Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Paint Fading Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Persephone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Fading Issues?

The lower front bumper of my VR G seems to be fading. I have had the car since February and just noticed it a few weeks ago. When I run my hand across the lower part of the bumper it is nice and smooth across the part that is fine and rough across the faded part.

I have washed, clayed, polished and waxed the car and the rest of it looks fine. I haven't been to the dealer yet but I am planning on taking her sometime soon.

Has anybody else seen this on their cars?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Stems

I wonder if that could be a sign of the clear coat starting to fail? Have you had a chance to check the paint with a guage?

Not too sure mind you, just throwing something out there
Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Persephone

Originally Posted by Stems
I wonder if that could be a sign of the clear coat starting to fail? Have you had a chance to check the paint with a guage?

Not too sure mind you, just throwing something out there
That seems like a possibility. I haven't taken it to anyone yet. I was going to start with the dealer since they should fix it because it is the factory finish.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:27 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
was it repainted while at the dealership maybe?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM
nogoodname
Banned

the clear coat is fine....i have one of the 1st G37's made and it's good.

it's a good chance it was repainted, the front could have been bumped. small things like this are painted without the future owner having to know about it at purchasing.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, red is the first color to oxidize, and that's what it looks like to me. I've had two Red Integra GSR's and the rear spoiler (plastic) was the first thing on both cars to oxidize. It's something about Red paint on plastic parts. Have you tried using a high speed buffer on the bumper?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 PM
BiskitG37

I've had my VR since January 2008, and it sits in the FL sun - and no fading. I did have the front bumper repainted about 8 months ago because of some scratches, and you really can't tell the difference between the bumper and the rest of the car.

The dealer is the best place to go first since it sounds like it is going to need repainting. The rough feeling makes me think it's definitely a clearcoat issue.

Let us know what happens...
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Persephone

I am going to drop by the dealer on the way home tonight and see what they have to say. This isn't the dealer I bought her from so they wouldn't know about any repainting that may or may not have been done. No repainting was disclosed to me when I bought the car. I have seen others posting about undisclosed repaints.

My other car is a red 95 celica so I know about red paint fading issues. Even before I had her repainted in 04 I had never seen anything like what is happening with the G.

I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully they will just fix it without a lot of trouble.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Persephone

The dealer says they are going to fix it for me and have Infiniti cover it and give me a car while they have mine.

The service guy said he could tell that it had been repaired previously. When I bought the car the other dealer didn't disclose any paint repairs. The service guy said it could have been repaired before it even got to that dealer so they might not have known. As long as Infiniti makes it right I'll be ok with it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I don't think that red oxidizes any faster than any other color- especially with only 4 months of ownership. My wife has a red 2005 Pathfinder and the paint on it looks almost brand new.

This is obviously either a manufacturer defect or the bumper has had some paint work.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Persephone

The dealer took care of it yesterday. Whatever it was came out the buffer. She looks fine now.