Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Impossible to color match amethyst graphite?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh and the body shop uses shermin williams paint. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing
Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Ruvik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shermin williams paint should match better than that. and Yes Shermin williams is a good brand of paint for dull and dark colors not hight metalics tho.. but good luck.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
w0ady

ya its tough to get an exact match. blending helps get rid of the definitely line between the old/new paint so its harder to tell. but if you pay attention to details, it will always bother you. ive had this issue with both my athens blue g's now. just have to live with it i guess.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
You're going to waste your timing picking new shades especially urself, after a few min of looking you won't even be able to tell which shade is darker or lighter, just have the shop blend it and call it a day.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:09 AM
beerme986

Thanks for the replies. The shop said they do not want to blend on the car especially since it has only 5,000 miles. Plus they said I knew I would be able to tell the difference since I am picky about perfection. Anyway they are going to repaint it in a couple weeks with the paint rep again. Will keep you guys posted on how this terms out!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 AM
CarbonKings

To match it perfectly is possible. 20 to 1 Id say though. Most shops wouldnt refund because of the missmatch so Im glad you at least got it back to get a 2nd chance at another place. But this needs to be taken into consideration when painting.

Temperature when mixing
Temp at spraying
Temp at drying
spray viscosity
spray width
even spray coats
base coat
clear coat (some have a yellow tint... Most do)
humidity durring all of this
material being painted
Even the type of gun.

I can explain it all but its allot to explain about each one. But everything here has to do with the evaporation speed of certain chemicles in paints that alter the tint over the time of the spraying.

Not even the factory the car came from can color match the same batch perfectly twice. Unless its a lucky mix.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
Thanks for the replies. The shop said they do not want to blend on the car especially since it has only 5,000 miles. Plus they said I knew I would be able to tell the difference since I am picky about perfection. Anyway they are going to repaint it in a couple weeks with the paint rep again. Will keep you guys posted on how this terms out!
They don't want to blend it beacuse it'll cost more. They have to prep the adjacent panels which is labor intensive and should cost more but since you've already paid they don't want any additional costs. It has nothing to do with the mileage.

I spoke with the body shop manager at two high end body shops -- Ray Catina - MB, Jag's, Land Rovers's, Maybachs etcs. I believe his name was Rich and as per his company tag lines they will not accept silver/metallic jobs where the owner doesn't want the panels touched. Initally I didn't want my panels touched because I felt that this shouldn't be that difficult to get right. It was a very minor < 5/hr lovetap that cost $900 (using the dealer) to repair.
I'll try to explain it here as best as possible without going overboard.
Using different guns with the same formula will produce different results. So now think of all the variables that change from the factory to your bodyshop. Also with flop the glass particles suspended in the paint formula are sensitive with the spray pattern used (distance from surface, number of passes, type of paint formula used, etc) even the angle that the paint is applied can affect the perceived visual differences. This is why the paint can look spot on from one angle and completely different from another.

There are just so many possibilities (including what the previous post has) that the best choices for the greatest chance of success is to blend it. But best of luck though and post pictures after they're completed their work.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
puertorociii

Originally Posted by beerme986
oh and the body shop uses shermin williams paint. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing
Well I would like to share my thoughts if I may. I am the North East Regional Technical Representative for Sherwin Williams Automotive. I have painted cars for years and bumpers are very dificult to match to the vehicle with out blending. Bumpers when sprayed at the OE level are not baked at 600 degrees. (The plastic will melt) and yes there are many many variables involved with the final result. Let me ask you this, Have you ever driven to a car dealer and noticed that cars with next to no miles have mismatched bumpers on them already. Yes the difference in substrates play a part in the final result as plastics have static and effect the way metallics lay down on some colors as well as different guns tip sizes and pressures. Other variables like the Quality of paints and clear coats can crucify your color match also. Some shops use good basecoats and cheap clears becuase good clears are very expensive. Cheap clears tend to shade to the yellow side there fore the more clear you apply the results are more likely to be off. The fact is it is a hit or miss when just spraying a bumper without blending. You have to tint the color to get it closer. Alot of shops use the other bumper as a reference to get out of achieving an excellent and getting an exceptable match. Also in your picture the fuel door looks to be off also and you didnt have that sprayed right?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
SpawnAero
Former Sponsor

I'm a painter myself. If you get a perfect match I'll be surprised. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM
beerme986

The body shop did get the color match 95% after many representatives from the company had come out. I understand now nothing will be 100% color match and dread the day when I have to repaint my bumper due to rock chips. Thanks for all your input!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
the only way to match is to paint and blend. I never saw any bumper match w/o blending