Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Is it normal that there is water condensation in headlight for a new 09 G37x...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM
njchen24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it normal that there is water condensation in headlight for a new 09 G37x...?

Greetings:

Finally, I just took a delivery of a new 09 G37x yesterday. The outside was spotless with no paint nicks or chips anywhere. The interior was decently clean but not spotless. There are some unclean areas, door panel and the overhead hand holders. At the last minute before driving the car away from the dealer, I notice that there are water condensation inside both headlight lenses in the same area as shown below but disappear overnight. I show them to the sale rep and take the car anyway since this is my second delivery (I refuse the 1st one due to a paint chip in the driver side edge door) and I don't want to give the sale person a hard time. He was extremely nice and worked out with me in all aspects and my demands.

This car like the 1st one has some black stuff on the rim. I have been told that it is for protection and will go away after a few wash.

Is it normal that the headlight has water condensation? Have anyone seen this black stuff on the rim when you pick your car up?

How come the manufacture date is 08/08 and it is an 09 model? That's probably explain the $31.5k price tag while other dealer are $1k to $2k more.

Thanks in advance for your comments and inputs.

Last edited by njchen24; 08-15-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have not seen the black stuff on the rims. Mine are perfect. Should not be that way. Also, the lights should not have moisture in them. They should replace under warranty since they are new and have not been opened for customization......talk to service.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Condensation in the lights is not normal. Take it back if it happens again. My rims didn't have any black stuff on them either.

Many 09's were built in 08. Most of the time model years are released in the Summer/ Fall of the previous year. Just like many '08s were built in 07. I took delivery of my 2008 in early Oct 2007. It was built in late Sept 2007.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
G37xS

There should be no condensation and ask them to detail the car properly that includes cleaning the rims.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:05 PM
sebounet

Condensation in headlight is normal , i saw a TSB for that, when you wash the car with high pressure and also a difference in temperature between water and cars temperature it could happen, it should dissapear quickly (few hours)

I had the same problem and found this tsb

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2001-2009 Infiniti, All Models
SERVICE INFORMATION:
Occasionally customers may notice water in the exterior lamps. This is generally NOT due to a defect.
The following information, illustrations, and flow chart are provided to help you in determining if this incident for
water/condensation in lamps is normal or not.
All current exterior lamp assemblies are vented to the atmosphere (not sealed).
• This is necessary to allow for expansion and contraction of air from temperature "variations" (warmer or
colder) without damage to the lamp.
• Moisture in the air sometimes "travels" into and out of the lamp assembly through these vents.
• Certain environmental conditions may cause moisture to condense.
• The fogging/cloudiness should disappear over time when the lamp is in a dry environment.

If the moisture trickles, drips, or pools, it may not be considered normal and the headlamp assembly may have
a water leak path.

Last edited by sebounet; 06-02-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
if it keeps happening, bring it back to the dealer. 8/08 is the production month your car was built
Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does that black speckling wipe off at all? Almost reminds me of fresh brake dust on a recently waxed or polished rim --
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
njchen24

Thank you all for your input and advices.

Special thanks for the TSB. Effectively, the water condensation happened after they wash the car thoroughly and the temperature has dropped a couple degrees in the evening around 6~7 pm.
Do you mind to share where you get the TSB from? I would like to take a look at the chart mentioned in the TSB.

One thing solved. Now the black stuff on the rim, I haven't tried any product to remove it yet. But I can't removed them with either my finger nails or by rubbing my finger over it.

Originally Posted by sebounet
Condensation in headlight is normal , i saw a TSB for that, when you wash the car with high pressure and also a difference in temperature between water and cars temperature it could happen, it should dissapear quickly (few hours)

I had the same problem and found this tsb

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2001-2009 Infiniti, All Models
SERVICE INFORMATION:
Occasionally customers may notice water in the exterior lamps. This is generally NOT due to a defect.
The following information, illustrations, and flow chart are provided to help you in determining if this incident for
water/condensation in lamps is normal or not.
All current exterior lamp assemblies are vented to the atmosphere (not sealed).
• This is necessary to allow for expansion and contraction of air from temperature "variations" (warmer or
colder) without damage to the lamp.
• Moisture in the air sometimes "travels" into and out of the lamp assembly through these vents.
• Certain environmental conditions may cause moisture to condense.
• The fogging/cloudiness should disappear over time when the lamp is in a dry environment.

If the moisture trickles, drips, or pools, it may not be considered normal and the headlamp assembly may have
a water leak path.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by njchen24
Thank you all for your input and advices.

Special thanks for the TSB. Effectively, the water condensation happened after they wash the car thoroughly and the temperature has dropped a couple degrees in the evening around 6~7 pm.
Do you mind to share where you get the TSB from? I would like to take a look at the chart mentioned in the TSB.

One thing solved. Now the black stuff on the rim, I haven't tried any product to remove it yet. But I can't removed them with either my finger nails or by rubbing my finger over it.

here you'll find the tsb, you need to register to read it, it's free, but you could download only 2 per days , if i remenber

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...d&pp=12&page=2
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 AM
njchen24

Originally Posted by sebounet
here you'll find the tsb, you need to register to read it, it's free, but you could download only 2 per days , if i remenber

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...d&pp=12&page=2
Thank you much for the link.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Many 09's were built in 08. Most of the time model years are released in the Summer/ Fall of the previous year. Just like many '08s were built in 07. I took delivery of my 2008 in early Oct 2007. It was built in late Sept 2007.
How can one find out the build date of their car?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
It's on a sticker in the door jamb