Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Headlight housing question, AFS, Iron Man V2

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
JKashat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight housing question, AFS, Iron Man V2

Ok, so my '09 Coupe is equipped with the AFS (headlights move w/ steering wheel). I have ordered and received the Carbon Fiber headlight housing from Ivory GT. I planned on removing my headlights and shipping them and the housings to Igor@180Customs to have them installed along with the IronMan V2 mod and possibly some other LED lighting. Since my car is a daily driver, I decided instead of having the car in the garage undrivable while the lights and bumper were off that I would just try and find a good deal on set of headlights and ship them out for the mods w/o any down time...

My question is, I can get a brand new set of non-AFS complete headlight housings from a friend here on MyG37; Can they be made to work with the AFS motor? IE - Can I ship these to Igor, have the CF housing installed along w/ the IronMan V2 and other LED work, have them send back to me, take my bumper/lights out and take the AFS motors off the original set and install it on the new non-AFS set making it a AFS set?

Please help!

FYI-I'm not installing the lights until the CF grill and CF wrapped Stillen Splitter arrive. And, will probably get the 180Custom CF rear diffuser (after the well know issue I had with Status Elite).

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
JKashat

Bump! Don't forget about me please, LOL.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good question. I dont have AFS so I dont know much about how the motor works but just guessing that wont work or will have complications. Why not just slap the non-AFS on your car and ship your AFS to Igor for modification? I know its one extra step but then you would not have any issues at all.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump after 36min!? Haha.

I don't think it'd work because I think the headlights equipped with AFS is internally mechanically different than the non-AFS ones. So, even if you swap the ballast, there would be no mechanical AFS parts in the lights to move. Unless by motor, you're referring to the internals of AFS.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....
Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I was in your same situation Jeff. I won't say that it's completely impossible because I don't know that for a 100% certainty, but I don't think you can simply swap the AFS parts off of your original lights onto another set. I'm pretty sure you can't because they are not just "bolt on" type parts to make the AFS work, the housings are somewhat different. Even if it is possible, it's certainly not practical.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we all know I'm usually not.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sense another email from vendor thread :P
Jeff the Vendor killer!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM
JKashat

Originally Posted by GeeeeOhhhh
I sense another email from vendor thread :P
Jeff the Vendor killer!
LMFAO!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:08 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1. Might be an extra step, but as easy as it is to swap lights it would be a lot less work in total and less risk.

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Good question. I dont have AFS so I dont know much about how the motor works but just guessing that wont work or will have complications. Why not just slap the non-AFS on your car and ship your AFS to Igor for modification? I know its one extra step but then you would not have any issues at all.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
This is how it ended up working out for me. Worth the extra time and shipping costs IMO. You will have an AFS light on in your cluster with the non AFS lights installed, but other than that they will work correctly without AFS functionality. Then sell the non AFS set to Igor, Danny, or whoever else is looking for a spare set.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 PM
IvoryGT
Former Sponsor

^+1 No sense swapping the internals. It can be done but no reason to.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
w0ady

ya just swap the lights. put the non-afs on while you send out yours and swap them back. you'll be doing 1 more swap but less work in the long run.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKashat
Ok, so my '09 Coupe is equipped with the AFS (headlights move w/ steering wheel). I have ordered and received the Carbon Fiber headlight housing from Ivory GT. I planned on removing my headlights and shipping them and the housings to Igor@180Customs to have them installed along with the IronMan V2 mod and possibly some other LED lighting. Since my car is a daily driver, I decided instead of having the car in the garage undrivable while the lights and bumper were off that I would just try and find a good deal on set of headlights and ship them out for the mods w/o any down time...

My question is, I can get a brand new set of non-AFS complete headlight housings from a friend here on MyG37; Can they be made to work with the AFS motor? IE - Can I ship these to Igor, have the CF housing installed along w/ the IronMan V2 and other LED work, have them send back to me, take my bumper/lights out and take the AFS motors off the original set and install it on the new non-AFS set making it a AFS set?

Please help!

FYI-I'm not installing the lights until the CF grill and CF wrapped Stillen Splitter arrive. And, will probably get the 180Custom CF rear diffuser (after the well know issue I had with Status Elite).

Thanks,
Jeff
When will you be done~~~ im waiting in the rain for months to have a look at those CF grill
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
JKashat

Splitter is done. They are just waiting for Stillen to ship the mounting hardware as it was missing and the grill isn't too far out. Can't wait.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
It wont be that easy, you'll need to swap out the projector and the little motor that adjusts the projector in place. Just send me your original AFS headlights and use the non-afs headlights as spares.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM
JKashat

sounds good. I should have the non-AFS headlights Sunday. I will try and sway them out during the week and ship you the AFS headlights and the Carbon Fiber housings. FYI - 2 of the little taps on one CF housing are broken. IvoryGT said for you to repair them at his expense.

Quick Reply: Help Headlight housing question, AFS, Iron Man V2