will the CF.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:35 PM
falken119

these will fit tanabe exhaust..right???
Old 09-25-2009, 02:37 PM
nogoodname
Banned

they should fit....
Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I figure the paint above the tips has clear on it now, so why would clear on cf be any different? I do not want super shiny cf. It is why I am having the whole thing covered with a satin clear.

Plus when places bake the paint, they cure it at 160 F for 40-60 minutes. The clear will be fine.

If you do a black satin paint with a regular clear, it is going to come out glossy.

I plan on having my exhaust tips coated with black high temp paint as well.

If you want glossy cf, easiest thing is just to not clear the cf at all. The resin usually has a uv resitant additave anyways.
Like I said, I like your idea. I think the matte finish to both the black and cf is definately the way to go. I was mostly thinking out loud with all my ramblings. I'm not sure about the exhaust tips yet but that will be a different look and I look forward to seeing it. I've always wanted to do black chrome exhaust tips, but these GReddy SE tips look awesome in person so I'm not going to change that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this done. If fitment is pretty good, I would be doing the exact same cover in the same paint scheme almost right away.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
graphiteg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear coating CF for exterior parts is always the best bet.
No matter what epoxy/polyester/polyurethane system that is used for the CF, it will yellow. Yellowing is inevitable. With UV packages, you are only delaying the inevitable.
Especially with epoxy systems, it will chalk over time. This is from the UV + Heat slowly destroying the system.
My advise is, either clear coat it glossy or matte (yes, there are matte finish clear coats available).
Also, with a clear coat, you can wax your CF like you normally would with standard car waxes.
Clear coating CF parts is a bit difficult for the beginners. I suggest taking it to a well known paint shop to take care of it for you.
This is true for both "Dry" (pre-impregnated) and "Wet" lay carbon fiber.

If you would like to know more about paint, CF, or coatings, feel free to PM me your questions.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by falken119
these will fit tanabe exhaust..right???
I have Tanabe exhaust, so I will let you know in 1-2 weeks how it fits
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I need to place my order for the full carbon version? How much do I need?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Raizon

Originally Posted by BOXER83
Do I need to place my order for the full carbon version? How much do I need?
You must like reading only the last page of threads. You can clearly see the pricing listed on the first page.

Quick Reply: Review AutoKits "Rear Valence Lip"