Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Scratch and Paint Chip missed at delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
rhyno76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scratch and Paint Chip missed at delivery

Please let me know what you guys have experienced if you've had similar situations...

I picked up my new G37x coupe last week from the dealership. I don't know if it was the dark lighting in the showroom or what, but as meticulous as I am, I still managed to miss a paint chip behind the passenger door and a series of 4-5" light scratches (looks like tree branch scrapes) right below the passenger side headlamp on the bumper.

I took it into the service center today to have some other things worked on and brought these up. The service guy told me I need to discuss these issues with the sales manager. He seemed to believe me\empathize with me but referred me to my original salesman, who will be returning my voice mail sometime this morning.

I imagine they're looking the car over before they call me back. Any tips on what to say to get them to cover this damage or am I pretty much SOL for not noticing it at the time of delivery?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on dealer. Some are real good. Some are not. Are the scratches through the clearcoat?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
rhyno76

The scratches on the bumper appear to be pretty shallow. Though I can feel them - I don't think it made it all the way through the clearcoat.

I could probably go the meguiar's scratch x route on the bumper, but I haven't used it before and don't want to jack up the bumper any worse than it is already.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Well ur salesman is suppose to go over the whole car with u before he hands u the keys to the car. He's gotta ask u if everythings seems ok, and if u say yes then he hands u the keys. I had a similar situation with my G too. I took ownership of my car at like 10pm cause of all the haggling and then all the paperwork, then the salesman showed me how everything works, etc...... Turned out the next morning when I started inspecting the car the passenger side speaker cover was broken so I immediately took it back to the dealer, at first they were, well ur salesman and u should have inspected the vehicle before u drove out, and I was like we did but it was real late. Anyways they originally were gonna have to special order the part but they just took it off another G that was sitting in their lot. Sorry for the long a$$ story.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM
joelmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went over the car functionality, inspection, etc... but i still managed to miss a door ding on the passenger side rear quater. I noticed it when i got home from the dealer. I called my sales guy right away and left a message. he called me back in a couple of hours and told me he would make arrangments for a dent wizzrd guy to make it right. so far, i am very happy with the dealer.

i think hamstersG is right, it is going to come down to your dealer's atttitude about customer support.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
rhyno76

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I spoke with my salesman and he said he'd look into the problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pass along the results once I hear back from him.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
WhiteGhost

Taking it in a week after you bought it is a long time not to notice these flaws. Depending on the dealership and how much they want to keep their customers happy will determine wether they fix it or not. I think it will work out for you and they will fix it for you.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Here ya go

Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only works on old Stangs.

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Here ya go

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
rhyno76

OK. Well, here's the scoop...good news: the repair was free. bad news: bumper scratch was into the paint in spots so they fixed what they could without getting into the factory paint. They filled the paint chip as well.

Lesson learned...go over your new car with a fine-tooth comb and a flashlight regardless of how late your negotiations go or how close the dealership is to closing for the night.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by rhyno76
OK. Well, here's the scoop...good news: the repair was free. bad news: bumper scratch was into the paint in spots so they fixed what they could without getting into the factory paint. They filled the paint chip as well.

Lesson learned...go over your new car with a fine-tooth comb and a flashlight regardless of how late your negotiations go or how close the dealership is to closing for the night.
"Filled the paint chip"? "Fixed what they could".???
Personally that would not be acceptable to me, but I guess you were between a rock and a hard place since it took you so long to notice.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
rhyno76

I was willing to meet them in the middle considering they didn't have to do anything.

I wasn't really between a rock and a hard place, they did offer to paint it, but every time I've had a bumper repainted, the paint has started flaking over time and ends up looking 10x worse than a couple hairline scratches. Maybe that's just me, but that's been my experience that a repaint is never quite as good as factory.

And if anyone is close enough to see the rock chip in the side, I'll just swing the door out on 'em!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I think you made the right decision. I have had terrible luck with dealer repaints just like you with clear coats flaking, paint loss, bubbling and on and on.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM
rhyno76

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I think you made the right decision. I have had terrible luck with dealer repaints just like you with clear coats flaking, paint loss, bubbling and on and on.
Thanks CHI-TOWN for not making me feel quite so tarded